Chit Chat
Options

The Send Off

what did you do or are you planning to do for the send off from the reception? We found this water-soluble faux snow that looks very pretty and floats very well when tossed, but are considering doing sparklers instead as it will be dark when we leave.  May do both just to mix it up... what did/will you do? 

Re: The Send Off

• Options
    We were planning to have our guests ring bells as we leave, but budget constraints might put the bells out of reach. We probably won't do anything if we can't get the bells.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    We didn't have a sendoff after our reception, but we gave Yay flags (LINK) to people to wave. I didn't know if people would like them, but they were a huge hit.
  • Options
    We couldn't have sparklers so we had glow sticks.
  • Options

Check with your venue first to see if there are any requirements that you must follow.

We didn't do a send off, our reception ended at midnight and most people were gone by then.  But we didn't plan to have one anyway.

• Options
    We didn't have one, we were the last to leave! There's something about it that really rubs me the wrong way about big exits, like you guests have to roll out the red carpet for you to leave. 

OP, I would check and make sure that the fake snow isn't flammable next to sparklers.
  • Options
    We aren't planning on a dramatic send-off. Instead, we are taking a party bus to the bars to keep the party going. 
  • Options
    I don't believe we will be doing any sort of send off.  Since we are staying at a hotel right down the street (literally a block from our venue) we plan on staying until clean up time and hanging out with our family and guests until as long as possible.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    We didn't have one, other than the announcement that we were losing amplified music and to head on down to the restaurant below for karaoke.  From there, we just left when we were getting tired.  

• Options
    We're not planning on having one.
  • Options
    I've heard too many horror stories about sparkler injuries to be on board with that.
    My venue says we can't throw stuff (unless it's confetti that dissolves in the rain)... I'm leaning towards bubbles at the moment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Did have one.  We were on the last shuttle back to the hotel.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    ElcaB said:
    We aren't planning on a dramatic send-off. Instead, we are taking a party bus to the bars to keep the party going. 

Heck yeah! Thats what we are doing too!!
  • Options
    We had bubbles as we left the church, but nothing as we left the reception.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I'm not doing one either - I figure I'll be needed to help clean up.  Besides, I don't want to limit myself.  If the party is going well, I don't want to leave too early. 

• Options
    We invited our guests outside to wave as we departed in our get-away car, but they weren't given anything to toss/wave (other than their hands) -- tossing of things was forbidden by my venue, anyhow.
  • Options
    Our reception ends at 10, so we'll have one. Pretty much she said she has everyone make a tunnel and blow bubbles and we get into the car at the winery and they drive us down to our place we are staying.
    I think it'll be fun to have a receiving line and get to say goodbye to everyone!
  • Options
    GrrArgh said:
    what did you do or are you planning to do for the send off from the reception? We found this water-soluble faux snow that looks very pretty and floats very well when tossed, but are considering doing sparklers instead as it will be dark when we leave.  May do both just to mix it up... what did/will you do? 
    We didn't have a send off.  We stayed till the very end and loaded up the car.  We liked being able to have a few more moments with all the guests as they came up to say goodbye when they were leaving.
  • Options
    GrrArghGrrArgh member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2013
    We're actually considering using the snow indoors, the ceremony and reception are in the same place, so we may have the snow throw as we come back down the aisle at the end of the exchange. Would make for some pretty pictures if nothing else and a much less complicated departure later. 
  • Options
    The people outside threw birdseed, and the people inside blew bubbles.

I hate sparklers, especially if there are children at the wedding (and I'm a big proponent of kids at weddings).  My cousin had sparklers.  There was tons and tons of smoke from the sparklers, and it smelled horrible.  And then there were these certain kids who ran around and grabbed all the extras and lit them off other people's sparklers and waved them around.  I was afraid they were going to catch somebody on fire.  (I judge the parents, they should have been controlling their kids.)

Also, it's really hard to get the sparklers all lit.  They had three or four people with lighters at my cousin's wedding and it still wasn't enough.  Some people's had burned most of the way down while others still weren't lit yet. 
  • Options
    We're not having one at the reception. We're having bubbles after the receiving line though.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    If you're going to do sparklers, make sure you think through how you're going to have people light them. At my sister's wedding, we had the DJ announce that everyone should take the tea lights off of their tables outside to light the sparklers, but that was a spur of the moment, crap, how are we going to light all of these? idea from the groom's mom.
  • Options
    We didn't do a send off, mostly because we had such a small group (20 guests). In the end I'm glad we didn't do one because our reception ended more than an hour later than planned (the party was still going) and it was *extremely* cold and drizzly and an exit would have been forced and uncomfortable for our guests at that point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards