Not Engaged Yet

S/O: How often do you shower/bathe?

Okay...this might be a weird question. I'm not sure.

How often do you bathe?
I was talking about this with my co-worker the other day and then I read a couple articles about it.Some pepole believe that it's really only necessary to bathe every other day...or a few days a week, especially concerning washing your hair.

My co-worker also believes that people that have washed daily for years and years- are a bit oilier then others, because the body/face is trying to compensate for the lack of natural oils because of showering.

What do you think?

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: S/O: How often do you shower/bathe?

• I shower daily (unless I'm hella hungover on a Saturday or something) but usually only wash my hair every other day. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_showerbathe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5839fc7b-43eb-4aa6-a4b2-e25534234c8cPost:89482bcc-6d24-48c7-829a-bd64cf740162">Re: S/O: How often do you shower/bathe?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also shower daily and wash my hair every other day.  Sometimes I use a dry shampoo on the off days.  <strong>DH works with a girl that showers once a week...I definitely can't imagine that.</strong>
    Posted by laurenb09[/QUOTE]
    What?!?! That is seriously gross to me. Even when DH and I are camping I feel the need to at least jump in a lake or find a shower in a park somewhere to rinse off after a few days.
  • I shower daily and wash my hair every other day (unless I have product in it or it's been a gym day, then I wash it regardless).
    Anniversary
  • Mine varies.

If I am a lazy bum and stay in pajamas and do nothing all day, then I don't feel the need to shower that day, but absolutely will the next day even if I repeat the lazy bum day.

However, I will shower every day if I do a workout or do anything that makes me sweat even a little. I do wash my hair every time too.

-Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_showerbathe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5839fc7b-43eb-4aa6-a4b2-e25534234c8cPost:ce96e232-4f41-4b31-bd23-a16e7143a5d8">Re: S/O: How often do you shower/bathe?</a>:
    [QUOTE]He said it's really gross when they go on research cruises and they're out collecting oyster samples in the Chesapeake Bay and then she continues to not shower...barf.
    Posted by laurenb09[/QUOTE]

Wow...Is this how he figured out how she only bathes once a week? How does that even come up in conversation?
  • I shower everyday. Sometimes if I snooze my alarm too many times or whatever and have to skip my shower I feel gross all day long. My hair gets pretty oily though.

FI came from a low-income family and he was only allowed to shower every other day (or less!) because they just did not have money for the hot water being used up. I thought that was pretty gross. Now he showers everyday since he has his own place, but I can't imagine not showering daily...

One of my roommates showers every two or more days. It sounds gross, but she does not get oily. She always looks put together and pretty. Whatever.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • I pretty much shower every day.  During the work week even if I'm not washing my hair & get in & wash my body & face. On the weekends, if it's a day where I'm not doing anything or going anywhere but being a lazy bum on my couch I usually don't shower (as in I'll shower Friday, not Saturday, shower Sunday). I won't go more than a day though. 

• If I'm working out- I'll definitely shower after ever work out, but otherwise I usually take a bath about every other day. I have normal skin and hair...not too dry, not too oily.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2012
    I used to shower everyday as a kid, then went to every other day once Danish Man and I lived together.  If I haven't done anything all day I shower every other day.  Since we started P90x we shower every day now.  I can't handle the feeling of greasy dirty hair.  I think my saving grace is I don't have body odor.

I tell people I'm saving water for the whales...  ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_showerbathe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5839fc7b-43eb-4aa6-a4b2-e25534234c8cPost:cde5b3a7-08c9-4bab-9257-dbd580c4a0eb">Re: S/O: How often do you shower/bathe?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O: How often do you shower/bathe? : Ely, I love that you are my work-from-home buddy. This is me exactly. :) Thanks for not making me feel like a dirty slob. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Lol, no problem. I do feel bad if I have a lazy bum day often and then I just look slobby every time FI comes home in his business casual outfits, lol. Lately I've been working out though, so I can work out, shower, and get dressed before he gets home and I don't feel so bad, but I still get to be slobby the first part of the day. Works for me, lol.
    -Ely

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_showerbathe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:5839fc7b-43eb-4aa6-a4b2-e25534234c8cPost:0d7d962c-50ab-4b9d-8aeb-50b112950bc7">Re: S/O: How often do you shower/bathe?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I pretty much shower every day.  During the work week even if I'm not washing my hair & get in & wash my body & face. On the weekends, if it's a day where I'm not doing anything or going anywhere but being a lazy bum on my couch I usually don't shower (as in I'll shower Friday, not Saturday, shower Sunday). I won't go more than a day though. 
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

All of this exactly. I shower every day during the week even if I'm not washing my hair. I usually shower every day on the weekend too, but if I've been a complete bum I may skip.

Depending on what the girls do, they may bathe every other day. It really depends though. And that comes from when they're babies and you don't bathe them nearly as much.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I shower just about everyday... Sometimes it is a Monday morning then a Tuesday night, but pretty much everyday. I only wash my hair every 3 days though. Sometimes I go 4 days without washing. My hair is so thick and wavy that if I wash it everyday 9or even every other day),  it gets very coarse and frizzy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I go pretty much every other day, sometimes even every 2 days in the winter. UNLESS, I worked out and got sweaty. Then of course I shower.

The summers are GROSS. You are either melting or well done. All bets are off in the summer... it's a guarantee ever 36 hours minumum, sometimes ever 12.

Interesting fact about me.... I have very little armpit hair and therefore don't get stinky sweaty pits that often. I only wear deodorant in the summer when I'm going to be outside.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Liv, that does make a lot of sense. I can't remember the last time I didn't despise seeing myself naked though.

FI takes a shower every day and sometimes twice. He also takes really loooong showers. If we shower together, he does a countdown because it's like a ritual and he can't just shut the water off and be done, lol.
    -Ely

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_showerbathe?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:5839fc7b-43eb-4aa6-a4b2-e25534234c8cPost:0e75c7c1-3dee-474c-995d-646dcb1499fd">Re: S/O: How often do you shower/bathe?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So here's something I was just thinking about. I was way more apt to shower every single day when I a) was a lot thinner, b) had much shorter hair, and c) wasn't sick. I do recognize this also corresponded to my working in a real office, but I'd even shower always on the weekends then. It was just easier. I didn't dislike seeing myself naked, I wasn't tired all the time, and my hair wasn't a pain to wash. So there's that. 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you on this. I also think the same thing goes for my effort in how I dress as well as how I do my hair. When I was a lot thinner, I would do my hair every day, take the time to put on full make up and carefully choose what I was going to wear. Now I'm happy to find anything that fits and have my hair look like I didn't just wake up. And I'm ok if I wear just enough makeup to cover my blemishes and dark circles. Which naturally looking like crap doesn't help my self esteem so it's a perpetual cycle but you get it.

• Every day. I just don't feel clean otherwise. I also am at the gym 5 days a week as a long distance runner so it's kind of not optional lol I need a shower like a champ after the gym.
  • Basically every day. However, the nights I have dance, I actually bathe twice that day and not the next, because I wash up when I get home and then go to bed. I figure if all I did was sleep, I'm still clean.

I only wash my hair every 2-3 days and sometimes use dry shampoo if it gets a little oily.
  • I don't shower every single day without fail, but it's more often than every other day.  I would say that I shower two out of every three days.

Often, if I shower at night, I'll skip the next day completely.
  • Every day, but there are still some weekends where I have a lazy day and skip the shower.  And I wash my hair every two days because it's very dry and gets even drier and frizzy if I wash it any more often than that.

PSA:  For anyone with really dry hair, Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat works wonders!  I use it in place of regular conditioner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I shower daily but I wash my hair about every 2-3 days depending on if I have sweaty workout or not in between.  If I do then I'll wash it after that.

• I BATHE daily.  Doctor's orders, which occasionally change to bathe twice/three times daily.  I waste water like freakin I can't even tell you.

BUT I do get a lot of books read in the bath, so I can't complain really.

I wash my hair once daily, though.  And I have heard that you're more oily the more you wash your hair (hadn't heard that about bathing, but I'm sure it's the same reasoning)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Every damn day. Sometimes twice a day if I work out at night/after work instead of the morning. Except on Sunday, if I'm having a lazy pajama day. And then I feel super duper icky. So even then I usually get off the couch at about 5pm and shower.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• I shower every day and wash my hair every day. I have super fine hair and it gets greasy easily, so I absolutely have to wash it daily.

However, I have been known to have the occasional hungover, couch-bound Sunday where my range of motion goes no farther than the water and Tylenol on my coffee table.
  • Usually every day?  I shower in the mornings, but if I oversleep, I skip that day.  Unless I work out.

Depends on how lazy I'm feeling/what I have going that day.
    I french with my man
  • I generally shower every day. I definitely shower if I'm going out and doing something important. Occasionally, if it's a totally lazy weekend, and all I have to do is run to the grocery store or something I won't shower.

I wash my hair every time I shower. It is super, super fine, and it gets greasy after about 12 hours. I've heard multiple times that you shouldn't wash it every day, because that actually makes it more greasy, but I just can't stand not washing it.
  • I shower if I have to be somewhere, so most days of the week.

Sometimes if I don't leave the house over the weekend, I just stay in my pjs and ponytail it.

HOT.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I shower everyday. Sometimes twice, especially in the summer.
  • Every other day. My doctor want me to every three days due to my horrid eczema, but generally I do every other day.

• It varies.  During the Summer, I sweat more and shower every day...religiously.

During the winter, my skin gets REALLY dry and I don't feel gross if I don't shower every day, so usually I'll shower every other day unless I've just gone to the gym or have otherwise made myself smelly.

Also, when I have lazy days at home, I sometimes will skip a shower. 
  • I shower every day if I'm leaving the apartment. If I'm just hanging around then I usually don't. I only wash my hair a few times a week, or else it seems to get pretty dry. Maybe I'm using the wrong products, since it's pretty hard to manage all around. If I work out I always have a full shower afterwards.

Once a week is yucky, especially after digging for oysters!
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards