Wedding Etiquette Forum

Printed invitations for RD?

Does the RD host normally sent printed invites for the RD?  We are hosting our own and are trying to decide whether to print invites or just contact ppl directly.  Will be wedding party, their dates, immediate family, and my grandparents.  TIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Printed invitations for RD?

• We didn't use printed invitations for ours. I don't think K they're necessary if you have a small group (we had about 15 people). They would probably be a good idea if you were going to have a larger group.
  • I dyi printed inviteds for RD. I know my group, they need visual reminders so it was just a small postcard they could put on fridge w/address of church (no one in bridal party had been to the church) and address if resturant & the time. .

• Use a written invitation if the dinner is to be formal; if the dinner is informal go with whatever form of invitation you prefer -- written, telephoned, texted, emailed or evites. Most grandparents nowadays are computer-literate (in fact, it was our generation that invented most of the current computing environments) but if you are in fact inviting people who are not computer-literate you can phone them and e-vite the rest.

Hand-written invitations are always preferable for formal invitations. Formal hand-written invitations are worded just the same way as engraved invitations (i.e. Ms Next Righttingh / requests the pleasure of the company of / Mr and Mrs Guest / to dinner / on Friday the twentieth of November / at seven o'clock / at Hotel Victoria) except that the compromise of omitting the guests' names and using 'you' instead is never adopted. Technically, the only "printing" that is correct for social invitations is copperplate engraving, and that is prohibitively expensive for small print runs even if you can find a printshop that still has the technology to do engraving.

Informal hand-written invitations look lovely, too, and are worded like any social note (i.e. Dear Mary and Bob / Handsome and I are having our reception dinner on Friday 20 November at 7:00, and hope that you will be able to join us at the Hotel Victoria / Love, Next). Alternately, if you have a visiting card (unlikely, I know, but useful and easy to acquire) you just write "Dinner, 20 Nov at 7:00" across the top, and "Hotel Victoria" across the bottom. However you still have to deal with the vaguaries of the post office which means you need to mail them at least five weeks in advance to give the letter carriers a chance to lose them, find them, and redeliver them. Email and telephone do not suffer from that constraint. Lately I have just been using the traditional style of wording but putting it in an email or message.
  • Does the RD host normally sent printed invites for the RD?  We are hosting our own and are trying to decide whether to print invites or just contact ppl directly.  Will be wedding party, their dates, immediate family, and my grandparents.  TIA!

Rehearsal dinner invitation styles are totally up to the host, just as rehearsal dinner styles are totally up to the host. There is no normal.
  • Depends on the formality. Formal = written invite, informal = up to you. 

We opted for written invites for two reasons: 1) formality and 2) the venue needed an accurate head count so we gathered RSVPs like we did for the wedding. 

We did it on the cheap though - probably $20 or so. Got blank ones at Michael's and printed them on our home computer.
    *********************************************************************************

• We're only going to have about 15 people, so are just doing evites. 
  • I printed them and put the in  with our invitations. It was really confusing to people.

If I could re-do it, I would've printed and mailed separately and followed up with an e-mail with directions or something.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • I think it depends on how formal you want it to be.  If you want it to be more informal and you are just going to be eating pizza or something, then a few phone calls will be fine.  But if you want it to be more formal and possibly go out to a fancy restaurant, I would use written invites.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards