Not Engaged Yet

Recipe Swap - Desserts & Veggies

Good morning everyone! I've been asked to bring a veggie side dish and some type of dessert to my BIL/SIL's house for Thanksgiving next week. They are taking care of all the staples, and I'm completely bored of my go-to recipes. Anyone want to share a favorite veggie or dessert recipe with me? It does not in any way have to be a traditional Thanksgiving item - in fact it's probably better if it's not as I don't know what others have been asked to bring!

Here are a couple of my faves to get the swap started:

• Veggie - This recipe is so good, fresh and crisp. I could just have this for dinner sometimes. (Clicky)
  • Dessert - This Lemon Pound Cake is amazing. So lemony and not overly sweet. I usually swap the yogurt for greek yogurt. (Clicky)

Can you tell I love Ina Garten (aka Barefoot Contessa)???

Re: Recipe Swap - Desserts & Veggies

• cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    Easiest dessert ever, and it's yummy, and fall-themed.

One box Spice cake mix (I usually use Betty Crocker, but whatever)
    One 15 oz can of pumpkin
    Mini chocolate chips (optional)
    Nuts (also optional)

Pre-heat oven to 350
    Mix ingredients thoroughly, spoon into cookie-sized lumps onto cookie sheet covered in wax paper
    Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes

You can also add cream cheese frosting. I just put a little dot on them and they were delish!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• One new side dish we've added for Thanksgiving is asparagus wrapped in proschiutto. It's sooo good. I take asparagus, trip them and mix them around with some EVOO, salt and pepper. I wrap the bundles in proschiutto and throw them in the oven at 350 for a few minutes (I just keep my eye on them). You could probably do bacon too.

My mom makes the pies for Thanksgiving. She does a traditional pumpkin pie and Martha Stewart's apple pie (which is soooo good).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    I used to make this crazy-good fancified green bean casserole: clicky

Last year, I convinced my family they like sweet potato casserole with this: clicky

If you want something less involved, my mom always makes green beans with pancetta: steam green beans. Meanwhile, chop pancetta and fry over medium-low heat till crispy. Toss with green beans.

And this Thanksgiving, I'm bringing this chocolate pumpkin pie to my in-laws. I haven't made it before, but it looks divine: clicky
  • I think I told people when I first started posting on here, but I went to school and got my certificate in pastry.  In doing so, I actually started a blog (which hasn't been updated in a while) - but it has a bunch of good cookie, cake, buttercream recipes on it if you are interested - clicky.

I also think I posted on someone else's thanksgiving thread before (Swazzle's?) about brussel sprouts with bacon and slivered almonds - that recipe is AMAZING.  And it pulls in anti-sprout people (like me) to the point where now I love them.  Similar to this (clicky) bu just using chicken broth instead of red wine vinegar, and I put the almonds in at the very end.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited November 2013
    I know you said avoid traditional Thanksgiving dishes, but this Pecan Pie (with bourbon!) is my favorite. I always cheat and use a store bought crust. Easy to double, too. 

An awesome roasted broccoli recipe 

These cookies (a bit labor intensive, but worth it. maybe even better for Christmas though)

These carrot cake cupcakes with maple cream cheese frosting 

PS - I also <3 Ina. She is unabashedly snooty and I love it.
  • I stole this recipe from @motolyn, but it's delicious. Pumpkin Nutella Swirl Muffins. I screwed up and used the whole can of pumpkin instead of 1 cup, and they're just super moist. They're more like cupcakes than muffins. I may have also overdone the nutella, because it's more like frosting than a swirl.

http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2013/09/pumpkin-nutella-swirl-muffins/
  • @cutiger97 that recipe sounds so good and so easy. I may need to steal this sometime very soon!  FI makes baked apples in the crock pot- he cores out the apples adds butter, grand marnier, pecans, raisins. I want to say there is something else too but I forget... it's his recipe... and it's on my blog somewhere.

Anniversary

• @leia1979 Oh whoops, I seem to have drooled all over my keyboard. I think I found my Friendsgiving dessert.

Here's my favorite dessert recipe ever: Pumpkin cookies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees (350 for convection oven)

Mix together 2 cups of flour with 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp allspice. Definitely mix well--otherwise you end up with bites of cookie with clumps of baking soda--ew.

Cream together 1 cup of butter and 1 cup granulated sugar. Then add 1 cup cooked pumpkin, 1 egg, and 1 tsp vanilla, and mix well. Sometimes, I add extra pumpkin to make the cookies really moist. Then slowly mix in the dry ingredients.

Drop cookies on a well-greased baking sheet or onto a parchment covered sheet. I usually can make about 36 cookies per batch; drop about 1-inch balls of dough (very wet dough).

Bake for about 12 minutes. When they come out of the oven, they should be soft but not mushy, and the edges should only just be turning brown. Let cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

These cookies are so cakey that if we have any left over, we eat them for breakfast ...
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • leia1979 said:
    I stole this recipe from @motolyn, but it's delicious. Pumpkin Nutella Swirl Muffins. I screwed up and used the whole can of pumpkin instead of 1 cup, and they're just super moist. They're more like cupcakes than muffins. I may have also overdone the nutella, because it's more like frosting than a swirl.

http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2013/09/pumpkin-nutella-swirl-muffins/

There is nothing WRONG with too much Nutella!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Oh my goodness you ladies have given me a lot of great ideas! I'm going to take these home tonight and see if H has any thoughts...because they all sound great!
  • @allusive007 what is the recipe that you share that's like a cranberry salad? I want to try something new, and for some reason, that recipe keeps popping up in my head. Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @Buddysmom80 - It's this recipe (Clicky), except I don't put nuts in mine...though I'm sure they'd be great in it. I know it sounds funny because it's a marshmallow salad...but the men in my family all fight over the leftovers! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
  • @Buddysmom80 - It's this recipe (Clicky), except I don't put nuts in mine...though I'm sure they'd be great in it. I know it sounds funny because it's a marshmallow salad...but the men in my family all fight over the leftovers! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

THANK YOU!!!!! <3

(I want to make this now and eat it asap)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I have a recipe for 3-Day Coconut Cake that is so simple and so delicious and amazing! I need to steal it from my mom in order to post it so I'll have to update later. It's 3-Day Coconut Cake cause basically you let the cake soak in all the coconut-frostingy goodness for 2 to 3 days in the fridge before serving. Soooooo yummy and easy!

• I have a recipe for 3-Day Coconut Cake that is so simple and so delicious and amazing! I need to steal it from my mom in order to post it so I'll have to update later. It's 3-Day Coconut Cake cause basically you let the cake soak in all the coconut-frostingy goodness for 2 to 3 days in the fridge before serving. Soooooo yummy and easy!
    If you don't share this recipe I'll be sad.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
    If you don't share this recipe I'll be sad.
    I second this!
  • cu97tiger said:
    Easiest dessert ever, and it's yummy, and fall-themed.

One box Spice cake mix (I usually use Betty Crocker, but whatever)
    One 15 oz can of pumpkin
    Mini chocolate chips (optional)
    Nuts (also optional)

Pre-heat oven to 350
    Mix ingredients thoroughly, spoon into cookie-sized lumps onto cookie sheet covered in wax paper
    Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes

You can also add cream cheese frosting. I just put a little dot on them and they were delish!! 

I've made these before and they are great!  At least for me, any more than a tiny bit of frosting is overkill. 

• @buddysmom80 @allusive007 I promise I will! I'm stopping by the parent's house tonight to drop off ALL THE WINE that I bought today for pre and post wedding activities/Thanksgiving and I'll make a copy for myself then.

• @lmhollister we are still waiting and I think some of us want the wine too haha
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Ok here it is! You all know I wish I could share all the wine with you. :P Just come crash @southernpeach89 's wedding on Saturday.

Three-Day Coconut Cake

Ingredients:

1 Box Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix
    12 oz Frozen Coconut, Thawed (we use 14 to 16 oz so you have some left over to sprinkle the top of the cake with)
    16 oz Sour Cream
    2 cups Sugar
    8 oz Cool Whip

Directions:

Bake cake mix as directed in 2 round cake pans (I think the standard 8 or 9 inch pans?). After the two layers are completely cooled, split the layers in half to make four layers total. Mix coconut, sour cream, and sugar well. Set aside 1/2 cup of coconut mixture. Ice top of each layer with coconut mixture and stack layers. Mix remaining 1/2 cup coconut mixture with cool whip. Finish icing top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with leftover coconut and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days (4 days is best).

And after 3 (or 4) agonizing days you have the tastiest, moistest, coconut cake around! YUM! I think this is a great make-ahead recipe for parties or the holidays because you get it done so far ahead of time and once it's in the fridge you don't have to worry about dessert anymore and you can focus on everything else.

• @lmhollister thank you!!!!!! I can't wait to try this!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @lmhollister So interesting. I have a hard time imagining sour cream like that...but I love coconut, so I may have to try this!
  • @allusive007 The sugar sweetens the sour cream. Basically the sour cream is a serving as a base to create the icing. It's similar to how icing tastes on red velvet cake...the icing I'm familiar with for red velvet also utilizes sour cream and cream cheese I think. You could probably even sub in softened cream cheese for sour cream if it doesn't taste quite right to you.

• @lmhollister I'm sure it's awesome! There are so many recipes that sound odd but actually taste great. I can't wait to try this!
  • @allusive007 I totally agree. :) However, I'm still a big fan of adjusting to your personal preference. The icing ingredients don't actually affect the baking so it's open for interpretation and experimentation. I think the reason why this recipe uses sour cream rather than something more typical like cream cheese is because sour cream is more liquid and thus able to carry the coconut and sugar flavors deeper into the cake when you're resting it in the fridge for 3 days.

• @lmhollister I love you.  And coconut.  So therefore, I love your recipe.  If there weren't going to be 9000000 cakes/pies at FI's family's thanksgiving celebration, I would totally be making this to bring with us.  Alas, I may have to make it after thanksgiving :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @Blueand White Just bring it to the next holiday event in order to forever cement your place as favorite FDIL/DIL with your FI's family.

• @lmhollister does it have to be frozen coconut? I think I'm going to have a hard time finding that in my local grocery store. I know they sell the bags of coconut. Worse-case scenario is I'll try it with the bagged stuff.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @buddysmom80 I think the important thing is for the coconut to not be the pre-sweetened baking stuff you usually see in stores before mixing it with the sugar and sour cream.

• @lmhollister I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm making this next week. My paternal grandmother used to make coconut cake all the time and I don't think my dad has had it since she got sick and eventually passed away, so this will be a happy memory for him!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards