Wedding Woes

hello...hello

Re: hello...hello

• VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2013
    I'm actually redoing an entire presentation right now.  And doing calculations of stuff that is kind of making my head spin (a "your income should've been" versus "your income is" with too many incomes flowing).

Son of Baldwin on FB just posted a seriously interesting article on Scandal and the comments run the gamut.

""For the past few months, a friend has been trying hard to get me to watch Scandal. Every Thursday as social media lights up with all things Olivia Pope and fans are left on the edge of their seats, I’m one of the few people out of the loop and, in her mind, seriously missing out.

'Girl, I can’t bring myself to root for the side chick,' I always tell her. Yet she insists that it’s only one aspect of the show. 'It’s so good. Just watch it!'

Finally I took an opportunity to check out a few episodes. She was right...to an extent. The writing and twists were actually good. But with all the suspense, Kerry Washington's infamous lip quiver and her character's chic wardrobe, I couldn’t seem to get past the love affair. I wondered if I should view a show like Scandal as simply entertainment like most other fans do.

The role and implications of music, entertainment and media is something that constantly leaves me torn. I realize that while it was easy for me to point out the things I found troubling with Scandal, there are so many other things in pop culture I revel in that go against the grain of my conscious." 

- Shahida Muhammad, "The Moral Compass of Entertainment
    (Or Lack Thereof?)", EBONY MAGAZINE

Question: Is there a term for the men who are side-lovers of married women? I keep hearing the term "side chick" and I can't escape the inherent sexism in the term because I never heard the dude messing around with a married woman called "side cat" or any such jargon. My guess is that we don't hear or use that term for men because we somehow see the men as always being the ones in control of the situation, whether they are the cheaters or the cheatees. And that's some bullshit. 

I propose, to make it fair, that we start using the term "side cat" to describe jump-off dudes. And we must also assign all the same negative assumptions, characteristics, and judgments to side cat as we do side chick."  Link:  
    https://www.facebook.com/sonofbaldwinfb?hc_location=stream

Also, I have been enjoying the conversation around Rihanna's hair at the AMAs.  If I hadn't read some of the blogs I do, I would've just thought she had a nice hairdo.  :)
  • I'm here but it's hard typing on an iPad while holding Miss Princess Diva. Sleep for mom is apparently overrated.
  • I'm bored too.  And tired.  I have so much to do this evening.  I need a day off before Thursday. 
  • I'm at work, trying to slack.  Unfortunately boss #1 thinks things will actually happen this week.  BAH!  People don't give a crap.  Let alone city people, let alone NEW city people.

They don't care that you worked on getting something approved, they want their vacation, yo.
  • V, I'm also surprised at how may fb friends I have that root for their love affair. Really?

• NOLA, people will root for "true love" or even just steamy when it's entertaining. 

Unless it's their own lives.  Then it gets a hearty "hell no".
  • I think Scandal's problem is that there's a lot of emphasis put on it, that it doesn't really deserve or can handle.  At the end of the day, it's supposed to be just some television.  But b/c of it's cast and it's writer, it's shouldering a burden that isn't fair (the issue of television and race), so every little thing is discussed over and over.  When I was watching this last episode, I thought, "I'm watching a melodrama, not West Wing".  Once I finally accepted that's what it was going to be, it got a little better.

I think it could do it better.  But I'm really peeved that they got rid of the Josie Marcus campaign and they did it in really a crappy manner.

I also think what Oface said is true, b/c so many people can't help but root for someone.  The whole Breaking Bad series proved that when people kept trying to "white wash" Walter White and say he wasn't a bad man, this was for his family, blah, blah, blah.  No, White turned into a very bad man and the point was that even the mild mannered, no one is afraid of him, lily white, middle class teacher has the potential to break badly, rather than in a heroic manner.  I was flabbergasted at people who sympathized w/him.   
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2013
    VarunaTT said:
    I also think what Oface said is true, b/c so many people can't help but root for someone.  The whole Breaking Bad series proved that when people kept trying to "white wash" Walter White and say he wasn't a bad man, this was for his family, blah, blah, blah.  No, White turned into a very bad man and the point was that even the mild mannered, no one is afraid of him, lily white, middle class teacher has the potential to break badly, rather than in a heroic manner.  I was flabbergasted at people who sympathized w/him.   
    Same thing is happening with Jax on SOA.  He's done some really bad shit these last 2 seasons (I mean, besides all the killing, he forcibly injected drugs into his ex-baby mama to avoid her having a custody case). But his wife, Tara tried to leave him this season and used some questionable tactics (however, no one died) so she could not only leave, but gain custody of the kids, and people are maligning her online and even going after Maggie Siff herself (much like in the case of Skyler and the actress who played her on BB).  It's insanity.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards