Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Food Ideas..

We are having a NASCAR Themed reception.  I know most on here think this theme is "tacky" but NASCAR is what brought FI and I together and this one is mostly color schemed NASCAR.  Anyway I am wanting to do "track foods".  We haven't been to a race yet so I am having a hard time deciding on what to serve.  We are doing a buffet style reception, laid back nothing froo froo.  The idea of "Texas Motor Speedway BBQ" and "Martinsville Hotdogs" (for the kids) have come to mind. Other than those two items I cant think of anything else. We are expecting 40-50 people.  Any suggestions?

Re: Food Ideas..

• pulled pork and pulled chicken with mini rolls on the side so those who want to make a sandwich can,
    brisket with some sauce on top or on the side
    fried mac in cheese bites
    you want to have some veggies in there so maybe like summer sqaush onions and some mushrooms green beans with bacon in it
    baked beans
    instead of french fries you could do sweet potato fries to make it a little more fancy with like a really cool dipping sauce
    bbq ribs
    chili
    nachos
    you could do chicken tenders for the kids ( not all kids like hot dogs but i know they all like chicken tenders)
    cornbread
     not all of it you would find at the races but to me it says texas bbq
    when i go to the baseball games some food that comes to mind that i have seen at other sporting events

popcorn
    philly cheese steaks
    sausage and pepers
    garlic french fries- yankee stadium is famous for them and they are amazing
    hot dogs burgers chicken tenders
    nachos
    pizza

• Those are some great ideas!  I scoured pinterest last night and found you can make chicken wings in the oven.  I think the menu will be:

Chip Beef BBQ

Chicken wings

Nachos

hot dogs

pasta salad (cold)

green salad

That covers just about all the tastes and will be like a tailgate event.

• We are having a NASCAR Themed reception.  I know most on here think this theme is "tacky" but NASCAR is what brought FI and I together and this one is mostly color schemed NASCAR.  Anyway I am wanting to do "track foods".  We haven't been to a race yet so I am having a hard time deciding on what to serve.  We are doing a buffet style reception, laid back nothing froo froo.  The idea of "Texas Motor Speedway BBQ" and "Martinsville Hotdogs" (for the kids) have come to mind. Other than those two items I cant think of anything else. We are expecting 40-50 people.  Any suggestions?
    I'm not a fan of themes and weddings.  If someone wants to bring in a "theme", I think it's best if it's incorporated for a groom's cake.  

That said, I would just serve the foods you want to serve and not label them with Nascar references.
  • I am a fan of NASCAR but not of a NASCAR themed wedding.  I feel like it will get to childrens birthday party if not done right.  What colors are using? Black and White?  That can look really formal and may not go with the racing theme like you hoped.  If you keep the touches small you'll be fine.

As far as the menu is concerned.  Think, hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken sandwiches/tenders, french fries (i like the sweet potato fry idea!), popcorn, cotton candy?, pulled pork, salad, suateed veggies, fruit & veggie platter with dip, cheese and crakcers is always a fav. and such.

• My idea is to use black table cloths with a checkered flag runner, mason jars, and confetti sprinkled maybe.  I have scoured the internet and party ideas to make sure this is carried through with out looking like a child's party.  I am preparing all of the food myself.  I have been to catered weddings before and the food was subpar, dry and lacked in flavor.  Food is something that I take pride in.  The guest list will be somewhat small. We are inviting my family, friends, and mutual friends.  His family lives in WA and we are in TX so we are not expecting them to spend so much for travel/hotels etc. I am still trying to decide if I want to do a meal or just apps.  (FI has said I can do what ever I decide just to keep him informed.)  Wedding will be at 3:30 and reception starting around 4:00 or so.  The guests will be able to go into the reception hall and start eating while we take pictures with the photographer.  We are a very informal family.  I guess I am leaning more so to snacks now.  I don't want to over spend myself/time.  We will have a football game to go to the night before too (daughter will be twirling) so that eats at time decorating and cooking.
  • Do you really want to be cooking on your own wedding though?
  • I am impressed that you are doing the food yourself! I agree that some catered food can be subpar. If it gets to be too much, getting some thing catered by a bbq restaurant you already know and like might be an option.
  • I've spent a lot of time at race tracks and mostly it is stadium/cook-out food.  Burgers, hot dogs, fries, BBQ, etc.

Some tracks (like Martinsville) have their own things but think "tail gate" food if you want to do it this way.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • wait, Nascar brought you together but you've never been to a race? I'm confused. 

I think you should reevaluate ... this sounds like a kid's birthday party, not a wedding. 
    And, if people are traveling for this wedding, pulled pork on a potato bun isn't going to cut it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards