Wedding 911
Options

Gratuity!

I'm working on my wedding "budget" so we can better prepare and save and I've come across a slightly confusing problem. My venue covers food, drinks, ceremony, and reception for $8k but on our contract, they included a 20% Service charge. Should we consider that the "gratuity' or "tip" or should we still tip the customary 15%??? AHH! What's acceptable? Expected?

Re: Gratuity!

• Options
    The Service Charge usually offsets the hotel/caterer’s labor and administration costs, such as dishwashing, packing for your event, travel time to and from your event, ballroom/facility maintenance and so forth. But sometimes is does also include gratuity, I'd ask you venue to clarify. 
  • Options
    In every place I've encountered the Service Charge includes gratuity. If you're unsure, just ask. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ask your venue.  Most use the service charge as the grat, but that is not always the case.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
     Our venue included 18% gratuity on our bill. A lot of the time this is split between 'everyone' working the night of your reception. Setting aside a little extra to give to anyone who goes above your expectations is always a good idea. I'd definitely ask the venue, and also ask how exactly it's split among people, & decide what to do from there.

*J
  • Options
    My venue is charging us 22% gratuity and 7% sales tax.  If it is not explicitly stated as a gratuity then I would ask your venue.  You would technically not need to included extra gratuity if it is stated in the contract as such.  The only exception would be tipping the bartender and your vendors.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards