Chit Chat

Keep forgetting to wear my ring

I've never been a big jewelry person at all so the feeling of my engagement ring is taking some getting used to. It's only been 2 months. But I keep taking it off to do dishes/ shoveling snow/ put on lotions or hair straightening oils...and then I keep forgetting to put it back on! I'm so used to the feeling of not wearing anything. Even for special occasions where people want to see it like Thanksgiving at my FMIL's and yesterday Christmas get together at my grandparents'! It's super embarrassing when people ask to see it and I'm like oh crap I'm not wearing it again, and FI keeps joking that I don't love him (he's just teasing!). Did this happen to you at first? How do you remember to put it back on or do you just never take it off??

Re: Keep forgetting to wear my ring

• I forgot it in its box on Saturday when we went out shopping. I felt bad. But I don't generally have a problem forgetting to wear it because before we got engaged, I had a ring that only fit the finger on my left hand and so I was used to having something there.

Anniversary
  • I did that a lot in the beginning. I'd take it off to do the dishes and then I'd leave it on the kitchen counter all night. I've gotten better at remembering. When I take it off now, I put it right into its ring box. 
  • I keep a ring stand next to the bathroom sink and I put it on there while I shower or if I'm doing something with hair product, lotion, etc.  The only time I tend to forget it is if we're going out somewhere at night and I'm rushing out the door, thus out of my morning routine.  

Just make it one of the things you mentally check for when you pack your purse or leave the house.  Think "Phone-Wallet-Keys-Ring."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I still do it on occasion. I forgot it on Thursday, I had taken it off to shower and then never put it back on. 

As far as dishes go, try getting a pair of dish gloves, The ones I get are just a bit big and I can keep it on while I do dishes, cause if it goes on the ring stand by the sink, I forget to put it back on.

Anniversary
  • I even left it at a hotel and my then-fiancé had to call the front desk and have them mail it back to us! Now I feel weird whenever I don't wear it.
  • I never wore jewelry daily until I got my e-ring.  I even wore the same pair of post earrings for 4 years!  So it was a big adjustment to me.  I had a soap dish that I use to hold my ring while I shower.  I just made it a habit to keep my ring on my mind while I showered, so when I got out, it went right back on my finger.  When applying lotion, I don't leave the spot until the lotion is rubbed in and my ring is back on my finger.  I've been wearing it for 3 years now and I'm very used to wearing it and very rarely forget it now.

My H is terrible at remembering his ring, unless he puts it right on his phone.  He always remembers his phone.  If he puts his ring on the soap dish, he usually forgets it there.

• I forget my e ring all the time. But I'm married and never take my wedding band off (it's a plain platinum band so I can sleep, wash dishes, shower and do just about anything in it) so I don't mind if I forget my e ring. :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I never really wore jewelry before my engagement ring, but I always notice when I'm not wearing it because I fidget.  A LOT.  I just can't keep my hands still, so if I'm wearing it I'm probably turning it on my finger or moving my hand around to see the different colors it turns (it's a rainbow moonstone so it flashes blue at different angles, although I've also seen it turn lavender in sunlight)  Since I'm constantly fidgeting with it, I always remember to put it back on because I always notice I'm not playing with it XD
    If you're having a real problem with forgetting to wear it, it could help to just buy a small, pretty box to put your ring in when you're not wearing it, and keep it someplace you'll notice, so you'll see the box and remember your ring!  
    Another option is this really cute Idea I saw on Etsy, It's a necklace chain with two clips that goes on your ring, so you can wear it around your neck when it's not on your finger.  It's for nurses, so they can wear their ring even when they can't have anything on their hands due to work, but it could also be a cute idea for everyday use- so that even when you forget to put your ring back on, it's around your neck when someone wants to see it, instead of left at home.  Of course you don't need to buy the actual product, you can always just take the chain from a necklace you don't like and put your ring on it when you don't want it on your finger.

• I basically never take mine off for this reason. I take it off at the gym but that is all. I always forget to put it back on and am afraid I'll lose it.

I did not get used to it being there for like 5 months. I don't wear any jewelery typically so it was odd feeling at first.
  • For a long time I would take mine off and put it on the chain I wore. This was specifically so I could not forget/ miss place my ring. I do this more when I travel, instead of just when taking it off like before.
  • It used to feel so weird when I wore mine, and I'd forget about it when it wasn't on. But now, I've made a point to put it on first thing in the morning when I wake up (I keep it on my bedside table, next to my phone and glasses), and it's the last thing I take off at night. Having that type of routine has really helped me remember. I only take it off for any extended period of time when I shower, and I make sure to put it on a ledge in our bathroom that I see as soon as I come out of the shower, and then it goes right back on. 4+ months after getting engaged, it now feels weird not to have it on!

• I just never take mine off!  I wear it to bed, in the shower, in the pool, and everything.  Only time I don't wear it is when I'm washing a lot of dishes or I'm putting on sunscreen in the summer.  Even then sometimes I still leave it on.  I do take it off when we're doing something with chemicals (like outside bug spray kinda stuff) or paint, and also anytime I make FI dinner and I have to touch meat (I personally don't eat meat, but I don't want raw chicken or anything on my ring).  Oh and I did take it off when we went tubing/ swimming in a lake over the summer.

• Thanks everyone- glad I'm not the only one that finds it weird getting used to!

When I went to get it sized I told the jeweler "my mother told me never take the ring off because it can always be cleaned but if you lose it you're screwed" and the jeweler said well I disagree and he listed all these things that are harmful to the gold (like chlorine & bleach). He said the gold will develop microscopic holes that weaken it and one day it'll be weak enough that a prong will fall off and there goes my diamond. So now I'm scared of that and always take it off when doing those activities.  I find it odd that people take it off to shower and sleep though...why do you do that?

• xmobergx said:

Thanks everyone- glad I'm not the only one that finds it weird getting used to!

When I went to get it sized I told the jeweler "my mother told me never take the ring off because it can always be cleaned but if you lose it you're screwed" and the jeweler said well I disagree and he listed all these things that are harmful to the gold (like chlorine & bleach). He said the gold will develop microscopic holes that weaken it and one day it'll be weak enough that a prong will fall off and there goes my diamond. So now I'm scared of that and always take it off when doing those activities.  I find it odd that people take it off to shower and sleep though...why do you do that?

I take mine off to sleep and shower simply because it's uncomfortable to leave it on. My center stone sits well above the halo setting and would get caught in my hair when I shower, and the prongs would dig into my pillow and/or face when I sleep.

• xmobergx said:

Thanks everyone- glad I'm not the only one that finds it weird getting used to!

I take mine off to sleep and shower simply because it's uncomfortable to leave it on. My center stone sits well above the halo setting and would get caught in my hair when I shower, and the prongs would dig into my pillow and/or face when I sleep.
    Same here.  I can't wear my ring when I'm touching my hair.  My hair gets stuck on everything.
  • The only times I take mine off are putting on lotion, cleaning the ring or messy cooking.  Dishes, showering, everything else it stays on.

I had it off for about 2 weeks when it was getting appraised.

My mother didn't take her rings off much, if at all, during the twenty five years her and my dad were married; the harsher chemicals and bleach she used to do cleaning never did any damage to the ring.  And she was never afraid to plunge her hand into anything.

• The only times I take mine off are putting on lotion, cleaning the ring or messy cooking.  Dishes, showering, everything else it stays on.

My mother didn't take her rings off much, if at all, during the twenty five years her and my dad were married; the harsher chemicals and bleach she used to do cleaning never did any damage to the ring.  And she was never afraid to plunge her hand into anything.

Same with my mom! She just lost her stone this year after 33 years! Which was a nice excuse for my dad to buy her a brand new ring :)
  • I never take mine off. I am not a person who wears jewelry daily, I tend to go through spurts. Then after a while I get sick of wearing rings and things so I don't. But I lose EVERYTHING. So I know that if I were to take my ring off at night or something I would forget it, and then lose it. Plus we have cats that love to play with everything lol. I only take it off to do the dishes, and I put it in the drawer. Sometimes to do my hair. I have gloves that I wear to the gym. Oh, and I take it off for kickboxing. It took a while but I am now used to having my ring on all the time.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• @xmobergx - my folks have now been divorced longer than they were married, so I don't think my dad will be buying my mom anymore rings ;)

• I keep my ring on while sleeping, though that took some getting used to as well.  I take it off to shower on the off chance that I loose a diamond and it washes down the drain.  My ring is insured in case this happens, but that doesn't mean I want to deal with them on the chance I lose a diamond!
  • Kerigirl9Kerigirl9 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2013

The only times I take mine off are putting on lotion, cleaning the ring or messy cooking.  Dishes, showering, everything else it stays on.

Agreed. The only other time I will take it off is when I'm gardening because I was told that all that "handi work" CAN loosen the prongs. Other than that, it's on me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have had mine for 5 days and already when i take it off to sleep at night if eel it on and constantly check for itand remember its in its box. I have made aroutine to always put it in its box, even when im athome, ifi am going to take it off, igo upstairs and put it in its box

• I forgot my ring twice. The first time was about 2 weeks after we got engaged and then the next week I left it and didnt realize it until I got to work. Now I try not to take it off except for when I shower, wash dishes, put on lotion and do my hair. I've become very attached to it that if I take it off for any other reason it feels like my soul is dying lol I tried taking it off last night while I slept but I had to put it back on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards