Not Engaged Yet

Let's daydream....

The Mega Millions is up to $586 million. 

If you play and were to win, what would you do with the money? 

If you don't play, why not?

Re: Let's daydream....

• I put money in for a pool with the people I take a commuter shuttle with. We all give one person $20 at the beginning of the year and just put that money towards any high payout lotto games. So, I am playing and if I did win:

I'd quit my job

Pay off my house

Buy a bigger house cash

Invest some money

Buy a condo in Mexico

Take a long vacation

Donate like a million bucks to my favorite cat shelter in town

Spend the rest of my life drinking, watching Maury, popping out babies and adopting cats

I'd probably find some sort of part time job that would coincide with something I enjoy doing. Like work at Michael's or a knitting store or something. Enough work that it keeps me busy, but not so much that I start hating my job, you know?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • First, I'd quit my job. Then, I'd pay off my student loans and happily tell Sallie Mae to go fuck herself. 

I would buy a compound for my family. 

I would buy another compound/winery for my NEY sister-wives. 

I would travel EVERYWHERE. 

I would donate a nice chunk of change to colon cancer research. 

I would start a clinic for stray cats. 

• Swazzle said:
    The Mega Millions is up to $586 million. 

If you play and were to win, what would you do with the money? 

If you don't play, why not?

BF puts money in a pool at work sometimes. If we were to win we would:

- Sell our house and most of our belongings and take a multi-year vacation

- Quit our jobs

- Invest the money in order to guarantee a comfortable income to do whatever we want with for the rest of our lives

- Pay off our student loan debt

- Pay off our parents' debt

- Buy BF's dad his dream truck.

- Give some of the money to charity..preferably to things like AIDS/HIV outreach, malaria vaccine research, diabetes research

• WHEN I WIN :):):)

First - Contact a lawyer and a financial adviser - until everything is all secured and that first check comes, go on as usual.

After the first check came:
    Quit my job (at least take a leave of absence and go part time - I do like what I do...)

Pay for my family to come out to my wedding (but I'd still keep the current plans - I include FI's family in the 'my family' umbrella)

Pay off / Sell my current home

Get a nice chunk of land and build my dream home

Give some of it to family and friends - those that aren't finished with school would first have to complete college (which I would pay for) and work in the real world so they know the true value of money and just don't blow it all.  If they opted not to go to college, they'd have to wait longer to get at the funds.

Buy a custom RV type thing so my dogs (and other pets) can come on vacations with us!

I'd actually like to set up a charity to help those who have pets with cancer.  I lost my first dog to a terminal cancer and I know how much those bills piled up.  There's a lot that's not looked at besides just surgeries and potential chemo - there's the day-to-day medicines, special diets, holistic treatments, etc etc etc.  Even if it's just helping get the animal a better food, it all adds up and can help out!

I know FI would like to start his own small business as well.

Anniversary
    • Pay off all our debts
    • Drop down to part-time at my job. ( i like it too much to quit) Maybe just work a couple days a week.
    • Buy a nice house
    • Buy ourselves nice cars
    • Pay off our parent's debts
    • Pay off my sister and brother-in-law's debts
    • Book a fancy-shmancy honeymoon and vacation for the next year
    • Invest some
    • Up our wedding budget
    • Donate some to charity's and hospitals
    • Travel!!!!!!
    Anniversary

• Oh, I would also buy a jellyfish tank and an octopus.
    Anniversary

• I would...

• Quit my job.
    • Pay off FI's student loans.
    • Put aside money for the wedding.
    • Buy a house.
    • Rescue a horse or a wild Mustang.
    • Get a house with a barn or very close to a horse barn.
    • Help horse rescues.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Oh, I would also buy a jellyfish tank and an octopus.
    I want a jellyfish tank so badly!!

FI just rolled his eyes, and asked me where I would find space with the dogs, chickens, and goats that I want to own.  Whatevs, I can dream.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Call #1: Lawyer.
    Call #2: Accountant.
    Call #3: Sallie Mae. (I hate that fucking bitch.)

After that's taken care of, I'd buy THIS island (LINK)

And, since a house in Maine needs to be balanced with a house in Aruba, THIS.

Give a lot of money to cancer research - probably St. Jude's, and the Maine Breast Cancer Coalition. Also, Camp Sunshine in Maine.

Buy my parents BOTH new vehicles, because they need them, badly.

Buy season tickets to the Red Sox & Patriots, because, duh. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I honestly never buy lotto tickets. It just seems like such a waste of money to me. H almost always buys a ticket for the big pots though, so I guess we even each other out. If I won through H we would probably:

• Pay off all our debt (we're almost there already - 1 more year)
    • Have H quit his job and open his own business
    • Go on a big family vacation
    • Purchase a house & start a family

I really wouldn't want to do much more than that because so many people that win big jackpots end up bankrupt. I'd hope we'd be smart and save/invest most of it for our future.

• I've never bought a lottery ticket,no really reason though I just haven't.

If I were to play and win I would:
    * Pay BF's student loans
    * Pay for my brother's college
    * Pay off my parents' mortgage
    * Buy land to build the cabin BF and I have always wanted
    * Eventually design/build my own house (not sure where BF and I want to live so I wouldn't do that immediately)
    * Have exactly the wedding I want then a kick-ass honeymoon in New Zealand and Australia
    * Definitely would plan on saving a lot of it and just living a pretty normal life

• @swazzle can I hang out in the NEY sister-wives winery????

I'm not sure if I would quit my job right away.  I'd pay off the mortgage on the house and the condo. Buy a new car for FI, I'd buy a new mercedes for me :-)

We would definitely add a lot more special things to the wedding. 

We would also do a lot more traveling.  I'd consider buying an apartment in Paris.

I'd have a child and consider adopting another from China..  I love my home so much I'm not sure I'd want to move or upgrade either. 

Definite plans on donating to arts funding and local animal shelters, perhaps setting up foundations.  I'd like to be able to help out friends/family if needed too.

Anniversary

• - Pay off BF's student loans
    - Buy new cars for both of us, and for our parents
    - Go HOUSE SHOPPING! No idea where though - probably Long Island or northern NJ. 
    - Take all my family and best friends on an awesome vacation.
    - Get another dog so Kaya can have a full-time friend
    - Hire a chef/nutritionist to make me delicious low-calorie meals so that I can diet without thinking about it
    - Buy a horse, duh

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would,

Pay off FI's debt

buy land a build a dream house and buy a few horses and build a state of the art barn with a heated tack room and gorgeous indoor arena

travel to all the places we dream of going

invest some so that we can live comfortably

have a gorgeous wedding.

Anniversary
  • Swazzle said:
    @Peaseblossom55 - OF COURSE!

Yay!!!!! One of these I will meet you all!!!

Anniversary

• I'm off to Cat Island, where I shall cover myself in catnip, sit down, and wait for the kitties.

After I get tired of that, I'm buying a modest house, quitting my job, perhaps going back to school to be a professional student, and investing the rest.
  • In short, I would buy ALL.THE.THINGS.

And travel.

And buy all the pretties.

And travel.

And visit youbitches.

And be rich.
  • I would buy a couple vacation homes, and maybe a big fat brownstone in the Gold Coast.

I would then host lots of G2G at said homes.

I'd quit schlepping medical devices.

I'd open a fab boutique with all the clothes and shoes, so I could play dress up every single day.

I'd buy my parents a house, and actually give them something to retire off of.

photo bridalparty.jpg
  • I would:

- Go in on NEYnery, for the love of my sister-wives
    - Move to Boston ASAP and go to school
    - Quit my job and go straight to volunteering, or working for no pay at a different place
    - Buy a horse
    - Pay off student loans
    - Set my mom up with a nice monthly allowance
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • It's up to $636 million!!!!!

• edited December 2013
    I would for sure buy a farm and a million horses. 

Okay, maybe not a million, but at least two or three.

This place, please: LINK

*******************************************************************************************

• I changed my mind. I'm going to keep some life here in NY. I'll take this one instead. Mostly because it's closer to drunken brunches with @swazzle, @hummingbird125, and @buddysmom80.

• Swazzle said:
    It's up to $636 million!!!!!
    All right, that's it. I'm getting a ticket tonight. No more dreaming, I'm making this shit real.
  • So, I don't play. It just never occurs to me to buy a ticket, but damn, $636 million is pretty tempting!

If I won, I would (approximately in this order):
    -Pee myself
    -Pay off mortgages for Mom and Dad and the brothers
    -Probably pay the mortgages for all the rest of my aunts and uncles too, just 'cause
    -Buy myself a nice house near a beach somewhere, and have an awesome time decorating, especially since I will have a library!
    -Finish nursing school with the relief that I don't have to stress about tuition or books anymore, just because I could, and then go to grad school for something slightly different (maybe Genetic Counseling, or Pathology Assistant, or something still vaguely healthcare related but not necessarily "nurse-y," ya know?)
    -Get alllllll the massages and facials and fancy haircuts, and go shopping whenever
    -Check off everything on my travel list - first one would definitely be Italy
    -Take as many dance, music, and theater classes as I could, just because I enjoy those things and the people who do them well
    -Have plenty of awesome G2Gs with various friends
    -Invest a good portion, and use the earnings from that as well as my leftovers to fund a scholarship and/or sizable repeat donations to a few different charities I support
  • Oh yeah, I'd totally donate a shit ton of it to charity. I'm not a very charitable person, to be honest, but there is no way in hell I will ever (responsibly) spend that much money, so it just makes sense to get rid of some of it in a good way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Here in Canada, the 6/49 lottery was 40 million, won by a retired guy in Calgary, Alberta, who GAVE IT ALL AWAY
  • Honestly, I could never give it ALL away. 

Sorry not sorry. 

• Round 1 
    Quit my job
    buy a house in Phoenix
    buy a house in Richmond
    buy new cars (not NEW but new to us)
    pay off my sister's house
    buy my parents a house (or two... one in Richmond, a condo in Rochester)

Round 2 
    Pay off my student loans
    pay off the credit cards
    take a trip to Germany
    take a trip to Bora Bora
    Start a trust fund for our niece and nephew

Round 3
    Start using fertility meds/get IVF
    Set aside $ for our aunts, uncles and cousins
    Put ~$200 million in the bank so we can live off the interest
    Become part of a private jet co-op (we don't need to own our own jet)

Round 4
    Pay someone to be my personal shopper and buy a whole new wardrobe
    Get a personal trainer
    Run a marathon
    Do an olympic triathlon
    Volunteer at habitat for humanity
    Give to/work at charities that encourage girls to dream big
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• @cu97tiger - I love that you're being smart about your money and just doing a jet timeshare. I'm stealing that plan for when I inevitably win!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards