Wedding Invitations & Paper

Money Instead of Registry

My fiance and I have been living together in a house we have been fixing up for over a year now, so we have already bought the majority of our household items (bedding, dishes, etc) so we were wanting to ask for money to install an air conditioner in our renovated house instead of traditional gifts. What would be a polite way to include it on our invitations that we would like gifts of the flat and green variety without sounding greedy?

Re: Money Instead of Registry

• bmmcqueen said:
    My fiance and I have been living together in a house we have been fixing up for over a year now, so we have already bought the majority of our household items (bedding, dishes, etc) so we were wanting to ask for money to install an air conditioner in our renovated house instead of traditional gifts. What would be a polite way to include it on our invitations that we would like gifts of the flat and green variety without sounding greedy?
    You don't, you create a very small registry and spread through word of mouth that you are trying to save up for stuff. People aren't stupid, they will get the hint. And you should never mention gifts on an invite.
  • bmmcqueenbmmcqueen member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2014
    Thanks ladies! At this point, I really wish Home Depot had a registry, since most of the things we need are in the category of paint, tools, hardware etc. I like the idea of making a small registry to kind of drop the hint.

Really, I am just forgoing the bridal shower altogether and having a Bride/Groom wedding shower/cookout. We are requesting guests not to bring gifts, but really it's just a get-together for a small group of friends and family before the wedding.

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it :)
  • bmmcqueen said:
    Thanks ladies! At this point, I really wish Home Depot had a registry, since most of the things we need are in the category of paint, tools, hardware etc. I like the idea of making a small registry to kind of drop the hint.

Really, I am just forgoing the bridal shower altogether and having a Bride/Groom wedding shower/cookout. We are requesting guests not to bring gifts, but really it's just a get-together for a small group of friends and family before the wedding.

I would just call it a gathering/ get together/cookout then, and not a shower.
  • @bmmcqueen - have you considered a registry at Sears?  They have tools and such that you may need.

• Menards has a registry too. Check with Home Depot if that's where you prefer to shop--they might have one too.
  • If you do an amazon registry, they have an option to link items from any other website into your registry there.  You can have it put a toolbar on your web browser, so if you look on Home Depot site and find something you want, you can add it to your amazon registry with just click of one button.  Then your amazon registry will have a link to the Home Depot website. We used this to help limit our number of registries or to add a few items that would be only item from a particular store (like artwork we wanted).

• @bmmcqueen - have you considered a registry at Sears?  They have tools and such that you may need.
    Sadly, I don't believe Sears allows you to register for tools. They might have changed that policy though.

Anniversary
  • Similar situation to yours-- so we chose not to register - for anything. I also did not have any showers. In the end we got about 75% cash/checks, 20% gift cards and 5% physical boxed gifts, that were randomly but lovingly selected by our guests. 

Having a small registry is always helpful for the folks who want to buy you a physical gift so they can get something you want. If you want money, don't register or have a very small registry. People will get the hint or they may ask you or a close family member (i.e. your mom) what to get you.  If they ask you can say, we are saving for home improvements. This is perfectly fine and polite since the info was requested. People can then make their own decision on what to give.

(I know you didn't ask but -- You will not receive more in gifts than you are spending on the wedding. The idea of people covering the cost of their plate is not a real thing. If you expect to make money off a wedding via the gifts, you'll be super sad :( So remember to budget and stick to it. You can properly host your guests on very little money. Starting your new life together in debt is not a good idea.)

Everyone knows money is always an appropriate and appreciated gift, you don't have to register for it. Your guests know you want it, don't be rude and tell them. :) 

A wedding gift is never to be expected. You should never mention gifts or registries on any correspondence from the couple (i.e. STDs and invites).

GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• chibiyui said:
    @bmmcqueen - have you considered a registry at Sears?  They have tools and such that you may need.
    Sadly, I don't believe Sears allows you to register for tools. They might have changed that policy though.
    Well that is kind of ridiculous.

• It can't be done politely, because the request, no matter how you worded it, would make you appear greedy.

Don't mention gifts at all in your invitations, don't register, and don't agree to any showers.  People may decide to give you cash anyway, but you can't ask for it.
  • bmmcqueen said:

I have heard that Home Depot will let you create a registry. They don't have it online and the stores aren't linked so you could only create it at your local Home Depot. That might be a little inconvenient to your out of town guests, but it would help people know that you are looking to fix up your house.
  • Son-in-law registered for tools from Amazon, and they received all of them!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • OP, I'd suggest an online registry like Amazon - smaller is fine if you don't need much.

But, I have to echo PP's - please don't list anything on the invitation (or mention it to anyone unless you're asked first!)
  • As much as I shop on Amazon, I surprisingly never thought to do our registry through them. Thanks again ladies! This should do the trick :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards