Wedding Etiquette Forum

Does the Knot sell our email addresses?

I signed up with the knot last week and since then I know get lots of wedding "spam" email for places i've never signed up for. Has anyone else had this issue?

Re: Does the Knot sell our email addresses?

• Happened to me too, but I really think it was the bridal expo I went to almost 2 months ago.  I only gave my contact info to certain vendors that I didn't have yet, but I got emails for photographers that were at the show but I didn't talk to because I already have a photographer.  I get a lot of emails from the knot, but it's obvious it's from them.  Have you signed up for an expo?

• Yep 99% sure they're selling our email addresses.
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CLI242009CLI242009 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    laurynm84 said:
    Happened to me too, but I really think it was the bridal expo I went to almost 2 months ago.  I only gave my contact info to certain vendors that I didn't have yet, but I got emails for photographers that were at the show but I didn't talk to because I already have a photographer.  I get a lot of emails from the knot, but it's obvious it's from them.  Have you signed up for an expo?
    Yup has happened to me too. 

Although they do advertise a lot on here. I believe if they are any way at all linked to theknot.com then your email gets added in there. =( which sucks but I have no idea how to block it. I only get theknot.com in my inbox, but my spam is full of wedding stuff. Nothing i ever clicked or went to but, I've seen on theknot. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've only ever gotten e-mails from TK; never from third-party vendors I didn't sign up with.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I've never received spam from vendors, only e-mails from TK.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I haven't gotten any emails but I've received a LOT of junk mail (the old-fashioned paper kind)!
  • Yeah they def do- because I used a weird spelling of my name to sign up and that's who the emails are addressed to. So far I've gotten emails from photography places, lots of Mary Kay emails, and some "youve won a cruise!" emails. When I first signed up I got a bunch of calls but those have stopped thankfully

• This hasn't happened with my e-mail, but I receive wedding related postal mail from local vendors to my home. That started after I signed up for The Knot.
  • I have received a ton of stuff in the mail lately. Photographers, venues, DJs. Every day something new comes. And I know it's because of TK. I looked at one venue. I've haven't attended any bridal expos. How else would all these people have my address?
  • This hasn't happened with my e-mail, but I receive wedding related postal mail from local vendors to my home. That started after I signed up for The Knot.
    I get a shit ton of this too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have received a ton of stuff in the mail lately. Photographers, venues, DJs. Every day something new comes. And I know it's because of TK. I looked at one venue. I've haven't attended any bridal expos. How else would all these people have my address?
    Me too. Pretty sure it's from The Knot. No emails though, but lots of mail. 
    Anniversary
  • I don't think so or I must have opted out. I did get some junk wedding emails but I know that's from a bridal expo. What a waste of time. 
  • I saw an increase in spam to what I call my burn email.  (Every few months - year I will create an email with the sole purpose of signing up for sites like these and then deleting it once I am done)  It gets a bit confusing but it prevents my primary email from being bombarded with garbage.

I have also seen an increase in physical mailings too, but I credit it to both signing up here and with a few other vendors along the way.

• I haven't had any problems from The Knot, it was actually my David's Bridal appointment that skyrocketed the spam.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I think they sold/shared my address b/c I get a lot of old school junk mail, but the emails didn't really start until after an expo where David's Bridal got my info.
  • Before I was engaged I had signed up here. I got so much stuff my mom thought I was hiding an engagement from her !
  • I changed my handle and signed up for a different account. I checked the box marked to decline my personal information being given out for promotional purposes.

Suddenly, I received about 8 snail mailed things from vendors. I wrote them all an e-mail telling them that I'm not sure how they got my information but they wasted their postage and materials since I had all my vendors in line for about 9 months. I was told the Knot sent them an alert. I was not amused, neither were they.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • I created a separate gmail account just to avoid problems like this. I learned the hard way at the beginning of my planning process. I went to David's Bridal just to get ideas and stupidly gave them my contact information. I get calls and emails from their associated partners all the time :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards