May 2014 Weddings

SHOCKED - the most stressful thing so far has been...

"Daryl thinks he's such a big man because he works in the warehouse.  Well, big deal.  I worked in a warehouse.  MEN'S Wearhouse."  

I can't talk about Men's Wearhouse without hearing Michael Scott's voice in my head.  That said, I finally found something that stressed me out during the planning process.  It was shopping for tuxes. I thought there were going to be an infinite number of options and there weren't.  Maybe it's just challenging because FI and the guys are going to be wearing gray tuxes and that limits it to two options.  But that wasn't even really the problem. 

I wanted the Vera Wang because it's more fitted, but the shade of gray was too close to the BM dresses for me - it made me nervous that they would all match.  So we picked the Calvin Klein tux and that was great.  It is a gorgeous color and it looks great on FI.  But the vests and ties really made me nervous.  There weren't half as many shades of colors and patterns as I thought there would be.  We ended up (tentatively) picking a plantinum vest and tie for the groom and black vest and tie for the groomsmen.  But the black seems really stark to me compared to the gray, so I've already decided I'm going back to the store and showing them this: http://tuxedo.menswearhouse.com/inspiredDetail.do?type=w&topic=PureRomance (the last picture of all of the guys is almost exactly what I want).

Sorry that was so long, I just needed to vent.  Why was that so stressful?  And what is stressing all of you girls out?  I hope it's not the tuxes.  

Re: SHOCKED - the most stressful thing so far has been...

• That's stressing me out, too! FI is soooo relaxed about it all and thinks he has so much time because it's just him and his BM, but I don't think he realizes how difficult it can be! We're also opting for grey/charcoal suits (three-piece, most likely), and I found the exact same issues you did. Plus, we tend to have fewer options here in Canada anyways, so that's adding to my stress. Ugh.

• I choose the Vera Wang grey ones!  We liked them better than the Calvin Klein, and since my ladies will be in navy blue that grey looks perfect with them. 

Also, no one says you have to have a [colored] vest with the tux.  I went into Men's Warehouse, told they I wanted the grey Vera Wang, no vest, no tie (we are giving the guys special ties, but to place a rental you need a tie so it's still in the order but 've told the guys not to wear it lol) and no shoes (guys are going to be wearing converse instead) and the guy was like "OK not a problem." I really hate vests - I just think it looks so 1980/1990s prom, especially if it's in a color to match the bridesmaids dress.  But that's just me heheehehe. 

The thing that stressed me out the most was the invitations - you can find my post about that on this board lol!

Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I could take or leave the vest, but FI has said that he wants one -- I think it makes him feel more dressed up haha. In any case, I'm not a fan of coloured vests, either, and we'll be going for the grey-on-grey look with the vest and jacket, and then a coloured tie. @ArtTeacher23 I haven't read your invite post yet, but I'll head over there now... Haha

• I started to talk to FI about their suits and he said "I'm not even thinking about that. We can go a couple weeks before and buy a suit." AHHHHH

That isn't even stressing me out though. I know I'll get him to go before then. Finding a DOC and table linens has been my most stressful.

• Haha mine does the same thing. I swear, he thinks he can find a suit wherever that will fit him perfectly and be the colour he wants it to be and not ridiculously expensive. Also, is it just me or are DOCs ridiculously expensive? I also find it funny that most will charge the same for day-of as they do for the full month before. I'm going to sync with our venue's Director of Events and see if they're willing/able to handle a lot of the day-of details so I can forgo a DOC.

• We've gone to one place so far... just to take a look at what they had. I described to the lady what shade of pink dresses we were having the girls in (since they claim they can match ANY color), and what she pulled was almost a dark purple! I freaked out! (not on her... when we got back to the car)... and he told me not to worry that we had PLENTY of time. So I'm with you @tammym1001 "AHHHHH!"

• Eek! Maybe she was colour-blind? Haha. That would terrify me! Your next experience will be better, I'm sure of it :)

• Haha mine does the same thing. I swear, he thinks he can find a suit wherever that will fit him perfectly and be the colour he wants it to be and not ridiculously expensive. Also, is it just me or are DOCs ridiculously expensive? I also find it funny that most will charge the same for day-of as they do for the full month before. I'm going to sync with our venue's Director of Events and see if they're willing/able to handle a lot of the day-of details so I can forgo a DOC.
    Yes they are ridiculously expensive. I had one lady quote me $1,500 for 6 hours. I'm like you can't be serious. I did find some more reasonably priced, but I can't find anyone I click with or that will get back to me in a timely manner. If you can't even get back to me to talk about me booking you then how are you going to communicate with me about the wedding? It's so frustrating. I'm thinking of just hiring someone I know who is organized and just make them lots of lists and pictures of what I want.
  • The last quote I got was $1200, and the majority around here start at $1000. I found one that starts at $500, but I'm wary of how experienced they are and how good of a job they'll do considering that they're clearly under-valuing their services when comparing to other DOCs in the area (even though I think that they're all overpriced anyway! Haha). My best friend is insisting on helping on day-of, but I feel guilty asking her to do anything for our wedding, even though she offered.

• @pumpkinsandturkeys - I'm just curious what area you're in. The one that was $1,500 was ridiculous for my area, but I'm in Northeast Ohio. Most of the other ones seem to be in the $500 range.
  • I'm near Toronto, ON (Canada), but those prices seem to be pretty standard for the whole province, unfortunately. I wish most started at $500!

• my biggest frustration-my groom....uggh..he's such a bridezilla... seriously.
  • My biggest stressor thus far was my ceremony venue. After sending in our final check about 2-3 weeks before the deadline (they require venue be paid in full 6 months before the event), I get a phone call from them stating I owe $200 more dollars. My contract states the price that I paid. There should not be any confusion. It says pay this much, I paid that much. The end, right? No. She demanded $200 more dollars from me and when I explained my contract, she said "Well, I know what the contract SAYS, but what it MEANS is $xxxx). I told her I would have to talk with my FI, to see what our next move would be. She became irate, threatening to cancel my event if I didn't pay her immediately. I asked for her supervisor's contact information and she refused to give it to me. A quick google search found his information. I called and emailed (but it was after normal business hours) and received an email + two phone calls before 9:00am the next day, agreeing to honor the terms of my contract. Obviously it's only $200 and I could easily pay it, but it very quickly became NOT about the money and more about the principle of the matter, you know?!

A local bakery did a very similar thing. It's $2.75 each for cupcakes if you purchase them for a wedding, but $0.75 each to purchase the EXACT same cupcakes for any other event. If they find out it's for a wedding, they upcharge you or cancel your order. We obviously are not buying from them. lol.

• klburke88klburke88 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    My FI and his groomsmen went to Men's Warehouse to pick out the tuxes on their own. I told him I wanted gray suit, gray vest, pink tie and he was cool with that. I got there at the end of their appointment as they are filling out paperwork and putting down deposits and I see a PINK vest laying on the table! I immediately said, "No, no way, that is awful, who put that there?!" They didn't have a gray vest that matched the suit perfectly, but we eventually found one that was close enough and I'm happy with it. Definitely had a panic attack in the middle of Men's Warehouse!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards