Registry and Gift Forum

Do you ever use china?

I feel silly registering for 2 sets of dishes.... A lot of my friends are telling me "this is the time" to register for China but while I have visions of family dinners with special dishes... most of my friends just keep them in their china cabinet on display and we eat off their regular plates when we visit.

Do you find yourself actually using them?

Re: Do you ever use china?

• I registered for china for my first wedding. I only use them on special occasions (around 5 times per year), but I'm glad I registered for them. I never would have bought them for myself and I do like having the option of them. 
  • Another question, if you're only inviting about 30 people (potentially, I'm sure it will get a little higher by the time we get to the final guest list), would you bother?

I feel like we might just get half a set of each.

Is it tacky to mention that a used set is welcomed?
  • We're not going to ask for china. We'd never use it.
  • With 30 guests, it depends on whether you're willing to complete it yourself because you probably won't get all of it.  Buying china via ebay and replacements doesn't have to be expensive, especially if you are patient with it.  I snag deals on ebay every few months.

China is not for everybody, but we're really happy we have it.  We do use ours for special occasions, and also for nice weekend dinners.  I don't have an enormous sentimental attachment to it as our "wedding china" because I started it before we got married.  We completed it with our wedding, and now I'm just picking up the spare odd sized bowl now and then when a deal pops up on ebay.  But I would really love to wear it out and get a different pattern someday, just because I'm a person who likes that sort of thing.

If you would literally never use it, then you don't need to bother.  But I love ours, and I've never regretted registering for it.  I really like being able to set an awesome table, whether for the holidays, for guests, or just for the two of us when we feel like being fancy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have a nice set of everyday dishes. We're not really china people.
  • We use our china for dinner parties with friends and special occasions.  For a guest list of only 30 people I probably wouldn't register for it though.  You might inherit a nice set someday that will have more sentimental value (ie your grandparents' china).  I inherited my grandparents' silverware and silver serving pieces, and registered for new china.  I love our china, but the silverware and silver serving pieces mean more to me because they were my grandparents' set.
  • Oh I didn't even think of that. My nana's set would probably go to me. My mother has one of her own. Nana doesn't even use it, I bet she'd just give it to me if i really wanted to use them for holidays or something.
  • Before we registered, my mom and FI's mom told me that we would be getting a set of china (one from each side.. and magically, they work together!)

We registered for nice every-day dishes (they're plain white bone china so very durable).  I wouldn't want china from a store because my family's are really special (were a gift from my great-great grandparents to my grandparents when they got married, they gave to my mom when she got married).

If your guest list is so small, I don't know that I'd register for both sets (especially if you need everyday dishes).  It could be a fun thing to get yourselves a set later, if you missed having it and wanted to use it.
  • I have 3 sets of dishes and I use all 3 for different things. I think with a guest list that small though that you probably won't get all the china that you would need so if there is other stuff you would rather have I would register for that.
  • I am definitely not registering for it but I'm just the type of person that hates clutter and having anything in my home that I don't use. I don't believe in having a breadmaker and ice cream maker and pasta maker sitting in my cabinet if I'm never going to use them. My friend even scoffed one time because she brought wine over for herself and I didn't have wine glasses...I said I don't drink wine so it never occured to me to have any sitting around.

Growing up, my parents used their wedding china for holidays and birthdays only. But now that they are retired and empty nesters they use it daily as their normal plates & silverware.

• We're not registering for China, but I had already previously purchased an inexpensive set of second dishes that are appropriate for holidays.

My parents have a set of Christmas-themed China that they only use for family gatherings in Nov-Jan.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • We didn't do China and our only set of friends who got China never use theirs.  But there are different situations in different circles.

Like another previous poster we picked out a nice white plate that would work every day.  Then I also added a selection of napkin, placemats, and napkin rings to dress up the service.  We went through Bed, Bath, and Beyond and they were really helpful in picking out a nice plate that we like and showing how it can be used for everyday, and then dressed up for special occasions.

• I inherited china from a family friend when I was 18 and I use it several times a year. Most of the time I save it for holidays,  but occasionally I cook something extra special and can't bring myself to serve it on mismatched Target plates. 

FI does make fun of me for being insane and not allowing anyone to even clear their plate off the table since I'm scared someone will drop them. The Thanksgiving episode of Friends was on the other night where Monica was all anal about her wedding china and he made a big point that it was like watching me. 
  • We got china.  I love our pattern, so I try and find excuses to use it.  Most times it's a special occasion, but often it's "just because" family gatherings.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    afox007 said:
    I inherited china from a family friend when I was 18 and I use it several times a year. Most of the time I save it for holidays,  but occasionally I cook something extra special and can't bring myself to serve it on mismatched Target plates. 

FI does make fun of me for being insane and not allowing anyone to even clear their plate off the table since I'm scared someone will drop them. The Thanksgiving episode of Friends was on the other night where Monica was all anal about her wedding china and he made a big point that it was like watching me.

So a plate is broken?  They are replaceable.  Check on www.replacements.com, and then double check on eBay for better prices.  I just bought six extra coffee mugs to use Christmas day, and my china is 37 years old.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My mom mentioned this to my Nana and guess what I got for Christmas?! Her China set! It was actually her mother's and her family's as she was growing up.

I'm hosting her birthday at my house this month with close family, so can't wait to use them.

She spent a lot of time telling me not to put them in the dishwasher lol

• I still have my very pretty Wedgwood china from my first marriage.  It's in a few boxes in storage.  I can count on one hand with fingers left over the number of times I've used them in almost 25 years.  But my mother uses hers all the time.  If you think you'd like to pull it out for major holidays, go for it.  Your friends are right - this isn't something you'll ever buy for yourself, so now is the time.  :-)
  • My bookclub is coming over for coffee next week, and out comes the china and silver!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My parents never used their wedding china in all the years I've known them (hehe).

My mom keeps badgering me about "do you want it?!" No ma. It's ugly.
  • Yes, for holidays, and when we have friends come over!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• I don't have a wedding set, but I got a lot of china from my grandparents (10 plates here, a few teacups there) and I use it everyday! I'm not a "special occasions only" type of person. On my registry though I just have some Corelle dishes that I like.
  • Nope.  We didn't even register for any.  DH is a plain white plate guy anyway.  

I do have xmas china, but rarely use those because we are rarely around for the holiday anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I didn't - we registered for a set of plain white bone china to use everyday.

That being said, we've been told by both of our parents that we will be inheriting a set of china from each side.  From my parents, we'll get a set that was a wedding gift from my great-grandparents to my grandparents, and from his parents, we'll get a set from their wedding.  Actually, the two sets go together! :)

Once we have those, I'm sure we'll use them on occasion.
  • We definitely will be.  We host a lot, and I'm so used to using china at my parents' (even beyond holidays), I miss not having some now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My family uses it all the time. I registered for it because I will also use it. However it is a personal choice, you may not fell you need it. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards