June 2014 Weddings

Venue

I need some input ladies... When we started planning this, we jumped on our cheapest option for the reception venue. Now I'm 2nd guessing our decision. There is another venue we both really like but it would cost an additional $400.00. And the only date they have available is July 12. I'll tell ya a bit about them. The venue we have booked is a community center, very nice and is only $550.00 for 12 hrs. has all the tables and chairs we'll need but we will have to set up and tear down. We will supply everything there (food, drinks, alcohol, entertainment etc.). But we would have to pay for another venue for a ceremony. The other place we really like is a community center, it is $800 for 4 hours but they set up and tear down. We have to do soft drinks thru them and they charge .50 per cup, if we bring in any alcohol or our guest do we have to have 2 certified bartenders which most are $60.00 and we could use their amphitheater for the ceremony for $150.00. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Venue

• wabanziwabanzi member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    Tough call. Have you paid/placed a deposit on your first venue? If so, will they refund it? If not I wouldn't switch.  But I'm a cheapskate on things like this.

Have you talked with the first venue for any options on the ceremony?  Do they have an covered porch, lobby, etc., where you can hold cocktail hour while they flip the room so you can have the ceremony there?

It is very nice & convenient to have the ceremony & reception at the same place. The question is it worth it?  

Personally, I would opt for a longer reception.  4 hours is OK, but it goes by so fast, 5 hours would be much better and you won't feel so rushed.  You have that option at the first venue.  

I would also do a search for a ceremony venue, add in that charge to the total bill so the comparison would be more valid.  Right now with the price difference, you could hire a wedding DOC for set up/tear down for what you are saving with the bonus of having him/her for the rehearsal, and to keep things running smoothly through the wedding day.

FYI:
    Soda at t $.50 per cup for 150 guests would be around $250-$350 dollars at the new venue, while bringing in your own would be slightly under $100 at the first venue (less if you go for a punch/ice tea/lemonade and skip the soda).

You will also need to tip your bartenders, standard for DIY bars is $.50-$1 per guest each (which would apply in both venue situations).
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can get our deposit back as long as it's before April 21. We haven't done our save the dates yet and no oot guests everyone is local. A friend of mines mom is starting a planning business and would charge me $450 for DOC or I could have my family help me that morning set it all up. As far as drinks we were going to supply pop, water, ice, beer and cups everyone was bringing their own liquor (I know that's a no no here but it's our family tradition because everyone has a specific liquor or beer they will only drink). So we wouldn't have a bar tender. The original venue doesn't have a place to have the ceremony, although we could do it inside if we had to. If I used my moms church it would be $300 including the officiants tip. I'm just afraid that if we have 125 people and they keep throwing cups away that .50 per cup is going to add up quickly and we would be paying for bartenders to really sit and do nothing
  • I should also add our 5th anniversary is June 10 would be weird to move it back a month?
  • I can get our deposit back as long as it's before April 21. We haven't done our save the dates yet and no oot guests everyone is local. A friend of mines mom is starting a planning business and would charge me $450 for DOC or I could have my family help me that morning set it all up. As far as drinks we were going to supply pop, water, ice, beer and cups everyone was bringing their own liquor (I know that's a no no here but it's our family tradition because everyone has a specific liquor or beer they will only drink). So we wouldn't have a bar tender. The original venue doesn't have a place to have the ceremony, although we could do it inside if we had to. If I used my moms church it would be $300 including the officiants tip. I'm just afraid that if we have 125 people and they keep throwing cups away that .50 per cup is going to add up quickly and we would be paying for bartenders to really sit and do nothing
    Oh, per cup--not per drink.  Can you bring your own cups (ha ha).

Honestly, I would still go for the longer reception.  4 hours is short.  That's me though.  I know some don't really want a long event.  Maybe that should be your deciding factor.  How long of reception do you want? 

20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Never ending lol this is 5 years in the making and I didn't want to take my dress off the other night lol I think we will stick with our current venue and we can look to see if we could do the ceremony there :)
  • We decided to keep the original venue :) it's just cheaper and easier all around and I think we're going to do the doc to get there and set everything up :) the guys will help put out the tables and chairs and she will do the table cloths and center pieces. Now when are we supposed to send out invititations lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards