Attire & Accessories Forum

Chapel train dress for an outdoors ceremony?

heidydesignerheidydesigner member
First Comment
edited December 2013 in Attire & Accessories Forum
Hi everyone,
I wanted to know what were your thoughts on having a chapel train wedding dress for an outdoors wedding ceremony, also is silk shantung taffeta an appropriate fabric for a summer outdoors ceremony? Wedding is in Ireland, in an Golf Club/Country house, the weather is always a bit chilly over there so I'm not worried about being too hot. It's a Romona Keveza, Legends, I absolutely love the dress, I got an amazing deal! Let me know what you think.

p.s: I was thinking on wearing it without the lace bolero.

Re: Chapel train dress for an outdoors ceremony?

• I wouldn't side eye it or anything.  The only thing is that your dress might get a little dirty.
  • You can always bustle it after the ceremony. I think the dress is much prettier without the bolero, I hate the sleeves. 
  • Definitely ditch the bolero.  That dress is simple and elegant -- nice choice!

Your dress will get a little dirty around the hem (train especially) during an outdoor wedding, but it's really nothing to get too worried about.  I spent about 2 hours walking around outside doing pictures before my ceremony and you can't tell in the ceremony pictures that my dress is dirty at all -- but if you looked at it closely in person, you'd notice some discoloration. 
  • When doing the bustle, consider doing a ballroom bustle. The reason is, that type of bustle tucks under the dress. instead of buttoning up on your butt like a traditional bustle. The perk of doing he underneath bustle is if your underpart of your dress gets dirty during the ceremony, no one will see it at the reception (or in the photos).
  • Thanks everyone! I see plenty of outdoors ceremonies in long dresses and this train is not that long, is more like a court/sweep train... Is not as shiny as it looks in the picture but it catches the light very well. I'm definitely not wearing the bolero, they styled it like that in the catalogs but it looks very retro! The dress has a nice ruching detail in the back, is not much but it really makes the dress more interesting. I'm also wearing no veil, just a headpiece. Thanks everyone for your honest advices! I was more concerned about looking ridiculous with a long dress in the garden lol I thought I could always resell it if it didn't make any sense! 

• Erikan73 said:
    When doing the bustle, consider doing a ballroom bustle. The reason is, that type of bustle tucks under the dress. instead of buttoning up on your butt like a traditional bustle. The perk of doing he underneath bustle is if your underpart of your dress gets dirty during the ceremony, no one will see it at the reception (or in the photos). 

Thanks for the advice! I actually have a second dress for the reception so that should be ok, it's a 1950 style lace dress, very cute!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards