Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Entree choices - which would you prefer?

My venue typically offers a "duet" entree of chateubriand & chicken francaise, as well as a tilapia option & veg option. If anyone wants the duet but does not like chicken or does not like beef, they get a double portion of the one they like.

For some reason (my FI says I am nuts), I prefer the idea of just giving 4 choices: chicken, beef, fish, or veg. What would you prefer as a guest - all 4 choices or the chicken & beef as duet?

Re: Entree choices - which would you prefer?

• I prefer a seperate beef and chicken option.   Do you need to have order's in ahead of time, or will soemoen take orders at the reception?  It could get confusing on your response cards to have options for the duet, just chicken, just beef, fish, veggie.  
  • I mean obviously the more choices the better, but it kind of sounds like a logical nightmare, IMHO. If I were you in order to save money and sanity, I would offer two options on your RSVP card:

- chatueabraid & chicken francaise duet
    - (veggie entree description)

I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago where there was a duet - chicken and baby back ribs (terrible, messy choice for a formal wedding, but whatever). They had these entrees served plated to each guest (veggie to those who ordered it) and then the sides were served family style so people could fill up on other stuff if they didn't like the chicken or ribs. Even though I thought the ribs were a crappy idea, I really loved the concept of family-style sides and appreciated it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Oops, sorry. We do not have to choose ahead of time - nothing will go on the RSVP card. As far as sides, they are served tableside.
  • I think you should leave it how it is. I like beef, but I necessarily wouldn't want a double portion of it. If I was getting two portions of meat I would rather have some variety.
  • If guests don't have to select beforehand, what is the harm in offering it as a duet?  I think people like variety, and if they only want one, there is that option anyway.  
  • I would rather have 4 choices.

• I prefer 4 options.  The only time I've really seen the duet is for a surf and turf.  I guess it could work with chicken and beef.....it just seems kinda odd.  
  • Thanks to all of you for reassuring me that I am not crazy in preferring 4 options! Decision made :)
  • I would rather have the 4 choices. If you go with a duet, you need to make it VERY clear to the guests that the beef and chicken will be sharing a plate. Lots of people eat chicken, but not red meat. I've been to a wedding where a duet was served (without telling the guests) and many didn't eat because their chicken or fish was sharing a plate and a sauce with red meat.
  • Ven&Radio said:
    I would rather have the 4 choices. If you go with a duet, you need to make it VERY clear to the guests that the beef and chicken will be sharing a plate. Lots of people eat chicken, but not red meat. I've been to a wedding where a duet was served (without telling the guests) and many didn't eat because their chicken or fish was sharing a plate and a sauce with red meat.
    This. I have relatives who don't eat red meat, and if it was on their plate they wouldn't eat anything on it.  I've had the issue before of meat and seafood being served on the same plate, and because of my seafood allergy, I wasn't able to eat any of it. And no, the caterer didn't plan for that and didn't have any seafood-free plates available (none of the vegetarians got to eat either).  I definitely think options are the way to go. I think you could get away with just beef, chicken or fish, and vegetarian if you needed to, but 4 options would be wonderful.
  • Would also rather have 4 choices.  We had our tasting recently and we tried a filet/crabcake duet.  Honestly, the portion was way too big (plus two sides). We ended up going with separates. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards