Outdoor Weddings

Re: No more:)

• In case of snow guests might want to bring extra shoes/boots and/or a nice wrap to keep them warm. I'd say yes, put it on the invitations.

• If your invites state that it's outside, you're fine. H and I got married outside and it was obvious - the location was a bridge. Guests assume that you're going to take care of them and have a plan B in the event of inclement weather. Our plan B was a tent. We put that info on our website (NOT our invites). Something like "in the event it rains, the ceremony will take place under a tent."

I think you may want to decide on conditions that would be uncomfortable for guests and stick to it - no matter how badly you want to get married outside. For example, if your only condition is "ice" as you say, I would re-think this. There's a thread on the etiquette board of what people are comfortable with at an outdoor wedding and you could get a good idea from that what temperatures and conditions would be ok for guests.
    *********************************************************************************

• I grew up in the Dayton - Springfield area (southern part of the state) and I never saw a March that was warm enough for an outdoor wedding.  I am not trying to be snarky, I'm just a 4 time MOB who is asking if you are truly being realistic about this?  I remember some snow days from high school in March (I only remember that because my bday is late March and I got a snow day one year!).

Please remember that your ceremony may be 10 minutes, but your guests will arrive 15-30 minutes early and then there will be the mingling around afterward.  Are you truly being realistic here?  Again, I really am not trying to be Debby Downer, but can I ask why you chose March for an outdoor wedding?  Ice is not the only thing that should stop an outdoor wedding.
  • WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    We included information on a separate insert card that said our ceremony would be outside (early November).  It is also on our website.   You just need to clearly put your guests on notice.  When I asked about this on the etiquette board several folk said it was too cold to wear wedding clothes outside if ________.   But, IMO, if you put your guests on notice of an outdoor event, some of the responsibility shifts to them to dress accordingly.  That said, it is still on you to keep your guests comfort in mind as much as possible.  Provide hot beverages, provide heaters, provide blankets, have a place they can wait inside until it's time to start, and keep your ceremony short.

But, from someone who went to HS outside of Cleveland for two years, I don't remember any day in March ever being anywhere close to 80 degrees or what I'd consider warm enough for an outdoor wedding. And I've lived in Montana & now Colorado so I'm cold weather tolerant. I rode horses in my OH days and was outside all the time and remember early spring in OH being very cold, snowy, and muddy as all get out.  I know our horse shows at that time of year were all indoors still.   Is there a chance you'll get that outdoor weather?  Sure.  But I think it's a very slim chance and that odds are you won't.  I personally would plan on an indoor wedding and if you can move it outside, wonderful.  Not the other way around.

• My brother got married last year on the first weekend in March and it was 76 degrees. We are hoping for that:) But like I said in origional post, there are also years it snows. My moms birthday is March 20 and it's been about equal amount of years of nice weather vs cold/snow. Guests will be inside until about 5 mins before ceremony starts and they will be seated in the covered bridge and the venue supplies heaters for in there if necessary. The reception venue is also only about 200 ft from ceremony site so there won't be any need to linger outside after:) If completely necessary, we can move it indoor to our reception area, but are we are going to try to do outside.
  • I live in NW ohio and I cant imagine why you chose an outdoor ceremony site.  It could be snowy, icy, rainy and windy and even if its on the warmer side, it could be wet and muddy and just plain yucky.  Id be upset if I got dressed up and had to deal with inclement conditions.  That being said, yes you should state very clearly on you invitations what your guests could be in for.

• I live in NW ohio and I cant imagine why you chose an outdoor ceremony site.  It could be snowy, icy, rainy and windy and even if its on the warmer side, it could be wet and muddy and just plain yucky.  Id be upset if I got dressed up and had to deal with inclement conditions.  That being said, yes you should state very clearly on you invitations what your guests could be in for.
    As I stated previously, if absolutely necessary, we can have it indoors in the same building as our reception, which is only about 20 steps from where the outdoor ceremony would be. Most of the guests will be from upstate NY, where I grew up, and for all of us, 40 degrees is plenty warm enough, but we will obviously make sure it is an appropriate atmosphere for all invited, including the newborns and elderly. We will not make people sit outside in 40 degree weather, snow, ice, rain, etc. That's why we have an indoor venue arranged as well
  • Sembree1 said:
    My brother got married last year on the first weekend in March and it was 76 degrees. We are hoping for that:) But like I said in origional post, there are also years it snows. My moms birthday is March 20 and it's been about equal amount of years of nice weather vs cold/snow. Guests will be inside until about 5 mins before ceremony starts and they will be seated in the covered bridge and the venue supplies heaters for in there if necessary. The reception venue is also only about 200 ft from ceremony site so there won't be any need to linger outside after:) If completely necessary, we can move it indoor to our reception area, but are we are going to try to do outside.
    Also, keep in mind that the weather from last March was freaky and out of the norm.  We had 3 days in the 80's in March here in MI and lost our entire fruit tree crop.  2012's weather should not be used as a frame of reference.  It was abnormally warm and caused dire consequences for many crops.

• Viczaesar said:
    OP, deleting your original post is rude.
    I wasn't trying to just delete the origional post, I wanted to delete the whole post so it wouldn't keep popping up in the message boards bc the situation is taken care of so I didn't want to waste peoples time with them reading/answering when it's now a non-issue.....I'll try again to see if I can delete the whole thread

• Viczaesar said:
    I wasn't trying to just delete the origional post, I wanted to delete the whole post so it wouldn't keep popping up in the message boards bc the situation is taken care of so I didn't want to waste peoples time with them reading/answering when it's now a non-issue.....I'll try again to see if I can delete the whole thread
  • Sembree1 said:
    Viczaesar said:
    These are the kinds of threads that are really helpful to lurkers.. so the same question doesn't get posted over and over again. KWIM? 

If you want the whole thread deleted, my understanding is that you'd have to delete your entire account (send a PM to knotporscha). It's possible, part of posting to a forum is that you're helping your own situation, but also the situations of others who may have the same question.
    *********************************************************************************

• Sembree1 said:

Viczaesar said:
    I specifically clicked on this thread because of the title. Changing the names of threads to something like "No more" or "." only makes more people look at it. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards