Wisconsin

Cakes...anyone done sheet cake for guests????

Hi all! 

So I've been really thinking about dessert choices for our reception and I have decided that I want our guests to have cake. The problem is that having a huge wedding cake is just too expensive for us. So we are thinking about doing layered sheet cakes that will be cut for the guest. We still want to have a small cake that we cut, but are wondering about the sheet cakes. 

Has anyone done this or been to a wedding where this was done??? 

Also, any ideas of places that would do this? I have searched through wedding cakes and not a lot of them offer the sheet cakes as an option. 

Thanks in advance to any who reply!

Visit The Knot!   Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cakes...anyone done sheet cake for guests????

• We are basically doing this for our wedding in November. We are expecting around 225 to 250 people and that can get pretty expensive for cake! We are having a two layered square cake to be on display and for us to cut, and then sheet cakes for most of the guests that the venue will just cut and serve to them out of the kitchen. We are using Craig's Cakes out of Verona (Madison). They are a bit more expensive than other vendors but the cake is AMAZING and so far the service has been great. Good luck!
  • We just got married September 28th and this is exactly what we did.  We chose to do a decorated 2-tier wedding cake (10" bottom and 8" top), and 3-1/2 undecorated sheet cakes to serve our 320 guests.  Having sheet cakes allowed our venue (The Racine Marriott) to have them cut and plated in a timely fashion for dessert, while we could still have our wedding cake on display through dinner for guests to see until it was taken back to be cut.  It was very economical and we still had a beautiful wedding cake to cut.  We used O&H Bakery on Douglas in Racine, WI for our cakes.  I highly recommend them!
  • We are going with National Bakery in the Milwaukee area and they are doing just that - sheet cakes and a small cake to cut. Cake tastes great!!
  • Most of the weddings I think back to that used cake did something like this.  A two or three tiered cake but what the guests were served was more sheet cake style.

My girlfriend did two large sheet cakes for their reception.  It was a destination wedding, so the reception was for everyone who couldn't travel with the couple.  We went to Costco and had two large sheet cakes decorated beach theme, one for her and one for him.  Then we picked up an 18" ampersand at Hobby Lobby and had it set between the cakes.  Alot of the guests commented how they liked having two cakes that reflected the individual styles but had the same overall theme...and it was dirt cheap, (unfortunately this would be much less formal for a traditional wedding cake)

• We are doing this.  I don't like the look of a big wedding cake so we are going to do a small three tier wedding cake with only the top layer being real. (this was suggested by our baker). They have a lot of different flavors and its hard to pick so we are doing 5 half sheets.  We are going with Gooseberries in Burlington
  • I'm also doing this. We'll have a two or three tierd cake and then sheet cake as well. Our size is 150ppl. I'm in Green Bay and we're going with Cakes From Scratch. The price is was quoted was double layer sheet cake at $1.75/slice. The other bakeries I was considering were Monzu and Bernies and both of them had a sheet cake option.
  • Hi, I'm doing this too, we're using Gooseberries in Burlington
  • I'm planning on doing Sam's Club sheet cakes (my venue said many people do that, and the staff cuts and plates it in back, so people aren't even aware).  I will get a very small cake for the two of us.  I think it's a great idea!  I can't remember the cake at any of the past weddings I've been to anyway. 
  • Hi, I'm doing this too, we're using Gooseberries in Burlington
    I love Gooseberries!!
  • tigger75 said:
    Hi all! 

So I've been really thinking about dessert choices for our reception and I have decided that I want our guests to have cake. The problem is that having a huge wedding cake is just too expensive for us. So we are thinking about doing layered sheet cakes that will be cut for the guest. We still want to have a small cake that we cut, but are wondering about the sheet cakes. 

Has anyone done this or been to a wedding where this was done??? 

Also, any ideas of places that would do this? I have searched through wedding cakes and not a lot of them offer the sheet cakes as an option. 

Thanks in advance to any who reply!
    We are doing a tiered cake and a 1/2 sheet cake
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards