Wedding Woes

Hipster baby name list

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited October 2013 in Wedding Woes
http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/162282/100_totally_amazing_hipster_baby

Also, I saw a name yesterday.  Juliyanna

It was on the Hobby Lobby name tag of a girl at Panera.

Re: Hipster baby name list

• Eyelet. Hipster douche.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I don't know whether to be entertained or enraged. 

• 'Amazing' and 'hipster' should never be used in the same phrase.

• Is it bad that I like most of the girl names?   A couple of them were on our list for naming DD.  #23 was one of my favorites and if for some reason we have another little girl, that will likely be her name.  <--- alternate universe where I have lots of kids...
  • I'm not sure I really agree with this list.  Some of those names are just classics that are coming back into vogue.  Which, yay! quite frankly.  

And some of them are literary characters that I recognize as part of my peer group and younger.  I mean, we all studied To Kill A Mockingbird in school and for some people, it's meaningful, so why is Atticus "hipster"?  Some are television characters that fill the same niche...Blaire and Facts of Life anyone?

When I think of hipsters, I think of more the "cutesy" spellings or choosing names that have never been unisex to be unisex.  Also, going outside of your own language or ethnicity to choose a name so that it's unique aka Dries.
  • ^^^ I totally agree with you, Varuna. ^^^

The only girls name I really dislike is Eyelet.

There were a few boys names that I rolled my eyes at (Elvis? Really?) and I snorted at Django. 
  • I definitely paused at Django.  Really hipsters?  Really?!
  • Django is just a fail, no matter which movie you picked up the name from.
  • Django is from more than one movie?
  • I guess if you really liked music, I could see Elvis (Presley or Costello), Django (Reinhart) or Arlo (Guthrie). Though I still think they're all kind of silly first names. This is what middle names are for!
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2013
    @auntflo:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_(film)

A useless bit of trivia in my head re: violent films

@emmyg65 You know, I didn't think of Django Reinhardt.
  • emmyg65 said:
    I guess if you really liked music, I could see Elvis (Presley or Costello), Django (Reinhart) or Arlo (Guthrie). Though I still think they're all kind of silly first names. This is what middle names are for!
    no one -- NO ONE -- ever Ever EVER will believe you if you say your child is named after django reinhart. everyone will think it is after django and be all "the d is silent" 4eva.

source: i wanted to name my child "gray." it was a year before "50 shades of gray" came out.  thank you Lord Jesus on High that dh was all "no to the way to the jose" and shut it down. 
  • Django and Beatrix. FFS stop with the Quintin Tarantino frottage, mmmkay.

I guess hipsters also stop reading past high school and can't find anything transformative beyond that. Since the boy name list looks like a dumping ground of high school lit characters.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Tarantino is the ultimate hipster douchebag. 
  • Dharma, I don't think that's fair.  I've read plenty past high school, but I read more transformative books in high school, or younger, than any other time.  

College had a lot reading, but there weren't characters from those readings that stayed with me or were influences on such a emotional level (there weren't characters at all, just theorists and commentators and studies).  And reading like that as an adult has been few and far between, since I tend to gravitate towards books that are fun to read, not necessarily deep thinking.
  • Beatrix Potter.  And Beatrix is an very old fashioned name.

This is why this list is balls.  Hipster: Juniper? Eyelet? Dries?  Yes.  A lot of the others?  Not so much.
  • Kale is a motherfucking food not a baby name. That being said, I like some of the girl names. We're still undecided on a name so maybe I'll run some of these by DH.
  • Kale to me is hipster, b/c it's just a cutesy misspelling of Cale.  Like using the "y" instead of "i" or "e".
  • Cale is just someone who misspelled the food "kale".
  • No it's not.
  • yes it is.

• Did anyone look at the names in the comments section? My husband and I stared the most at Kaydence, Americus, Jaydence, Wakefield, Augustus, Juniper, Paizlee, Izryal, Jazarah, Mianna, Meadowlark, Custis, Phoenyx, and motherfucking Tsunami.

TSUNAMI.

WHO DOES THAT.

• I hate the names I have to sound out.  Izryal?  Really?  Name him Gargamel, get it over with.

And Tsunami is just...wow.
  • WAKEFIELD.  WAKEFIELD?  WAKEFIELD. THAT NAME IS AWESOME.

• GAH! DD's name made it to the list!
  • Yeah, a name I like is on there too, but at least our favorite name for a girl didn't make the list. There is hope yet for when we spawn.

• I know of a Magnolia coming into the world shortly. They aren't horrid, but some of them, Kale included, come on.
  • Magnolia is on our girl name list but that is because i like names that are southern, Savannah and Georgia are also on our list and and I was talked out of Biloxi Rose because apparently its a stripper name (no offense to any strippers)...
  • Wolverine has a classmate named Kale. I don't know which one he is, but I want to junkpunch his parents so they don't do that to another kid. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards