Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Leaving the ceremony...bird seed vs bubbles?

The only thing we are allowed to throw at our ceremony is bird seed, because it's in a park, and even if you have people to pick up flower petals (real or fake) they won't let you, so our flower girl will toss handfuls of bird seed. Our guests have that option, but we also thought about doing bubbles. I'm hesitant to do bird seed because I don't want it to get stuck in my hair or dress (my dress is going to have a lot of lace on it) but I'm not sure how bubbles would look. Thoughts? Has anyone done either?

Re: Leaving the ceremony...bird seed vs bubbles?

• Some of my favorite pictures from the weddings of my children include the bubbles.  The photographer did an amazing job capturing them at moments when bubbles surrounded them as they left church. 

Google images of brides being pelted by bird seed.  The images will often be of downward glances and grimaces in an attempt to avoid getting bird seed in the face.  And if you are thinking more about the damage to your dress than the "moment", your pictures may not turn out as you had imagined, either.
  • I love the bubbles!!!!
  • I love bubbles.  I wouldn't like getting pelted with birdseed and getting it stuck all through my hair.
  • We did bubbles. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Bubbles >>> bird seed
  • You could also just let people applaud, or provide ribbon wands to wave or something else that does not involve having things thrown at you. We did not have anything and people just clapped or took pictures as we left.
  • At my first wedding, we did bubbles too. It was really cute in pictures. For this wedding, I am using confetti!
  • katieg520 said:
    At my first wedding, we did bubbles too. It was really cute in pictures. For this wedding, I am using confetti!

I'm surprised you found a venue that will allow such an environmentally unfriendly mess.  Are you being assessed an additional fee for the clean up?  Confetti is not personally something I would recommend.  
  • mobkaz said:
    katieg520 said:
    At my first wedding, we did bubbles too. It was really cute in pictures. For this wedding, I am using confetti!

I'm surprised you found a venue that will allow such an environmentally unfriendly mess.  Are you being assessed an additional fee for the clean up?  Confetti is not personally something I would recommend.  
    No.
  • If you're going to pick one or the other, I'd definitely do bubbles over bird seed - especially if your FG is already tossing the bird seed in lieu of petals. 

Another thing to consider is that you don't NEED to have either. People will naturally applause and congratulate you! This is free and doesn't add one more thing to buy/to coordinate list. Keep it simple. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• I vote bubbles over bird see. Reason being is if you get hit by a bubble, it won't hurt like bird see & you're less likekly to get bubbles in your eyes or even if a bubble goes down your dress, it won't itch or be uncomfortable for ours. Bubbles will show up nicely on photos. Last plus for bubbles, you won't have to sit there & wrap it up, you can buy & just hand them out, so less work.
  • For my wedding, we are making ribbon wands in purple and white (the wedding colors).  It looks so good in pictures, and we are adding little bells to the end of them! All together, it was about $60 for 150 wands.
  • LydiaJoy12   did you just buy small dowel rods and tie ribbons to them, or did you get the wands from a special place? I like this idea!
  • doeydo said:

I am aware of that product.  I just personally would not recommend the use of confetti under any circumstance.  Biodegradable confetti will still leave a mess and does not dissolve until it becomes wet.  And, just like regular confetti, it can and will still get all over people, sticking to their hair and clothes.
  • We're doing bubbles, one because I love bubbles and two our venue doesn't allow anything other then bubbles because it's a nature reserve. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never seen anything besides bubbles.
  • We are having people ring bells. 
    Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards