Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Groom Skydiving into Ceremony???

Hi all! My fiance and I are getting married in April on St. Croix. He is an avid skydiver, and has mentioned that he would love to skydive and land onto the large lawn by the beach where we will be getting married. I love that he is enthusiastic about this, and this is pretty much the first thing in many months of planning that he has actually requested. I feel like a you-know-what telling him no, but I see sooo many things going wrong! It's not that he is not good at what he does, it's just things that are out of his hands that I am worried about.. What if he doesn't land on time? What if the winds are too high and he lands in the water? Or has to land back at the airport with the plane? Will I be left at the altar waiting with all of our guests for him to make his appearance? I don't know if I'm over-reacting and should just let him go for it if he can work out the details. 

I need some advice! What would you tell him? 

Re: Groom Skydiving into Ceremony???

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    Tell him no, firmly.  All these things that you bring up are excellent reasons why what he wants to do is a terrible idea.

No matter how guilty he tries to make you feel, you will be doing nothing wrong by making it clear that this is not acceptable.
  • That's an awful idea. Very Attention Whore-ish.

• You're right - there's so much that could go wrong that's completely out of his hands. 

And I agree with @Viczaesar - it's really attention whorish. It makes the whole thing about him - not the two of you. It's kind of like he's trying to use your wedding as an excuse to take advantage of a captive audience and say "LOOK AT MEEEEE!!!!" Tell him no. Just get married.

*********************************************************************************

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013

Don't do this. Very AW-ish.

Don't you remember in Full House where Uncle Jesse went skydiving before the wedding and ended up landing in a truck full of tomatoes?!? Aunt Becky was not happy.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

Don't do this. Very AW-ish.

Don't you remember in Full House where Uncle Jesse went skydiving before the wedding and ended up landing in a truck full of tomatoes?!? Aunt Becky was not happy.

Lmao!! I totally remember that. Freaking Uncle Jesse! 

I don't think it's a terrible idea. We're doing something totally off-the-wall for our ceremony. But I do agree that a lot could go wrong. 
  • KatWAG said:

OMG!  We just watched this episode earlier this week!!!!!  DS loves Full House.

I think it would be super cool to watch because I'm frankly tired of going to weddings that are exactly the same as the last one I attended and I like off the wall stuff that truly reflects the couple.  But that's as a guest.  As the bride, uh no.  Too many logistics and opportunities for a bad out come.
  • I've been to weddings where the bride is just a few minutes behind schedule and people start to shift in their seats and muttering.  I can't imagine what would happen if the groom is really late because they had to abort the jump, return to the hanger, and then drive him to the ceremony site.  You are right there are just too many factors that are out of his control.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm all for making a wedding your own, but you're right: there is way too much that could go wrong here. 

If skydiving is his thing, maybe you could incorporate it elsewhere. Take a special jump with him and use the photos for STDs or something. 
  • I would tell him gimmicks at weddings are cheesy as fuck and that most of the guests will probably roll their eyes about it. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards