Canada-Ontario

Choosing a Ceremony Officiant

How are you guys choosing  your ceremony officiant? We are getting married in Milton and looking for just a basic civil ceremony.....I was surprised by the cost of this service. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Re: Choosing a Ceremony Officiant

• naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2013
    We got ours from our church - the pastor.

To do a civil ceremony you can either use a religious officiant doing a secular ceremony or you can use a judge, your call.  There are several GTA-based officiant organizations, primarily made up of pastors who do non-denominational religious or secular ceremonies, and the girls on here have had good suggestions in the past.

Check this thread out too where there are a bunch of local recommendations:
    http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_officiant-1
  • I was also surprised at the cost. I ended up going with someone from our venue's Recommended Vendors list. I spent quite a bit of time on kijji and contacting people, but everyone was very expensive and was nickel and diming me for everything! (travel, rehearsal)

My biggest advice is to ask for a video of them conducting a ceremony, to save travel time and making a million appointments.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Choose someone with whom you feel comfortable and who can share/visualize your vision for your event.  What's your price range for an officiant? 

For our civil ceremony, we wanted to include traditions that come from the Filipino culture as well as those that come from my husband's background. We schedule two meetings with two different officiants, Jeremy Citron from All You Need is Love, and another officiant, whose name I have forgotten at the moment.  Both officiants came highly recommended by previous brides and from wedding planners/co-ordinators alike.  But when we met with Jeremy, he understood the Filipino traditions and he was down to earth and funny.  We instantly knew he'd be perfect and he was.  He was one of the highlights all of our guests mentioned.

One of the biggests pluses with Jeremy is he completely outlines every single step of the ceremony and what will happen at what point in the ceremony.  So much so, we didn't even need him for the rehearsal and he also recommended that he really needn't attend as well because it was an extra cost and because the ceremony is so outlined by him and by our wants.

What are you looking for in an officiant?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_choosing-a-ceremony-officiant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:4f0e4b99-9bea-4993-a4dc-f07b5ee4185dPost:20c63c15-e6d3-4801-bd08-19724f31d380">Re: Choosing a Ceremony Officiant</a>:
    [QUOTE]Choose someone with whom you feel comfortable and who can share/visualize your vision for your event.  What's your price range for an officiant?  For our civil ceremony, we wanted to include traditions that come from the Filipino culture as well as those that come from my husband's background. We schedule two meetings with two different officiants, Jeremy Citron from All You Need is Love, and another officiant, whose name I have forgotten at the moment.  Both officiants came highly recommended by previous brides and from wedding planners/co-ordinators alike.  But when we met with Jeremy, he understood the Filipino traditions and he was down to earth and funny.  We instantly knew he'd be perfect and he was.  He was one of the highlights all of our guests mentioned. One of the biggests pluses with Jeremy is he completely outlines every single step of the ceremony and what will happen at what point in the ceremony.  So much so, we didn't even need him for the rehearsal and he also recommended that he really needn't attend as well because it was an extra cost and because the ceremony is so outlined by him and by our wants. What are you looking for in an officiant?
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]

Have to second Jeremy.  He's officiating our wedding in April and from our meeting with him, we walked away completely happy with him.  He was so helpful and thorough and respected our unusual quirks and such.  Being Pagan, I wanted a handfasting and his knowledge of that practice was a selling point as well.  Everything in the ceremony is customized to your wishes and he's got a great sense of humour.  (He thinks it's hilarious he's pronouncing us "partners in crime")
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards