California-Los Angeles

Pre-Marital Counseling

Does anyone have pre-marital counselor recommendations that are not religiously affiliated that you meet in-person?

Re: Pre-Marital Counseling

• I should also clarify - I'm looking for someone we can discuss goals with, finances (the big one), communication, raising kids, etc. I want someone to give us guidelines about what we should be thinking about and researching, such as "will you combine checking accounts" and questions of that sort. I don't know all the questions we should be asking ourselves.
  • I recommend the Gottman workshops. They are not pre-marital per se, but they are excellent workshops that focus on helping you learn how to repair arguments and build strong relationships. Using methods you learn in the workshop, you can pretty much handle any issues that come your way. My fiancée and I took it and it is enormously helpful in helping with conflicts.

The next workshop in SoCal is in March.

http://www.gottman.com/events/couples-workshop-newport-beach-ca/

If you want to know more, check out books by John Gottman. He's written 8+ on how and why marriages succeed or fail.

• Great advice, thank you... the fiancé and I are looking for premarital counseling as well.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards