Snarky Brides

You know what really grinds my gears?

PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited November 2013 in Snarky Brides
When people say 'axe' instead of 'ask' when trying to say 'May I ask you a question?" Or 'I will need to ask so and so.'

Stop it...stop it right now. You may not 'axe' me anything.

Re: You know what really grinds my gears?

• Seconded!!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • aefitz29 said:
    When people say 'axe' instead of 'ask' when trying to say 'May I ask you a question?" Or 'I will need to ask so and so.'

Stop it...stop it right now. You may not 'axe' me anything.

• PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    edited November 2013

Also, I despise people saying, "I could care less." If you COULD care less, that means you DO care, so what you MEAN to say is, "I could NOT care less."

/rant
    Agreed. I don't really think it needs to be stated but since I heard it this morning let's add YOLO and YOLOing to that list. I heard the sentence 'she was yoloing,' this morning.
  • Swag. I don't know what swag is. It seems like only stupid people have it
  • Swag is actually an acronym for 'stuff we all get.' It's why awards shows have 'swag bags.' But in everyday usage, it's dumb, I agree.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • aefitz29 what is YOLO??

I hate when my almost-MIL says "Chip-Ol-Tee" instead of Chipotle. It's Chip-ot-le!!

HisGirlFriday13 I had no idea swag was an acronym. I just thought it was a slang word for "free stuff" Thank you for teaching me something new today!

• PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    edited November 2013

aefitz29 what is YOLO??

I hate when my almost-MIL says "Chip-Ol-Tee" instead of Chipotle. It's Chip-ot-le!!

HisGirlFriday13 I had no idea swag was an acronym. I just thought it was a slang word for "free stuff" Thank you for teaching me something new today!

YOLO is a term used by the young kiddies today that stands for 'You Only Live Once.' (I generally respond by telling them they only die once as well).

And I think the term swag used today stems from the word 'swagger.' Swagger is defined as:
    :  to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompous manner; especially :  to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence

The bolded is one of my favorite words however.
  • Have you seen the SNL YOLO skit...it's hilarious!
  • YES. Yes to this whole freaking thread lol...

• samich =/= sandwich! freaking drives me bonkers! :-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• How about: 
    Cray Cray, 
    Fo Shizzle, or Fo Sheezy
    Dawg!
    and A'ight instead of alright

This one makes me laugh and I will actually use, nummy nums or nom noms instead of food or yummy snacks
  • aefitz29 said:

Also, I despise people saying, "I could care less." If you COULD care less, that means you DO care, so what you MEAN to say is, "I could NOT care less."

/rant
    Agreed. I don't really think it needs to be stated but since I heard it this morning let's add YOLO and YOLOing to that list. I heard the sentence 'she was yoloing,' this morning.
    "YOLOing?" I've never heard it as a verb yet...jeez! 

And Cray. for some reason "cray" really bugs me...it's really that much more hard to add one simple letter and syllable to say the word correctly?!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I get twitchy when people say "we need to flush this out" when they mean something needs further explanation.  The expression is "to flesh out," like putting meat on the bones of a skeleton.

I also get twitchy when people say "to hone in on."  It's not to hone, like to hone one's skills.  It's to "home in on."  The expression was taken from homing pigeons.
  • Another one:  when people say something "peaks their interest."  The word is "piques."
  • I'm also sick to death of hearing about the fricken "Bottom Line" nothing grammatically wrong per say,
    I just feel it's over used. And I also feel like employers care more about this than the welfare of their employees or use it as an excuse to screw them over.
  • Agree with all of the above. Mine:
    Shortening the word adorable to "Adorbs"! Wtf! That is all.

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• missmo14 said:
    Agree with all of the above. Mine: Shortening the word adorable to "Adorbs"! Wtf! That is all.
    I have never heard anyone say this in real life. I would only be okay with this if it was a 10 year old girl!
  • aefitz29 said:
    missmo14 said:
    Agree with all of the above. Mine: Shortening the word adorable to "Adorbs"! Wtf! That is all.
    I have never heard anyone say this in real life. I would only be okay with this if it was a 10 year old girl!
    TOTES! *eyeroll*
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• TOTES! *eyeroll*
    I want to pour acid in my ears/eyes everytime I hear/see this one.

And yous. OMFG!  Just don't.  You all, y'all, you guys, everyone.  I don't care which.  But enough with the damn yous.  Same the for yous all or yous guys.

• TOTES! *eyeroll*
    I want to pour acid in my ears/eyes everytime I hear/see this one.

And yous. OMFG!  Just don't.  You all, y'all, you guys, everyone.  I don't care which.  But enough with the damn yous.  Same the for yous all or yous guys.
  • Any shortened word drives me crazy. I have young staff at work, and every other word out of their mouths is shortened... cray, totes, whatev
    They also have a tendency to actually say the letters such as "oh em gee" instead of "oh my god".

It's just a typical morning when I overhear them talking in sentences like:
    "oh em gee, it was totes cray"
    "el oh el, that sounds hella cray"
    I want to claw my ears off every time.

FI has a friend that says irregardless. It's just regardless.

The fact that irregardless didn't come up as a misspelled word in my typing box is scary though...
  • And it really bothers me that when they say OMG, they aren't shortening anything. It's 3 effing syllables, girls. Just go for it. I hate the shortened word thing, too. When the hell did camisoles become cammies? When did cardigans become cardies?
  • CLI242009CLI242009 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    Any shortened word drives me crazy. I have young staff at work, and every other word out of their mouths is shortened... cray, totes, whatev
    They also have a tendency to actually say the letters such as "oh em gee" instead of "oh my god".

The fact that irregardless didn't come up as a misspelled word in my typing box is scary though...
    O_O Oh man I would not want to be you.....I am so sorry you have to put up with that.      =( 

aefitz29 - My FSIL says/texts Adorbs all the damn time. You are lucky you do not hear this in real life haha

You guys might either get a kick out of this or annoyed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsecDcTpVmw
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Supposubly. Ugh
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Any shortened word drives me crazy. I have young staff at work, and every other word out of their mouths is shortened... cray, totes, whatev

That's because it has been added to the dictionary now (I know, this one bothers me as well). If you look it up its defined as "an informal or uneducated form of regardless".
  • I also can't stand "legit". I've only noticed it recently because I've been seeing it a lot on FB and such, and the way it is being used is driving me crazy. Like "I legit just ran outside to catch the garbage man" or "I legit think that's a great idea". Really?
  • CLI242009 said:
    Any shortened word drives me crazy. I have young staff at work, and every other word out of their mouths is shortened... cray, totes, whatev

O_O Oh man I would not want to be you.....I am so sorry you have to put up with that.      =( 

aefitz29 - My FSIL says/texts Adorbs all the damn time. You are lucky you do not hear this in real life haha

You guys might either get a kick out of this or annoyed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsecDcTpVmw
    FI and I are now obsessed with the whole Your Grammar Sucks video series. I watched the video and just couldn't get enough. Loved it.
  • CLI242009 said:

FI and I are now obsessed with the whole Your Grammar Sucks video series. I watched the video and just couldn't get enough. Loved it.
    Your welcome. Haha - I just love Jack's reactions to the whole wrap/rap/rapping/raping grammar errors. Not too many of them, boo, but I love when a new video of YGS comes out!! Anytime I see topics that say something about people being stupid or what words you hate now a days, YGS instantly comes to mind hehe.

Don't get me started on the whole Titanic thing >.>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards