Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Candles instead of bouquets for bridesmaids?

I love love love this idea. It will add to the ambiance I want! What are some cute ways to do it? Can I see your examples?

UPDATE : SINCE MOST OF YOU DIDNT SEE MY COMMENT ILL PUT IT UP TOP

The pastor of my church does allow it but he was looking at the stage when he said it so ill have to clarify the aisle to make sure but I wasnt planning on using real candles anyway on the aisle for safety reasons I have a lot of children who will attend. Im actually looking into white "Christmas" lights along the sides of the aisle with silk petals over them so it glows through. For the bridesmaids it would probably be led candles in a votive. Im going to try to find like maybe frosted ones? Something so that you cant necessarily see in them but they glow. See what I mean? Also my ceremony is at 1pm because the church isn't available later in the day but its indoors with dark shades so no sunlight will get in Im hoping. Do you think my ambiance will work? Ive always dreamed of a ceremony like this and an evening wedding is not possible. I think it will be a nice surprise for guests with a wow factor when they come in from daylight and step into my wedding ceremony location. Opinions Please?

Re: Candles instead of bouquets for bridesmaids?

• Maybe have them carry them im a lantern? It sounds nice but could be messy, especially indoors. You could also use thos wax catchers they use for candlight services, but I don't think they look "wedding"

Anniversary
  • Check to make sure your venue allows it. Our church specifically prohibits it.
  • It might look great, but it could be dangerous.  So I'd make sure the venue and the building code allow it.  And make sure the people carrying them aren't wearing anything flammable.
  • So we always held candles for sorority nonsense and it was kind of a pain in the butt to make sure you held the candle steady and didn't shift around too much or accidentally blow it out. And the wax catchers are not cute at all.

Does your venue allow it? Are you having an evening ceremony (candles in mid afternoon sun kind of defeats the dramatic purpose/effect, I think)?
  • The pastor of my church does allow it but he was looking at the stage when he said it so ill have to clarify the aisle to make sure but I wasnt planning on using real candles anyway on the aisle for safety reasons I have a lot of children who will attend. Im actually looking into white "Christmas" lights along the sides of the aisle with silk petals over them so it glows through. For the bridesmaids it would probably be led candles in a votive. Im going to try to find like maybe frosted ones? Something so that you cant necessarily see in them but they glow. See what I mean? Also my ceremony is at 1pm because the church isn't available later in the day but its indoors with dark shades so no sunlight will get in Im hoping. Do you think my ambiance will work? Ive always dreamed of a ceremony like this and an evening wedding is not possible. I think it will be a nice surprise for guests with a wow factor when they come in from daylight and step into my wedding ceremony location. Opinions Please?

• My mom used taper candles with hurricane glasses and flowers around the bottom. They looked kind of like a centerpiece, but nicer. This is the closest image I could find to what she had (hers had fresh flowers).
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would go for battery operated candles because it will be safer & easier. But if you want them to do real, then you have to account for something at the bottom of the candle to catch any dripping wax so that it doesn't land on your bridesmaids hands (ouch). Or find a candle opera that the bridesmaid could put the candles in as they approach the alter and then it would also double as a decoration. The GM could do the same thing so you have to candle holders to use as display.

• I can think of a million reasons why this is a bad idea.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Lighted candles?  I would not be okay with carrying that.

• I don't really understand the negative reaction to this. I've carried a lit candle tons of times without incident, including in a church.

I will say that if the ceremony is more than a few minutes, I would have something set up so they can place the candles in it at the altar so they don't have to hold them the entire time.

I also wouldn't do this at 1 PM. It doesn't make any sense.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
  • I think it looks nice in this example: http://thiscannotbemylife.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/candles-during-the-ceremony.jpg

But I reiterate, in the evening only, and with the comfort of those carrying them in mind first and foremost.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
  • It wouldnt be nice even if the room is dark with no sunlight. people would walk into the ambiance after being outside in the sun and be surprised?
  • I don't really understand the negative reaction to this. I've carried a lit candle tons of times without incident, including in a church.

I will say that if the ceremony is more than a few minutes, I would have something set up so they can place the candles in it at the altar so they don't have to hold them the entire time.

I don't like to walk holding a lit candle. 

• I would totally set my boobs on fire.

Since its going to be daytime, and I assume your church wont be totally pitch black. Can you have real candles lit around the church and have your BMs carry a candle with a fake flame? I have seen pillar candles with fake flames that look like a reall flame since they flicker and move.

BabyFruit Ticker

I think it's the safety issue: people are worried about burning themselves or other people or things around them.
  • KatWAG said:

I would totally set my boobs on fire.

Since its going to be daytime, and I assume your church wont be totally pitch black. Can you have real candles lit around the church and have your BMs carry a candle with a fake flame? I have seen pillar candles with fake flames that look like a reall flame since they flicker and move.

yes thats exactly what im doing. Real candles will be in the backdrop and everything else will be led or something. Oh i just thought about like glowsticks or something in a frosted vase. that would be so much cheaper. How orange are the orange ones? Too orange huh? Maybe white? 
  • The orange are very orange,kind of neon. If you want an orange glow I would paint the vase with either a thin layer of orange paint & then put white glow stick or candle in it. Or since it won't be  real flame or something that gets warm, try putting orange tuelle or tissue paper inside the vase  kind of lining it, then the light light inside.

Good luck, I'm sure it's going to be beautiful. Very creative also.

• I think it is a beautiful idea, but I would be caught off guard during daytime hours. Could you incorporate it into the reception if your reception is evening??
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd ask the pastor if you can test it one afternoon - maybe also bring a camera to see what it will look like in pictures.

• Gina0887 said:
    I think it is a beautiful idea, but I would be caught off guard during daytime hours. Could you incorporate it into the reception if your reception is evening??
    Im thinking about it. I found diyuplighting.com as well. Its just so hard to let go of what ive always pictured. My reception will run into the evening but it has big windows so guests wont get that wow factor of the ambiance i want they will just ease into it. Im so upset about the whole thing i wish i could just have an evening wedding. BUT i will not dwell and ill make the best of it.
  • I don't think this will have the effect you want during daylight hours.  Evening would be better.JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @coronado11 it is your wedding and you can do whatever vision you have, but I do believe the wow factor of the ambiance would be multiplied during evening hours and may just seem dark during daytime hours. Random thought, but what about fiber optics in the bouquets and slightly dim lighting?
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards