Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

What is a good way to add the mothers to the ceremony?

My fiancé and I both were mostly raised by our single mothers. I want to incorporate them into the ceremony for a moment. What is a few ways to add them to the ceremony (without doing the sand or unity candles)?

Re: What is a good way to add the mothers to the ceremony?

• Have them process in, have them walk you down the aisle, present flowers to them (Catholic inspiration), have them sign your marriage certificate as witnesses, have them be readers, or put a note in the program about how much they've meant to you. 

Really I don't think you have to do anything over the top here. 
  • You could ask your mothers if they'd like to be included beyond the processional and/or recessional.  They may prefer to do that alone or even not do that.  If they do want to be included, they may give you some suggestions.  But I wouldn't just decide on a role for them and spring it on them.
  • Ours are lighting the unity candle (side ones) to represent each family.  Then we will light the center one to join the families together.
  • kcnolan21 said:
    Ours are lighting the unity candle (side ones) to represent each family.  Then we will light the center one to join the families together.
     Our mothers did this as well! :) 
  • Walking down the aisle.

• Our mothers are doing a reading and then we are presenting them each with a rose and a personal note.
  • I agree with the walking down the aisle or you could have them each do a special reading during the ceremony.
  • Both H and I are very close with our mothers, our fathers are not in our lives. We both came down the aisle with our mothers. My sister, the officiant, asked them both, "Who gives this woman/man to this man/woman to marry?" Both of our mothers said, "She/He give herself/himself but with the love and support of her/his family."
  • Im stealing that line @JordanF13

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• JordanF13 said:
    Both H and I are very close with our mothers, our fathers are not in our lives. We both came down the aisle with our mothers. My sister, the officiant, asked them both, "Who gives this woman/man to this man/woman to marry?" Both of our mothers said, "She/He give herself/himself but with the love and support of her/his family."

I love the way you stated that one too!  I may need to steal that line. 

I'm debating how to include our mothers as well, who we are both very close with.  So, these might also be some options for you.

I thought about having my mom as a bridesmaid, maybe even MOH, since she really is my best friend... but after I made my sisters BM (I am close to both and it was important to them to be BM), I already ended up with 3 BM vs. 1 groomsman. 

I really want to have both my parents walk me down the aisle, but when I mentioned it to my dad he got offended by the idea... he's very traditional.  I figure they both have the same "right" to me.  I also don't want to use the "who gives this woman" line, but rather "who supports this union", since the independent part of me doesn't like the implication that they own me (especially since I'm mid-30's and live 2000 miles from them).  I may still tell my dad to suck it up and deal with it, because I really do like the idea of both of them walking me down aisle.

The other option would be to have mom do reading.  My mom did this at my brothers wedding.  They had non-religious ceremony but she thought it was important to include something so she did reading from Bible (with their permission of course).

• @missmo14 and @nicoann thank you! H really wanted some tradition in the ceremony but I'm not traditional so we compromised. Steal away! All the guests at the reception said they loved the sound of it, especially how emotional our Moms got when they said it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards