Wedding Woes

When to get a Christmas tree?

We recently moved into a cute rental house instead of an apartment and I'm super excited that we have room to decorate for Christmas. I think we even have the space for a full-size tree. Should we go to a Christmas tree farm and cut one down? Do they have smaller trees (4'-5')? When should we get the tree? 

Re: When to get a Christmas tree?

• You should probably call whatever christmas tree farm in your area and ask them these questions.
  • Ditto Varuna, but as a real tree enthusiast, here's my advice:

If you keep the tree well-watered, you can get it right at the start of December and keep it through New Year's. Certain types of trees will have less needle-shedding than others, but I never remember the names, so ask the tree stand/farm. 

I wouldn't bother to cut one; we always go to a tree stand and buy one already cut. Every place I've bought one will also put a fresh cut on the trunk for you; take it home and put in water *immediately*. 

Do not buy a plastic tree stand. Always metal. 

Follow the seller's instructions for watering. You can buy "tree refresher" stuff to put in the water, but I don't know if that actually works. We've never bought it, live in a dry climate, and have no issues keeping the tree lush if we water twice a day. 

Put the lights on first, then the ornaments. 

And have fun! 
  • NEVERRRRR.

But I don't like Christmas, so I'm the worst person to ask.

• We will be getting our tree either some point this weekend or next weekend.  We haven't had a real tree in a few years.  All I know is that we plan to get the tree and keep it outside for a day in a bucket of water...then we'll put it in the house - let it acclimate overnight and then decorate.  

Good luck. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Michelle & Ronald
    01/03/81
    06/18/81
    08/25/10
    05/07/13
    03/15/14

image172 Invites sent
    image 132 adults and 3 kids are party animals
    image 40 are party poopers
    image 0 awaiting reply
    Need 8 adults to make minimum.  Eek.
  • I used to love going to the tree farm and cutting down a tree when I was little. We'd go the first weekend in December and the tree would still look great at Christmas. We would bring it and start decorating it within a few hours. The tree was cold and putting the decorations on right away was a little chilly so I'd recommend following what soontobemrsbuccheri said and letting it sit in the house overnight.

I'm hoping to adopt the tradition with H as soon as we get a place that's big enough for a tree :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards