Attire & Accessories Forum

Groom/groomsmen vest colors

So our wedding colors originally were grey, blush and ivory. My fiance decided he didnt like that anymore and this week we decided on navy, pink and gold, with some ivory/grey/mint accents. I wanted his side of the wedding party to wear grey tuxes, I think it would look so great. He doesnt want that, he wants black tuxes. I am trying to do as much as he wants for things since he gave up his biggest thing, getting married in a church (we having an outdoor ceremony, performed by a priest). But I just don't think the navy with the black will look that great. And with gold I was thinking more like glitter (our table numbers and some decor will have gold glitter, nothing overdone though). So that leaves, pink which he isn't a fan of. Suggestions?? Or do you think that the black and navy will work? He actually had a say in the bridesmaids dresses, he saw them in grey and said he liked navy better after checking online (there were a few others he liked but I hated them so this was our compromise), so should I push for grey tuxes? Or just let him do what he wants

Re: Groom/groomsmen vest colors

• I'm with your fiance. Tuxes should only ever be black. Suits can be gray. How dark is the navy? The almost black navy or a bluer navy? Have you already ordered the bridesmaid dresses?

And it's his attire, so he gets to pick it. If he wants a black tux, he gets to wear a black tux. He didn't tell you what type of dress you got to wear did he? And I personally do not like colored vests; they look too much like prom. What about vests in a neutral or vests in the color of the tux or suit?

• This is the dress, and it will be in Marine, http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Satin-Pleated-Bodice-Ball-Gown-F15554_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-All-Bridesmaid-Dresses 
    Its a very pretty color to be honest, and Moores Clothing for Men (I think in the states its called Mens Warehouse) has a matching vest in the same color. I was thinking an ivory for the vests, but I don't know why, it just seems so feminine (maybe because my dress is ivory? I dont know.)
  • edited December 2013
    If he's already compromised on something as big as getting married in his church, for the love, let him have black tuxes. 

Black and navy is fine. Our colors were navy and ivory with a kermit green accent. Our guys wore black suits with a navy/ivory striped tie. They looked really classic. You could also do black tuxes with black bow ties and bring in color with their boutonnieres. 

ETA: I'm with @PDKH - colored vests remind me of prom. You could differentiate the groom by him having an ivory vest/bowtie and the GMs having black vests/bowties. Kind of like this (except they nixed the vests):
    *********************************************************************************

• I have compromised as well on other things, things that cost upwards of 2000$ that I felt we could put elsewhere, and I have changed my bridesmaids count for him, and colors, 3 times. 
    Would you mind posting a photo of the groomsmen so I can see it? Thanks!
  • If the screen color and true color are similar, Marin and black will look fine together. Very elegant, actually. It's not like it's a dark navy. More of a deep blue.  

What about black vests? Or just ties? I like SouthernBelle's suggestion of bringing the color in just the ties and the bouts. 
  • The color in the store was exactly how it looked online (on my computer screens at least). I suggested no vests and just the ties, but he is set on the vests, so cutting it isnt an option (for now at least, maybe he will change his mind).
  • That's not actually a photo of my fiance and his groomsmen, but it's just one I found on google.
    *********************************************************************************

• I think black, gray, or white vests will all look fine.

Don't do ivory vests, because then you'll probably want ivory shirts and I think those look so dingy with tuxes. 
  • Here's a few more where they're all in black - groom with ivory and GMs with black:
    I really despise this photo, but from the waist up, it's what I'm trying to demonstrate.....lol

• I have compromised as well on other things, things that cost upwards of 2000$ that I felt we could put elsewhere, and I have changed my bridesmaids count for him, and colors, 3 times. 
    Would you mind posting a photo of the groomsmen so I can see it? Thanks!

IMO, he shouldn't have any say in your bridal party.  Also, even sides don't matter at all (in case that was the reasoning).
    I agree with PP that an ivory coloured tie might be nice and incorporate your colours.  Plus, the boutonnieres could be in one of your other colours.  

image I think those are suits but I just wanted to show the colours of the groomsmen against navy BM dresses 
    imageNot as good of a photo but has the tuxes against navy BM dresses
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards