Wedding Woes

Rehearsal Dinner

Hello Everyone, I have been bumping heads with my MIL who is stuck in her old ways or something else, not sure. I am looking for advice on how to handle the situation or to let me know if I am in the worng. My MIL is excited for the marriage and everything and is a nice person, but she is stubborn. For the rehearsal dinner she wants it to be at Old Country Buffet. I in no way want to eat there the night before our wedding. My fiance agrees. When I mentioned we were not a fan she said thats where I took my other son for his so thats where you are having yours. Her other son got married 15 years ago. I am flexible on where I would be happy with Buffalo Wild Wings. Am I right on this that OCB is no way ok for a rehearsal dinner?

Another issue we have been having is she keeps adding people to the guest list. My family only has 29 people invited, 10 more than likely not coming. She has the list ramped up to 104 people. I wanted a small wedding becuase we cant afford it. I have point blank (nicely) said if she wants all those extra people she has to pay for the extra. She is not helping at all with the wedding money wise. We only wanted about 75 people. I even tried to compromise with well we can do no children (Hate to admit I prefer) and that would take down the number. She said that won't fly with the family. What am I going to do?

Thank you to anyone who gives advice. :)

Re: Rehearsal Dinner

• She wants everyone to eat at Old Cunt for dinner? I think she secretly hates you and wants you to get food poisoning the night before your wedding. And honestly, if you pay you decide the guest list.
  • I agree - I get sick whenever I eat there. I don't want to be bloated and gross feeling for my big day. I'm thinking of offering to pay the difference between OCB and if we went somewhere else.
  • Congratulations on the baby :)
  • PirateBarbiePirateBarbie member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    ogorm013 said:

Hello Everyone, I have been bumping heads with my MIL who is stuck in her old ways or something else, not sure. I am looking for advice on how to handle the situation or to let me know if I am in the worng. My MIL is excited for the marriage and everything and is a nice person, but she is stubborn. For the rehearsal dinner she wants it to be at Old Country Buffet. I in no way want to eat there the night before our wedding. My fiance agrees. When I mentioned we were not a fan she said thats where I took my other son for his so thats where you are having yours. Her other son got married 15 years ago. I am flexible on where I would be happy with Buffalo Wild Wings. Am I right on this that OCB is no way ok for a rehearsal dinner?

Another issue we have been having is she keeps adding people to the guest list. My family only has 29 people invited, 10 more than likely not coming. She has the list ramped up to 104 people. I wanted a small wedding becuase we cant afford it. I have point blank (nicely) said if she wants all those extra people she has to pay for the extra. She is not helping at all with the wedding money wise. We only wanted about 75 people. I even tried to compromise with well we can do no children (Hate to admit I prefer) and that would take down the number. She said that won't fly with the family. What am I going to do?

Thank you to anyone who gives advice. :)

1) ugh. no. that's disgusting. not only is the food bad, but it's full of old people. 
    2) you and your FI pay for the RD and have it wherever you want. 
    3) where in the world is your FI in all of this, and why is he not shutting down his mom? That's a huge red flag for me. this isn't really *your* battle to fight. 

if you and your FI are paying for the wedding, you get full say. your FI need to tell his mother "no kids" "but then people won't travel" "we'll miss having them, then"

"no mom, our max guest count is XXX, we can't have you inviting your sister's cousin's hairdresser. I've already planned for (family members) in the count" 

• Are invites out yet?  Tell her her number, ask for a list and take whatever her number is from that list  Tell her that's what you're doing.  If she doesn't believe you, too bad, the bottom of her list isn't getting invitations.

I wouldn't want OCB as my rehearsal dinner either.  I'd just do it myself and pay/plan for it myself to take care of the matter.
  • OCB would be terrible for the rehearsal, but BW doesn't seem like a good idea for entirely different reasons. 
  • who's down with ocb? not you, apparently.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards