Wedding Woes

HELP! FAMILY ISSSUES!

I booked a reception hall for our wedding on Feb. 21, 2014. Yes a little over budget but we were ok with it. My dad and his family likes to have control of everything, He is only paying 1/3 of the wedding, but he calls me and tells me the day after Christmas that the place we booked is too expensive, there is a mardi gras parade that night  so no one will make it there, its too far and coming up with excuses for me to change the venue. I really like the place everyone over at the venue knows me but my fiancé and I are also paying for 1/3 of the wedding and Im scared if I don't change it my dad will come to me and say Im not paying then. I really have no idea what to do! My fiancé is telling don't change it but we cant afford any more then what we are paying. PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE! 

Re: HELP! FAMILY ISSSUES!

• Pay for everything yourself and you won't have to take shit from anyone.

• You need to plan your wedding as if he isn't giving you any money.

You'll have to cut back on something - reduce the guest list, change the venue, DIY flowers/music/food/cake, cancel the limo, etc.

One way to be able to have everything you want for your wedding is to push it back until you can save the money for it all.
  • you said that the venue is over budget, but whose budget is it over? if it is more money than anyone is willing to pay, then you probably should either look into a different venue, cut back on what you're booking, or look into paying for it yourself entirely. and if you cannot afford this venue on your own, it sounds like you might have to switch to a different place.

if you are scared dad will take his money back if you don't change it, then you need to have a plan B in place. time to be a grown up about this.

sorry, but if dad wants to have a say in how his money gets spent, then i suggest you either give some attention to his opinion or you let him know he doesn't have to contribute anything because you're willing to pay for this yourself.

• I booked a reception hall for our wedding on Feb. 21, 2014. Yes a little over budget but we were ok with it. My dad and his family likes to have control of everything, He is only paying 1/3 of the wedding, but he calls me and tells me the day after Christmas that the place we booked is too expensive, there is a mardi gras parade that night  so no one will make it there, its too far and coming up with excuses for me to change the venue. I really like the place everyone over at the venue knows me but my fiancé and I are also paying for 1/3 of the wedding and Im scared if I don't change it my dad will come to me and say Im not paying then. I really have no idea what to do! My fiancé is telling don't change it but we cant afford any more then what we are paying. PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE! 
    Are you in New Orleans?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards