Wedding Woes

Since it's slow, JFK Assassination Stuff

There is a twitter account called @RealTimeJFK that is recreating his Dallas trip/assassination over Twitter for the 50th anniversary.  It's interesting, though I have lots of conflicting thoughts about it.

Re: Since it's slow, JFK Assassination Stuff

• My niece had to do a project on this and it was interesting listening to my mom relay her thoughts and feelings.  My mom would have been 15 and going to a Catholic hs. She had to explain the different media coverage and that they were getting all the information through the tears of nuns.

It was also my uncle's 8th bday.  He was sad that nobody wanted to celebrate and have cake with him.

• I've been kind of fascinated by it since I went to the museum in Dallas.  For some reason, seeing the page of the news wire they had has stayed with me all these years now. You can feel the urgency when the reporter is asking the wire to be cleared so he can start reporting what's going on and the confusion from other people asking for a repeat.  It was quite moving.
  • Interesting! I can see the conflicting thoughts. Think it will be intriguing to watch how taking a 140 character lens to the events will expand thinking about it. Especially since a lot of us on twitter weren't alive to experience it. 
  • There was some news story about Jackie still having her blood stained suit on during Johnson's oath.  They also cut a hole in Air Force 1 so the casket could go inside the cabin.  She flew right next to her assassinated husband.  I can't even imagine.

• I saw an interview with the secret service officer that jumped up on the limo, that was heart breaking. Jackie climbed back in an attempt to gather the tissue that had been blown back, completely in a state of shock from how he described it.
  • She does have her suit still on, you just can't see the bloodstains in the swearing in pictures b/c it's on the side closest to Johnson.

It has always seemed macabre that the suit was kept.  At least there's no public viewing of it (until 2103, I just looked it up, according to Caroline Kennedy's will.  It will be re-negotiated at that time).
  • This makes me all warm and squishy; in our first phone conversation, Mr. Kuus and I bonded and fell in love over JFK assassination conspiracy theories.
  • Kuus, IDK if you can get it for free somehow, but this month's Skeptic magazine had a huge article about all of the conspiracy theories.  It was incredibly thorough which meant it tended to get a bit pedantic, but it had lots of interesting information.
  • Does that mean new and exciting conspiracy theories, or some sort of psychological analysis of people who get caught up in the theories?
  • The one I specifically read was re: the actual conspiracy theories.  They rank them from most to least famous, identify major players in each one and explain how they came about and what they are.

But most of the issue is about the subject, so there were more things I haven't gotten around to reading.  I'm not a huge fan of Skeptic, so it's sometimes tedious for me.
  • Ah.  I've never read it before.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards