Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

How a friend becomes ordained?

We are asking a close friend of ours to become ordained and marry us. Does anyone recommend a good online program that they have possibly used before? Thanks! 

Re: How a friend becomes ordained?

• First check with the area you are getting married in to see what is required of your officiant. Some places say that the officiant must have a congregation to be able to marry people (or something of that nature).

We had our friend marry us.  I believe he went through Universal Life Church to get ordained.  I think it took him a big 30 minutes and then a few days later he received a card and a certificate.

• I think it's different depending on where you are getting married. We are having a friend marry us as well and I found the information I needed on our county clerk's page on the city government web site. You can also call the county clerk's office and they should be able to tell you. 
  • I got ordained just on a whim through the Universal Life church but where I live (BC) I can't marry anyone since I don't have an active congregation, or something like that.
    It depends mostly on the state you live in.

• mimiphin said:
    I got ordained just on a whim through the Universal Life church but where I live (BC) I can't marry anyone since I don't have an active congregation, or something like that.
    It depends mostly on the state you live in.
    This. Be careful where you live. We wanted to have my FI's great-aunt marry us since she's ordained through the Universal Life Church, but if she marries us, our marriage won't be recognized in PA for the reason stated above. However, in PA you can get a self-uniting marriage license, so she's doing a beautiful ceremony for us as a celebrant, but we're incorporating the elements we need for a self-uniting marriage license. Good luck!
  • huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2014
    You need to check your state laws. In MA you just have to fill out a form and pay like 25 dollars and send it to the governors office, and the person you named gets a certificate and the ability to marry only you and your FI and on that specific date you named.

• If you live in Florida, South Carolina and Maine your friend can get a notary license and marry you.

We live in SC and family friend of my fiance is getting his notary license and will be marrying us.

I am a notary and I have performed 2 weddings.
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We are having my Aunt marry us, but I had to email the county auditors office first to check and see if they needed a letter of good standing or anything from the Universal Life Church (they don't). Just check your state (and county if applicable) laws.
    Anniversary
  • Thank you! This really helps!!
  • laurynm84 said:
    Check this website: http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/ 
    Great site! Thanks for sharing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Make sure to check with your municipality to see if there is any paperwork your officiant will need to submit along with your license to prove they are ordained. Some places require a letter of good standing, which can easily be ordered from any of the online ordination sites.
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards