Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Ugly Chairs

I visited my venue to see a wedding being set up and saw the less-than-pretty reception chairs. I'm not a big fan of chair covers and wasn't planning on them, but these chairs are pretty yuck. What do you girls think? Would you cover these? (I think I already know the answer...)

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Ugly Chairs

• edited December 2011
    I am a fan of chair covers, but I am not paying extra for them at my venue. I would cover them. Makes for a more uniform pretty look IMO.
  • Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    These aren't the most beautiful chairs but I don't know how much you'll have to pay for covers.  I didn't get covers but my venue just got new chairs.  They weren't as formal as covers would have looked but I really don't think it will make or break your night.  Once the room is filled with guests, you won't notice either way.  Check your budget, if you can get covers, go for it.  If you can't, I personally don't think it will matter.  I didn't notice my chairs whatsoever.
    Photobucket
  • lisalaroclisalaroc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I wouldn't spend the money.  I am not doing it for our wedding and I don't adore the chairs.  I was worried about what people would say about them but then I just stopped caring.  Of all the things to comment on at my wedding, people better not bring up the chairs!!  Besides, the room is dim and most people are looking at centerpieces or worrying about hitting up the bar - not looking at chairs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • mandy122782mandy122782 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say if its in the budget then do it. If not I would not worry about it, I don't love my chairs either but like PP said once guests are in the room the chairs won't stick out as much.
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    IMO, chair covers are a waste of money.  Your guests won't care what the chairs look like, so why should you?
  • EiDuffyEiDuffy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i am having a similar issue, not a big fan of chair covers, but have chairs that look similar to yours, i think i am going to get the covers just for the look of things, but i also can't remember any chairs that i've sat in at the many weddings i've been too...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, I was 100% against paying for linens or chair covers.  Then, everything else pulled together and I realized that the chairs alone were an eyesore (and mine were tan, pretty neutral).  The chair covers I got really pulled the room together and created a blank canvas for the other details (centerpieces, lighting, etc) to show.

I paid a little less that $4 per cover.  I wasn't happy to shell out a few hundred more, but I liked the end result.

How many guests do you have? (What's a realistic final count, not total invited)

(You can see my tables/chair covers in the background of my siggy pic.  I just kept with the off white linens, and matching sash so everything was the same.)
  • edited December 2011
    For argument's sake...

Without chair covers (set up for bar mitzvah) with the same linens I used:

• ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had this issue at my venue, and they gave me a great deal on renting chivalre balroom chairs... because like you, I didn't like chair covers. Another option if your venue will do this for you?
  • Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BP - That's a great idea that I didn't even consider. My venue charges some ridiculous amout ($6) per chair cover. At about 120 (we're inviting 140) people, that's a lot of money for something I'm still not wild about. Did your venue go through a specific company? Do you mind me asking what the deal was?
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • FutureMrsTCTFutureMrsTCT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you can afford it. Go with the chair covers. I'll point to the two pictures MH has, the one without and her siggy picture. It definitely brings the room together, and those chairs are pretty hideous. But, again only if it is in your budget, don't go breaking bank for a smaller detail.
    *~~*The Future Mrs. Coulter-Thurley*~~*
    Siggy Challenge Pic with BM
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_ugly-chairs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:256cc064-57e5-4ff0-b135-34cc92c8b855Post:e51ec5c0-ea01-44c5-a929-44df2547583a">Re: Ugly Chairs</a>:
    [QUOTE]BP - That's a great idea that I didn't even consider. My venue charges some ridiculous amout ($6) per chair cover.
    Posted by Bean32[/QUOTE]

Can you go through an outside vendor for cheaper?
  • edited December 2011
    As a guest at a wedding, the chair is the last thing I am paying any attention to. I would skip the covers and save the money.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely pay attention to every detail but that's just me. But even so, I don't think chair covers are a minor detail. I think it definitely changes the look of the venue. I say spend the extra money to make it look nice. I know Select Events have specials each month. I got chivari chairs for $2 cheaper and linens at 50% off. Just read the fine print of how to give it back to them so you don't get charged.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_ugly-chairs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:256cc064-57e5-4ff0-b135-34cc92c8b855Post:e51ec5c0-ea01-44c5-a929-44df2547583a">Re: Ugly Chairs</a>:
    [QUOTE]BP - That's a great idea that I didn't even consider. My venue charges some ridiculous amout ($6) per chair cover. At about 120 (we're inviting 140) people, that's a lot of money for something I'm still not wild about. Did your venue go through a specific company? Do you mind me asking what the deal was?
    Posted by Bean32[/QUOTE]

I think I got them as low as $3.00 a chair, which was a good bit, but we had gotten such a good discount PP cause of winter, I didn't care. The chairs that were there were a rose color, and looked gross and dirty.... If you talk to your venue they may be able to help. Also price out doing it on your own and see if your venue lets it. Find the cheapest price then see if your venue will match? We went through our venue. I wanted the silver one's, they wanted 8pp for the silver, and only 3 for the gold, so yeah I went with the gold...
    Our chairs looked similar to yours, only they were a weird pink/rose color as stated above. Bleh. Let me try to find pictures.
    edited December 2011

Those were the ugly chairs, and below are the chairs I got (this is the only picture out of 500+ that used the ugly chairs, everyone else used the oen's I did, or chair covers:

edited December 2011

I just thought it made the room look better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards