Catholic Weddings
Options

Irish Catholic Traditions?

Anybody know of some specifically Irish Catholic wedding traditions? I'd like to incorporate some, but I can't seem to find any that are beyond just a blessing at the reception and/or serving Irish food/ drink. I'm thinking specifically for the mass, and we are using the Celtic Alleluia.
Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart

Re: Irish Catholic Traditions?

• Options
    Isn't handfasting a Celtic tradition?  I've actually seen that done in a Catholic wedding.  It's really sweet.  =)
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_irish-catholic-traditions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:abd5863e-22cb-456c-958d-2bc766c486d4Post:73779d35-b35c-41aa-893d-e85c2ad1830a">Irish Catholic Traditions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anybody know of some specifically Irish Catholic wedding traditions? I'd like to incorporate some, but I can't seem to find any that are beyond just a blessing at the reception and/or serving Irish food/ drink. I'm thinking specifically for the mass, and we are using the Celtic Alleluia.
    Posted by lv2011[/QUOTE]

Bagpipers outside the church, entering and leaving.  And the Celtic Alleluia.

Snuck in the Irish Wedding Song before anyone noticed ;)
  • Options

You could incorporate an irish blessing sometime during the ceremony or reception.

• Options
    i thought handfasting was a pagan tradition?

im half irish but i have no idea what irish wedding traditions would be.
  • Options
    We're doing the Irish Wedding Song during the Mass. Not sure where yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just so the PP's know....Celtic and Catholic are two totally opposite things...

That being said,  it's common in Ireland to have a harpist play during the ceremony (the harp is the national symbol of Ireland) and wearing green in any form on your wedding day is considered bad luck. You could have someone read the Irish Prayer, it's really sweet and would be nice for a wedding. You could mix the Celtic and Catholic cultures by incorporating the Celtic Cross (since that's what it was meant to do). Wearing a braid in your hair is also common for Irish brides.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know that there are quite a few hymns and psalms set to Irish melodies!  At our local Irish fair, there's usually a big outdoor Mass chock full of them... I didn't save the program, though :-(  Check with your organist or music director to see if they have any songs available!  Harp and fiddle would be nice for accompanying music during the Mass, too.
  • Options

We are having a bagpiper (FI is Irish and Scottish and I am Irish) and the Celtic Alleluia.  We are also having a celtic cross as our cake topper and I am looking for a horseshoe to have with my bouquet.

PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    We had a pretty "Irish" wedding, mostly b/c of the music we chose for both the Mass & reception.

For the mass/ceremony:  we had a traditional Irish band play all the prelude music & the gathering song & the recessional.   We didn't do anything out of the ordinary (other than the absolutely no green for the bridal party- which is something my husband was adamant about!) as far as traditions go.  The Communion song we chose was by Liam Lawton, who is Irish.  The church we both belonged to when we met used quite a bit of his music. We chose music that was lively & that our guests would at least know the tune of.  EVERYONE sang & participated.  Two years later,  the first thing people mention when they talk about our wedding is the ceremony & mass, which I think is pretty awesome!

For the reception, we had an Irish punk band.  It wasn't the full band (4/6 of them), and they played mostly traditional until 10 or 10:30, and then did some of their own music.  We met at one of their shows, and it was amazing to have them at the reception (or at least 2/3 of them- it would have been WAY too expensive to have the entire band).
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards