Chit Chat

Calender Guest Book

Does anyone think the calender 'guest book' idea where guests write on their birthdays is kind of lazy and making the guests 'do the work' instead of you figuring out whose birthday is when?

Re: Calender Guest Book

• I wouldn't want that as my guestbook, just because I wouldn't want to keep a calendar in my wedding box.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes. I blame Pinterest.

I like the calendar over the other current Pinterest trend of using your thumb prints in ink, because, oh yes, I totally want to get permanent ink anywhere near my nice clothes.

The calendar idea? Lazy. Also for.dumb -- are you then going to send them birthday cards? Because that's my impression.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I don't think it's lazy exactly, but I don't see the point.  I don't even bother to wish most people Happy Birthday on FB when it pops up in my events, but that's just me.  

• I can't say I'm crazy about the idea. I do think it's slightly lazy, and it does create the expectation of birthday cards for all your guests. Which is probably okay if you're having a small, intimate wedding of people you would normally send birthday cards to anyway. But if that's the case, you'd have their birthdays already, wouldn't you?

This is a WIP of what will be our guest book:image

It'll be printed up A3 or A2 (not sure yet) size and then our guests can write their wishes for us on it. I sort of stole the thumb print guest book and combined it with the wish tree and got this. After the wedding I'll have it mounted and framed to hang somewhere in our house.

It's the same image I'm using in all out stationery, I'm just using it in different ways on the different pieces. Our colours are a few shades of green + a navy-ish blue.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • I wouldn't say it's lazy (it's not in the same category for me as having shower guests address their own thank you card envelopes), but I agree with PPs who said it creates the expectation of birthday cards. If I didn't get a card from you, I'd be wondering why you felt you needed my birthday, then. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Yes. I blame Pinterest. I like the calendar over the other current Pinterest trend of using your thumb prints in ink, because, oh yes, I totally want to get permanent ink anywhere near my nice clothes. The calendar idea? Lazy. Also for.dumb -- are you then going to send them birthday cards? Because that's my impression.
    My friend who just got engaged was talking about doing the thumb print type guestbook it took all of my self-control not to roll my eyes. I love her dearly and she is the sweetest person alive but all her ideas just makes me think that her wedding will look like Pintrest threw up all over it.

I don't get the calendar guestbook at all.

• I wouldn't do the calendar thing only because of what the PPs said - it sets the expectation for some kind of birthday something for everyone and I'm terrible at remembering/doing birthday stuff for people. Birthdays just aren't my thing, I guess.

As for the fingerprint tree, I don't even care so much about getting my thumb dirty because there's usually wipes right there but I really don't like the idea of someone having one of my fingerprints! That's just too personal for me. I'm also annoyed at 24 hour fitness for wanting mine to check in at the gym.
  • I agree with others, it is lazy.  And if you don't send out birthday cards after that, its just silly.  It isn't as lazy as having people address their own thank you envelopes (which makes no sense to me, cause if they are at your wedding, you should have their address cause they got an invite), but still not a good idea.
    Anniversary
  • TBH my reason for not liking the idea is probably lazier than the idea itself-   As a guest I wouldn't really want to flip through it to find my birthday and sign it, especially since everyone before me would be doing the same thing and that would probably cause a line to form and make it take longer than it should.  
    As the bride, I'd really just prefer everyone's names all in one place, more or less like a list, rather than have a calendar with like 10 people on some pages and only 1 or 2 on others.  

And also, what happens when two guests have the same birthday?  Do they just have to share that little box?
  • I wouldn't do the signing their birthday thing. Maybe I could see a calendar where you have guests leave a note for the couple for each day for a year or something. That way you have a note a day to read after your wedding. That would be the only way I would probably use a calendar guestbook.
  • I wouldn't do the signing their birthday thing. Maybe I could see a calendar where you have guests leave a note for the couple for each day for a year or something. That way you have a note a day to read after your wedding. That would be the only way I would probably use a calendar guestbook.
    This wouldn't be a bad idea. I would just hope that people would have sense to spread it out so I didn't get a bunch in any one month and none is some months. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Guilty! 
    I don't think it's lazy and I don't plan to send out cards to everyone for their birthday. It just gives more space for people to not have their signatures bundled up on the first few pages of a traditional guest book, they are spaced out over the 12 months. My calendar will start with the month we wed and end on our 1 year anniversary. When I flip through the calendar on the wall after the wedding, I can remember each and every guest that was there to spend the day with us and feel the love all over again.
  • Yes. I blame Pinterest. I like the calendar over the other current Pinterest trend of using your thumb prints in ink, because, oh yes, I totally want to get permanent ink anywhere near my nice clothes. The calendar idea? Lazy. Also for.dumb -- are you then going to send them birthday cards? Because that's my impression.
    Totally agree. 
  • I send birthday cards to our nearest and dearest, so a calendar would be kind of redundant for us. I agree with others who wouldn't be into doing the thumb print. I'm a klutz, and there's no way I wouldn't accidentally get ink on something.
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards