Moms and Maids

Thoughtful gift idea for my mom?

I am recently engaged. And my mom is paying for the wedding. I am trying to save costs as much as possible and help pay but my parents were kind enough to agree before my dad passed that my wedding would be paid. I feel thankful and sad at the same time. I don't know what to give my mom to show how thankful I am to have her. Any ideas?

Re: Thoughtful gift idea for my mom?

• edited November 2013
    What a lucky bride! Your happiness is the best return on their gift to you.

As a recent MOB, it doesn't seem to make much sense for the bride and groom to spend a lot of money on parents' gifts. The nicest gift you could give your mom  would be a heartfelt letter expressing how much their gift meant to you and your new husband. Include some childhood memories. Your mom will treasure that letter. Follow up later with a small wedding album or framed picture.

Other suggestions - a charm bracelet - you can add to it, in the future to mark milestones, a digital picture frame, a mother/daughter spa day before or after the wedding, tickets to an event for you, your new husband and your mom.

• A heartfelt letter where you say how thankful you are to have your mom. That's something that she can keep forever and refer to often.
  • It was silly, but in the midst of my wedding planning, I made my mom a tote bag that said mother of the bride (canvas tote from craft store and a printable iron on transfer) and I decorated it for her.

She LOVED it and used it for everything.

But I agree w/pp - a simple note goes a long way. At the rehearsal dinner, I gave her and my husband's mother handkerchiefs that said mother of the bride and mother of the groom, plus notes. They loved them. I got them at Hobby Lobby for $8ea, but you can find custom personalized ones online.
  • Another MOB here, ditto my friend MairePoppy.  There is nothing that would mean more to me than a heartfelt letter.
  • I am in the same boat I have no idea what to get my mother.. the letter sounds nice I love it but for my first mothers day I gave my mom a card saying how thankful I am for her for raising me into the woman I am today and the mother I am ... she said nothing to me about it and I had a a lot of thought and love put into it so I don't want to waste my time writing something she isn't going to care about or even save.. My mom isn't into jewelry either not into tote bags. I like the idea of giving them a nice big picture of my parents with me and my husband from the wedding but that is something that I have to give her after the wedding. 
  • If you're having a photographer at the wedding, you could "secretly" order or make a nice wedding album or scrapbook of the wedding. I plan to make one for both my parents (divorced) and one for my fiances' parents. I also like the digital photo album...perhaps with wedding photos uploaded to it before you give it to her?
  • I was thinking the same thing doing a photo album for my parents grandparents and my fiancé parents as well 
  • Photo Albums are a great idea.  Or putting together a wedding album for her too after the wedding photos come back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards