Pre-wedding Parties

Anyone ever planned Vegas Bachelorette?

I'm the MOH for a wedding in May and the Bride has requested her Bachelorette to be a 3/4 day weekend in late Feb or March. 
My question is, when do i start planning???  I sent out a preliminary email with a rough idea and date of the event to see who could make it and I got responses from less then half of the girls, so I don't know if it's too early or if I should be giving them more firm details...or should they be pitching in ideas since it's also their trip too? 
and, does anyone have any great ,ideas that worked well? 

Re: Anyone ever planned Vegas Bachelorette?

• People aren't responding, because most people cannot afford to attend a destination bachelorette party. Even if they can afford to go, they will want to make plans that fit their own schedules.

Pick the weekend with the bride. Make hotel and flight reservations for the two of you. Email out those details. Everyone else can make their own hotel and flight accomodations on their own time.

You don't all need to sit together on the plane (or even take the same flight). You also don't need to stay in the same hotel.

Plan an event for each night (show, club, etc) and email out those details.

The key is flexibility and realizing that the group doesn't need to spend all day every day together.
  • Suzie31 said:
    I'm the MOH for a wedding in May and the Bride has requested her Bachelorette to be a 3/4 day weekend in late Feb or March. 
    My question is, when do i start planning???  I sent out a preliminary email with a rough idea and date of the event to see who could make it and I got responses from less then half of the girls, so I don't know if it's too early or if I should be giving them more firm details...or should they be pitching in ideas since it's also their trip too? 
    and, does anyone have any great ,ideas that worked well? 
    I don't think timing is necessarily the issue here - I think it's money. Depending on your circle, a lot of people probably can't afford to go to Vegas for a bachelorette party.

I would first ask if people can afford a trip to Vegas. It's not your only option - even if that's what the bride wants. If people can't afford it the bride has a decision to make: 1) Is location more important? If yes, go to Vegas anyway; or 2) Are people more important? If yes, plan something everyone can afford. 
    *********************************************************************************

• the bride should get a party that you and her bachelorette party guests can afford.  she does not get to dictate this at all.  If she wants a 3/4 day vegas trip then she can plan a trip! 

people have not responded because they probably cannot/do not want to go.  Send one more email asking for a response by a certain date so you can start preparing a budget for those that do want to go.  Definitely get ideas/budget for those that want to go.  Not sure where you are from but the earlier you plan sometimes you can get better airfare.  Have a general idea of cost so people can know what they are in for.  The worst thing is when you think it will be this much and then half the people decline so it doubles the cost on everyone else.  If the bride insists this is what she wants then she should be prepared to help with the cost.  Its one thing to cover her dinner or something but no way would I ever make my friends fork over money for my airfare, hotel and extras for the whole 3/4 days.

I was invited to two bachelorette parties in vegas and I declined both of them.  both were disasters because cost was always more than planned.  Do not count on anyone's money until airfare is bought.  Many people will say yes I want to do this and then they find out the cost and will later decline/ forcing the cost on the others.  So be sure you have a means to pay the difference if that happens. 

Anniversary
  • You need to talk to the bride and see what her priorities are.  Is it more important to have a small get away with a couple of girls, or is a big bachelorette party with all of her friends present more importnat.  She will find that a lot of people can not come to a destination bachelorette party.  I personally get one vacation a year, and would probably decline unless it was my best friend or sister.  A lot of people can't swing a whole extra trip, because the bride wants her bachelorette party in vegas. 

This is coming from a bride having a destination wedding, FI and I have to decide if we would be okay with a  majority of our guest not being able to come.  We talked to the small number of people that would really matter, and they were ok with it so all of the extra guests are bonuses to us and we completely understand that people can not drop everything to take a vacation with us. 

• I don't think it's too early to be planning - getting an idea of dates and costs and events.  But it could be too early for some people to commit to a destination bachelorette party.  I haven't planned one, but I've attended several - generally, I commit to them about two months in advance.  Went on a group flight once - we were all still in school, so we had the same schedules.  Post school, everyone has booked their own flights - that way they can go on their preferred airline, use frequent flier miles, pick the flights that work with their own schedules, etc.  Everyone has made their own hotel reservations, with most people opting to stay at the same hotel as the bride, but there's usually one or two that stay elsewhere.  The one group event per day suggested by a prior poster is a really good "rule" to follow.  Also, prices spike a bit in March because of spring break and March Madness, so you may find better deals in February.  If price is not a significant factor, March is a much more fun month to party in Vegas than February. 
  • I would start checking out hotel/flight costs and into the costs of things the bride wants to do while there such as shows, food, etc. Also figure in women being women, some new outfits will probably be needed. :)

I personally couldn't afford money or vacation time wise to do a bachlorette party like that. And that's probably the case here. If the bride is ok with a small group (which may not even include the entire bridal party) then go for it, else come up with a fun local experience which also could end at a nice local hotel.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards