Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Would you like this?

The caterer we are close to signing with is an Italian restaurant that I am very familiar with. We're on a very strict budget but doing our best. Here's what I am thinking:

Open limited bar all night (we supply everything and we are hiring a licensed, insured bartender for the whole night)

Cocktail Hour
Pizza (trying to get caterer to do small pizzas so the slices are a few bites instead of a big mess - our caterer is well-known for their excellent pizza)

Dinner
Baked stuffed chicken (so yummy, I've had it a few times at other events)
Roast sirloin
Oven roasted potatoes
Veg (not chosen yet)
Pasta bar
Salad
Bread & butter

Dessert
Assorted desserts from the caterer
Cake

Do you think this will cut it? I am worried about not having enough variety during cocktail hour, but dinner is going to be served promptly following (cocktail hour approx. 4:35-5:35, dinner at 6:00) so I don't want to have too much food before dinner either...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Would you like this?

• You have meat, potatoes, pasta and bread so I would be a super happy camper!

As for the pizza, instead of them making them smaller what about having them cut the pizza into small squares rather then wedges?

Also, I would add in a veggie platter with dips and maybe some cheese and crackers and fruit for the cocktail hour.  That way you would have some variety but the pizza will still be the star of the show, so to speak.

• Good thinking on the squares!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As I often do,  I agree with @maggie0829

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • That sounds like a lot of food to me! I think the pizza in squares is a great idea, also if you have a variety of pizza toppings it will feel like you have more options.
  • Menu sounds tasty.  My only concern is you're only offering pizza for cocktail hour.  What about people who are gluten or lactose intolerant, or who may need to watch their carbs, such as diabetics?  Obviously, I don't know your crowd, but one thing I've learned around here is it's good to be mindful of various dietary issues.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    I'm on board!

ETA: This is a wedding where my picky self would actually eat everything available to me!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • can you add other options besides the pizza like cheese and crackers some veggie platters, do they make a gf pizza crust?

for deserts mini canolies, mini italian pastries mini cupcakes, maybe some italian cookies
  • Listen to Maggie and I am totally on board.
  • can you add other options besides the pizza like cheese and crackers some veggie platters, do they make a gf pizza crust?

for deserts mini canolies, mini italian pastries mini cupcakes, maybe some italian cookies

The caterer does a selection of yummy desserts, usually cake, brownies, cupcakes and one other.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you need a few more options for the cocktail hour

pizza is ok but if that's the only option, it seems kind of weird

• I can't eat gluten so I'd be hungry at cocktail hour. I would add a simple cheese/fruit/veggie platter at the least.
  • Looks yummy, but I agree about gluten free options at happy hour (unless you know all of your guests can eat gluten). As a gluten free person, I'd be happy with GF pizza or some cheese, fruit and veggies.
  • I would also have veggies and dip for cocktail hour.  Although I really like the idea of the pizza, I think you should offer another option that is a bit lighter.  

Do you have any vegan or vegetarian guests?  I think the pasta bar and veggie side would be ok, although it would be awesome if you could have a vegetarian option as well (maybe eggplant parm or a portabello mushroom "steak"--either would go well with the rest of your menu).  
  • Sounds good!  Definitely get the pizza in smaller, bite sizes.  If it were whole slices I'd probably eat a couple thinking that was dinner and then not eat the meal afterwards!  I'd also see if you can have a table with cheeses, crackers, etc.
  • Ditto Maggie on adding fruits and veggies during cocktail hour.  Your whole menu sounds absolutely delicious.  Hubby and I had pizza at our cocktail hour too, people still talk about it to this day.  Happy planning!
  • I will definitely see if we can add cheese/crackers and veggies/dip. FI's parents just offered to pay for our catering too, which was completely unexpected, so that eases mymind a bit - there were things we wanted to add but were worried about cost.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards