Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Non-responsive Baker

The venue where my reception is taking place has a contract with a specific baker. Also, as part of my contract I get to use this baker for my cake; however, if I want my cake elsewhere, they will credit me $2 a head, so I have options if I want/need them.

While I'm getting married in August 2014, I kind of want everything done and out of the way (and I've pretty much done it) so I don't have to stress later; I'm the exact opposite of a procrastinator.

Because I work in an environment where I can't make/take personal calls during work hours, I've been trying to do most of my correspondence through email. I used the baker's online webform and submitted an inquiry...twice (the second time around a week or so after the first time). The second time, she responded with basic information regarding her rates and the days she schedules tastings. I replied trying to schedule a time, and got no response. The next week (which was last week) I sent a follow up email, and I sent another follow up this past Monday.

I was thinking of calling her during my lunch break today in case that would be a better form of communication for her, but I don't want to seem pushy. What are your thoughts?

Re: Non-responsive Baker

• Well even though I understand you want to get things done I think you could take a step back and not worry about setting up a tasting until after the holidays.

I would call the baker during your lunch break to see if you can get a hold of them easier that way.

• I booked my baker back in August. There were a few things I needed to follow up with her on because I was providing a few things myself and she wanted to see them first. She specifically asked me not to bring anything for her to see during November and December because she doesn't have time to do anything but bake during the holidays. The time of year might be why you're having such a hard time getting in touch with her. If you can, I would wait until January and contact her again. 8 months should be more than enough time to line up a quality baker.
  • I agree with the others-as much as you want to cross something off the list, it's too early for the baker to be handling your order. I only booked my baker 4 months out-so even if you wait until things slow down in January, you have plenty of time to find someone else if this baker doesn't work out.
  • If you're getting married in August 2014, I would get serious with your baker around February or March. Take it easy for a while. She's probably super busy with holiday orders and such right now. And you don't REALLY need an answer on any of this.

I totally understand wanting to cross something off the list, so I'd focus your energy elsewhere. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I found it's often easier to get in touch with vendors by phone, not email.  Take the time out and call them AFTER the new year.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I found it's often easier to get in touch with vendors by phone, not email.  Take the time out and call them AFTER the new year.
    This.  See if there's anything else on your list that you can get done and scratch off now rather than worrying about this too soon.
  • huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2013
    I guess I've had a little different experience than other people here.  I'm like the OP and I have most things done for my June wedding.  We had our cake tasting in October and I've already paid a deposit: whenever I've contacted a vendor I've always said, I know this is early so if you want me to schedule this for closer to the wedding let me know, and all of them (baker, MUA, hairdresser, photographer, DJ etc) all said it's better to get things scheduled earlier rather than later. I live in a populated area in the Northeast where there are many vendors for everything, so this might be part of it.  Location might have something to do it. Where is your wedding OP?

Also, it is closer to the holidays, so she is probably very busy, but I would maybe research some other bakers just as a backup.

ETA: I've done all correspondence with vendors by email. and they all say it's good to have everything in writing.

• I'm in the Baltimore-DC area. Honestly, the biggest push is coming from my mom who just wants to have everything ready for a "perfect wedding" so we can show off to the family.

Because, clearly, that's what weddings are about. >.> Whatever. I'm so over it; as long as I'm married to my FH at the end of the day I figure mission accomplished.
  • @cjdoster16 - well if your Mom is that concerned then I would forward the number and email address to her and have her deal with the florist since it seems like she is the one who is worried about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards