Moms and Maids
Options

mob as moh dress question

My mom is going to be my moh. My question is what to do about her dress. This is my second wedding, his first, so we are having a big todo. The other attendants are also 30+, but I still want the dresses to be classy, not motherly. Any suggestions?

Re: mob as moh dress question

• Options
    My mom is going to be my moh. My question is what to do about her dress. This is my second wedding, his first, so we are having a big todo. The other attendants are also 30+, but I still want the dresses to be classy, not motherly. Any suggestions?

Since your mom is the MOH, she can wear a different dress than the BMs without it coming off too odd.  I would let your mom pick out a dress in your color that she loves and then have the BMs get their own dress.  She is MOH, but also the MOB, so I would allow her to wear what she wants.  I think its great that you're having your mom as MOH!  Just follow her lead on what she would be comfortable wearing.
  • Options
    You could choose a colour (and perhaps fabric and length or whatever) from David's Bridal or Alfred Angelo and let the BMs and your mom/MOH choose their own dresses.
  • Options
    The way to refrain from "motherly" type dresses is to stay far, far away from the MOB section in bridal stores.

I think your best bet is to pick a color, a fabric, a length, and maybe even a designer and let your bridal party, including your Mom, pick a dress that they love.

• Options
    The way to refrain from "motherly" type dresses is to stay far, far away from the MOB section in bridal stores.

I think your best bet is to pick a color, a fabric, a length, and maybe even a designer and let your bridal party, including your Mom, pick a dress that they love.

This.  If she doesn't want to look "motherly" you should be checking out the long bridesmaid dresses rather than the MOB dresses in the stores.  That is what my mom wound up doing - she is 60 but looks at least 10 years younger and is in great shape...every store she went into was like "literally there is not one MOB-specific dress that will fit or look reasonable on you."  In my opinion, MOB dresses are all way too dowdy for most MOBs these days.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. When I took my Mom shopping for her dress she didn't want one of the typical MOB dresses because they made her feel old. We found a BM dress from David's Bridal with a more conservative neckline and added a 3/4" chiffon bolero made of the same material. She was both comfortable and looked beautiful.
  • Options

You're a real sweetie. Your mom is very lucky!
  • Options
    Also look in department stores. My mom hated the MOB dresses at the bridal salons. She found some hot dresses that look great on her 60 y/o self at Bloomingdale's though. The same dresses she tried on would look great on a 30 y/o too. Although matching with the other BMs is not needed, you can easily find a designer at major department stores with coordinated styles and color schemes.
  • Options
    have your mom wear a different dress than your bridesmaids.  and/or I always like the you pick a color they pick a style suggestion as well. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies. My thing is me and mom have TOTALLY different tastes. She is short and thick....5'2 and 160. She won't wear heels, only pumps. The dresses I've looked at are all long, but I'm afraid that zhe won't look good, I.e. won't be comfortable. AHHH...I am really not liking this planning another wedding...and he bas no opinion other than he wants a big wedding. AHHH... all better now...lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards