Chit Chat

Bridal Shower and Honey Do

I'm not sure if you can do both or not. My FH wants a Honey Do shower, after my bridesmaids have already started planning a bridal shower. I feel weird having both. Do females just attend Bridal and Males just attend Honey Do?

Re: Bridal Shower and Honey Do

• What is a Honey Do?

• It's a shower for the guy. Basically stuff for when the bride says "Honey do this". Its mainly where the guy gets tools and cleaning supplies.
  • manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    1. I've never heard of a Honey Do, but it sounds awful. I can't imagine much my FI would like to do less. 

2. No, your bridesmaids offered a shower for you. His groomsman or someone in his family can offered to host a honey do for him if they'd like. 

3. Who attends the bridal shower depends on your crowd, but I would bet for most crowds, it's just the ladies (I'm used to the groom popping in toward the end to say thank you though).

ETA: And I wasn't saying my FI wouldn't like it as a knock to yours, just to say that most men I know would hate to sit through watching a buddy open up tools and cleaning supplies for an hour. 
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    Just when I thought nothing on TK could surprise me anymore, along comes a Honey Do shower. If his friends want to throw this (and do guys DO that?!?), then by all means. Otherwise, nope.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • scribe95 said:

Uh, no. Your bridesmaids offered YOU a shower, not him. If his friends want to host that it's fine though I think most men would roll their eyes.

This. I've never heard of a Honey Do shower.
  • Sounds horribly tacky.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If the idea is to have a shower for the man where he gets tools, I can kind of see the parity.

Women often get bridal showers where they are 'showered' with kitchen stuff, so IF the guy's friends want to shower him with power tools and IF this is common in your circle and IF all of the rules pertaining to bridal showers are adhered to, I do not think it is inherently tacky.

But all of those 'if' statements have to be met. Also, you cannot ask for this, and neither can your FI. His GM have to offer it.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • FH has a honey-do-list..it's not fun, it's a list of chores.  I can't imagine he would want a honey do shower or want to go to one.

That being said, if someone else does offer to host and it's done appropriately, then yes. Someone can host a bridal shower for you and someone else can host one for him.
  • Yeah, tell you FI not to be greedy. There's no reason why you can't add reasonable home type items to your registry that people can choose/not to buy. 
  • I have never heard of this and I think my FI would be horrified. I also can't see his friends doing it.
    What I did instead was look for a registry that allowed us to add those kinds of items. We went with Sears. He can choose some of the tools and yard things he wants most. If no one buys you the gift, then you still have an organized list, completion discounts, card rewards, etc. depending on where you signed up.
  • My sister's FI is a teacher. His co-workers threw him a work shower and I guess you could call it a Honey-Do theme. My sister and her FI had registered at Home Depot and his co-workers bought him all sorts of hand tools, shovels, stuff that they would need for their home together. They both currently rent but they are planning and saving to buy a home soon after they are married. I can't even tell you how much money BF and I have thrown into buying all of the "little honey-do" type tools that we discovered we needed after buying a house in June. I don't think the idea is tacky at all...just the premise of the OP's FI requesting a honey-do shower. FTR, my future BIL's shower was a mixed group of male and female teachers.

• I helped plan a shower where we also requested that guests bring a tool for the groom's toolbox; but that's the closest I've ever seen to a Honey Do.

Now, he was planning on (well was told he would) staying for the whole shower, so we kind of did that to make him feel less awkward in a room full of women.

• I have never in my life heard of a Honey Do shower. By all means have your bridal shower, but I would say no on the Honey Do. If your FI wants tools that badly, make a registry at Home Depot or Sears or something, or just have him ask for tools on his birthday or Christmas.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards