April 2014 Weddings

booze - Byob everything

Would it be wrong to cut cost down by making it byob. We have at max 180 and im freaking out. My fiance decided we can do byob. Buy only a keg and two bottles of wine and beer, alcohol and mixers are on them

Re: booze - Byob everything

• Host what you can afford.  BYOB or a potluck reception is rude.  You shouldn't ask your guests to bring their own food or drinks to a party.  If you can't afford alcohol then don't have it.  Or host what you can afford.  If you can only afford beer and wine, then host that.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Would it be wrong to cut cost down by making it byob. We have at max 180 and im freaking out. My fiance decided we can do byob. Buy only a keg and two bottles of wine and beer, alcohol and mixers are on them
    Please don't do this. As @50ShadesofMe said already: BYO anything weddings are rude. You should have the wedding you can afford to host. That means your guests should not have to pull out their wallets or bring anything.

There are a lot of options available to you in regards to hosting alcohol. You can have a limited host bar and only serve wine and beer; you can host beer, wine, and a signature drink that has hard alcohol in it; you can have a dry wedding. These are all perfectly acceptable options.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Yeah, don't do that. OK for a house party, not for a wedding. If cost is a concern, just do beer and wine.

• see my only options are cut the guest list that has already received the save the date or cut the booze cost - we will have a keg and 2 bottles of a red and moscato , then of course the reg. lemonade & tea. but the rest would be BYOB.

either cut the guest or cut the booze... were already so close to having a backyard redneck wedding.  its disappointing.

• ohmrs2014ohmrs2014 mod
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2013
    Just host what you can afford then, there is nothing wrong with that.  If a keg, and 2 bottles of wine and then lemonade and tea is all you can afford, then go for it.  If you wanted to offer more wine, if there is a Trader Joe's near you, they sell a line of wine called Three Buck Chuck.  Great wine and only three dollars a bottle.  Its so cheap and great tasting, we are giving those out as our favors.  And you never know, they might be able to ship to you.  Its worth a look.  

And btw, I wish I could have a casual backyard wedding and reception.  It would definitely help ease the stress.

ETA:  I just read online that Whole Foods sells a comparable wine called Three Wishes, also worth a look. 
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • see my only options are cut the guest list that has already received the save the date or cut the booze cost - we will have a keg and 2 bottles of a red and moscato , then of course the reg. lemonade & tea. but the rest would be BYOB.

either cut the guest or cut the booze... were already so close to having a backyard redneck wedding.  its disappointing.

Cut the booze. There are lots of ways to cut other costs for weddings as well. Check out the DIY/Budget board those ladies will be able to help you figure out where you can save money.
  • Yes, definitely cut the booze. BYOB is extremely rude. Also, 2 bottles of wine won't go very far with 180 people. There are only about 4 glasses of wine per bottle so that will only cover about 8 glasses of wine.
  • If you can afford enough kegs for 180 do that only. You can also not have any adult beverage, witch is totally ok. I would not advertise BYOB.
    1. There are those who will do it any way.
    2. It is strange/ rude to have the host say BYOB at a wedding.
  • If you can afford to get two kegs, then I would do that. It serves about 160 (for 2) and not everyone will be drinking. If there is someone that you are close with who you know is already getting a gift that they haven't purchased yet, you can ask for some wine for the reception. Some people may think that's rude, but if it's someone you know well, they will probably understand the stress you're under as well as your budget. You shouldn't overextend yourself. Good luck!

• SlothGoalsSlothGoals member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited January 2014

If you can afford to get two kegs, then I would do that. It serves about 160 (for 2) and not everyone will be drinking. If there is someone that you are close with who you know is already getting a gift that they haven't purchased yet, you can ask for some wine for the reception. Some people may think that's rude, but if it's someone you know well, they will probably understand the stress you're under as well as your budget. You shouldn't overextend yourself. Good luck!

@callengene this is not very good advice. You should never solicit gifts from people you are hosting. Weddings are technically not gift giving events; while yes they are nice to receive, no one is obligated to give you anything. The best thing to do would be to host the wedding you can afford, not ask people for handouts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards