Attire & Accessories Forum

Help! Altering a 100 year old dress

My mother has saved the dress she wore back in the 70s, which was worn in her family dating back to 1910. She had it preserved back in the late 90s and we just opened it up, as I am visiting for the holidays (I live across the country, so this is my one opportunity to try it on), and The sleeves are too tight for for me to try the dress on properly. It's obviously too small, but we wanted to see if it were possible to install a corset panel or something to enable me to wear it for the ceremony. I've called around in her small town, and no one has worked on anything this old. Only one person agreed to even look at it. We could take it to the large urban center close by, but I have looked on yelp and none of the reviews mention anything so old. Only one mentioned vintage clothing, but this is beyond vintage. It's an antique, really. It's very delicate. The lace ripped a bit when I attempted to try it on, and the satin is very thin. I tried not to get my hopes up. I even bought a $200 back up dress, but it seems a shame to just stick it back in my mom's attic and never do anything with it. I'm not comfortable cutting it up to use in a veil, either. Anyone out there have any knowledge, suggestions about this?

Re: Help! Altering a 100 year old dress

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    A dress that is 100 years old is made of silk.  Silk ages over years, and becomes brittle.  It is an organic material.  I do not recommend making any major alterations.  It would be OK to wear it if it actually fit you, but to try to make it larger will just result in ruining the dress.  It was likely worn with an old fashioned corset to make the waist smaller.  Modern figures don't often fit these dresses because of that custom.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Yes, you're right. I believe it is silk. It's so sad. I'm not sure what to do with it.
  • can you have them alter it into something you can use for your wedding maybe cut fabric out of the dress to wrap around your flowers make a ringbear pillow out of it cut a little square or circle of it and sew it into your dress so you can have your something old.

here is another idea, what about bringing the dress to a dressmaker and seeing if she can  make a replica of the dress using the same kind of material that was used on your grandmas dress. but have her make the dress a little more modern looking. it wont be the exact dress that was worn by many in your family but it will be a replica of it
  • As I said, I'm not willing to cut the dress up. I've been thinking (since yesterday) of maybe having it preserved in a display box and having it on view for the wedding.
  • what about doing a photo season with you and your fiance\? you wear the dress he gets dressed up in a nice suite and have some photos done a pre wedding photo shoot you would still get to honor the dress i know you said the dress did not fit you well maybe you can have some of it semi altered to fit you just for the photo shoot
  • I have an old gown I found in a consignment shop that was originally worn in 1940 (Also worn for a 25 year anniversary- damn, this chick certainly watched her figure XD), and while it's a lovely decoration, I'd be terrified to wear it, I can feel how brittle the material is and it would definitely rip within minutes.  And my gown isn't as old as yours, I imagine yours must be even more delicate.  
    I think it's time to retire it from being a gown you wear, and I think your idea for a display box is great, you can hang it up somewhere in your home after the wedding so it's not just sitting in your mother's attic.  
    I definitely would not alter it or wear it though.  You have to remember, the material on that gown is 100 years old, so no matter what material a seamstress tries to use to add panels, that material is never going to perfectly match the original material because it's going to be a patch of brand new fabric right next to a bunch of 100 year old silk. Any additions you make will be obvious.  You also risk having the seamstress completely ruin the gown since it's so delicate, and as you've found out from looking around, not many people have enough experience to feel comfortable working with such an old gown.  
  • @Blergbot-if you do decide to put it into a shadowbox, you can PM me for info, I worked in the custom framing business for 5 years, plus did my own framing for 30 years.
  • i think the framing is your best option. Its just too old for alterations and I wouldnt want to cut it up either. PP about wearing it for a photo -shoot. If it doesn't fit it doesn't fit no matter where you wear it. Id still do a shoot thought but instead of wearing it hold it up to yourself. Also hold it in your hands while you looking at it ect. it would be a good way to honor such a sentimental piece
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards