Wedding Party

Advice? Six in one hand, half a dozen on the other

My fiancee and I have been asked for a second time to invite one family of three to the wedding. Although I have met this family a couple of times over the years, this family, as nice as they seem, are definitely friends of the brother-in-law family.

I have hesitated to give an answer because we were waiting to get the list of guests the parents want to invite, and have watched the list grow at an alarming rate. However, now that the list has stopped growing, I am still hesitant to give an answer as I get antsy when friends are referred to "being like family." Just how does one measure the worth of that comment? Should I be grateful a request was made, this family attended the birthday of the future husband because the brother in laws invited them, not us. Since my fiance brought up the incident, I know this still bothers him.

If we invite, I know this will bother the fiancee, but if we do not, I wonder how the brother in law and his wife will react. A response will have to made as we will be mailing invitations in two weeks, but gut reaction is just confusion.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Advice? Six in one hand, half a dozen on the other

• Screw that. If your FI does not want to invite them, don't invite them. This is your wedding, not your BIL's dinner party.

Anniversary
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    You barely know them. Why should you need to invite them?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Fourth vote for no. They may be 'like family' to your BIL's family, but they clearly aren't to you, so don't invite them.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Wow. I did not expect such a quick response. Thanks for the practical advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards