Registry and Gift Forum

cashier's check wont deposit?

After our wedding my husband and I went our separate directions due to our work and he took all the checks/cash to deposit. There is one check that won't deposit for some reason. It is a cashier's check, but our online banking system won't accept it. We thought we could hold on to it until Christmas when we would be together and I could try with my check deposit aps, but to no avail. It is now 3 months after our wedding and we have a cashier's check we can't cash...any ideas on what to do?

Re: cashier's check wont deposit?

• Just take it to an actual bank.
  • Doing online & photo deposits doesn't always work.  Take it to a bank and they should be able to do it.

• It's been 3 months and you haven't been able to take it to a bank?
  • It's been 3 months and you haven't been able to take it to a bank?
    That would be my question too!
  • he just recently brought it to me (since we have to live apart due to work) and i was hoping my software would deposit it more easily. the hard part about bringing it to a local bank beside the fees is that to deposit checks via apps we had to write "deposit only to OUR BANK account #####" on the back of it. All the other checks deposited, and the one cashiers check didn't and now we have that slogan written on the back. Might go take it somewhere tomorrow to see what they say if they can still accept it with the written on it.
  • Don't you have a branch of your bank that is brick and mortar?
  • kmmssg said:
    Don't you have a branch of your bank that is brick and mortar?
    Ditto.  Have you even just tried CALLING the bank? 
  • WTF? Go to the bank. Or call them and ask what to do. Or see if the answer is on their website. You're making this harder than it is.
  • RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
  • Options:

1. Take it to the bank it was drawn on. The back won't matter. A cashier's check is guarantees funds.

2. Don't wait too long! in the USA, personal checks are void after 6 months/180 days; the cashier's check probably has an expiry, too.

3. If the check is made out to:

a. You AND your husband, it may only be deposited into an acct with both names; or may only be drawn by both of you together.

b. If it says "or", then either of you can do it.Make sure that the name on the check matches the name on the acct, or your IDs.

Good Luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You have fees to deposit a check?
  • Most banks charge a fee to cash a check, if the bank at which you are doing it is one where you don't have an account.  I'm not sure if it's typical for a fee to be charged if you try to cash a check at the bank the check was drawn on, but definitely if it's just a random bank.

Many people now have their accounts at online banks, where they receive higher interest rates, and thus have no local branch.
  • Most banks charge a fee to cash a check, if the bank at which you are doing it is one where you don't have an account.  I'm not sure if it's typical for a fee to be charged if you try to cash a check at the bank the check was drawn on, but definitely if it's just a random bank.

Many people now have their accounts at online banks, where they receive higher interest rates, and thus have no local branch.
    You usually can mail the check to the online bank though. Is this not a possibility?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards