September 2014 Weddings

Mailed the Save the Dates!

I dropped the StDs in the mail today and it makes everything seem so real! It has also triggered my first real wedding anxiety as (despite the fact that I double checked them) now I keep worrying that I've misspelled someone's name or messed up their street address somehow. Next up we're going to have a meeting with a potential officiant and select a musician for the ceremony. For now I'm off to distract myself with some bad TV!

Re: Mailed the Save the Dates!

• Woohoo!!

Funny that you're worried about a wrong address- I was actually so confident that I knew my MOH's address that I didn't double check with her and yup I got the wrong number hahaha woops!

Yay!

I mailed ours last Monday, and I was super nervous about people not receiving them but, luckily a bunch of people let me know they got it. I was also pissed because FI didn't tell me that one friend's has a new BF (they've been dating 3-4 months now) and he wasn't on the STD so luckily he called her and she knows he is invited.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm glad I'm not alone in being worried about the delivery! And FI has a co-worker with a new girlfriend that he didn't include on the StD. He just texted me at lunch with this info to ask if I'd already mailed them! :sigh: He'll just let the guy know in person. And I will make sure to double check everything like this before the actual invites go out.
  • Couggal12Couggal12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    I am going to do the same. All the single people I have right now, I'll double check to make sure their SO get invited if they start a new relationship. We have them budgeted but, just in case anything happens and we need to cut costs figured it was better to not give truly single folks a +1 on their STD.

• I think it's okay not to have both names on the STD, so long ad you have them on the invite. Am I wrong on this?
  • Couggal12Couggal12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    I *think* etiquette wise you're supposed to have both names on the STD if the couple is in a relationship. Now if that person is truly single, you don't have to put "And guest" but, if you are giving them a +1 on the invite you should indicate that. Otherwise, how is that person supposed to know their SO is invited? I could be wrong.

• I just assumed that since you do that on the invite, you do that on the StD. That way it's very clear who will be invited.
  • I got an address wrong & left someone off the StD list! So I covered it all! In my panic a friend reminded me StD aren't necessary & sometimes only go to close family or friends or OOT guests.   For the addresses, if the person is in a long term relationship I put both names. For my single friends, just their name. If they are in a relationship by the time invites go out, then it will change to probably the person's name instead of & guest. I've gotten invitations before when I was single addressed just to me & have had the bride contact me to say I got the rsvp, but you didn't include a guess. My response was, oh, didn't know I could bring someone. Everyone does it differently. 
  • I don't think there's a problem not including a SO you haven't met on a STD (sidebar - does anyone else read that as sexually transmitted disease? I was super confused when I first started seeing that, imagining people mailing each other chlamydia). What if they break up between STD's and invites (see how funny that is if you read it as sexually transmitted disease)? "Etiquette" would dictate that anyone who got a save the date should be invited, but obviously you're not going to invite someone's ex-fling. If they're still together when invitations go out, put them on the envelope. Don't stress about leaving them off. :) (FTR: I'm not giving a +1 to single guests. Sorry, families are too large to allow dates for everyone. We're at 275 as it is.)

And to second @HH2Be, I'm not sending STDs to every single person. Family and wedding party won't get one - they better remember the date without a postcard! Not sending to coworkers either, since I just started a new job and am still deciding whether to invite them all. Mostly friends and out of town extended family.

• Yeah, my mind also goes there when I see StD; I think that's why I lower case the t- makes it look a little less disease-y in my mind. :) Also, very good idea not to send them to people you're still on the fence about. I got a StD for an old friends wedding once but ended up not actually being invited (turns out her venue only allowed 50 people) and that was not a fun feeling. I would much rather it have been the other way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards