Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What flavor is your cake?

We had the tasting this past weekend and it was all delicious. However, I didn't get to try any "exciting" flavors - just standard chocolate, red velvet, etc. The baker did say they can do others; they just showed us the most common ones. Our cake will be 4 tiers and we can have a different flavor on each tier so I am trying to get some more ideas. Tell me your flavors!

Re: What flavor is your cake?

• Hubby and I had red velvet with cannoli cream filling.  I'm dreaming about having a frozen slice on our 1st anniversary this weekend.

My baker had offered to make our four tiers each a different flavor/filling combo, but I was worried about guests looking around and seeing those around them having something different (possibly something they would've preferred) so I just stuck with one flavor for everyone. 

Cake-tasting is one of the best parts of wedding planning, enjoy! :)

• We are doing chocolate w/ chocolate mousse filling and yellow w/ banana cream filling. I personally like when couples do normal flavors for the wedding cake. I think sometimes couples get so caught up in everything being so special that they have these crazy flavors and they end up not really being that good or appealing to a large number of people.
  • We had cupcakes so we had 5 different flavors.  They were:
    1) Chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting
    2) Red Velvet
    3) Smores cupcake (graham cracker cake with chocolate center and marshmallow frosting)
    4) Snickerdoodle
    5) Vanilla cake with white icing

I also agree with tammy.  I prefer less crazy flavors for wedding cakes.  I mean the craziest flavor we had was the smores and even that is tame compared to what we could have gotten. Normal/everyday flavors are liked by the masses.

• Ours was blackberry lime—yellow cake with lime zest, filled with lime curd and blackberry jam, and frosted with plain buttercream. We also had salted caramel brownies and mini carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
  • OMG - key lime cupcakes - I would stalk the leftovers.

We had chocolate/caramel/turtle, white with lemon filling, white with raspberry filling, and carrot cake for the groom's cake.

I pretty much just love me some good cake.  I still don't get all the fuss about red velvet but, hey - I don't discriminate, that is welcome too.

• Thanks, all! Of the ones we tried, we are for sure doing cannoli filling and chocolate ganache filling. I really love almond flavored things so I think I want one tier almond cake but not sure what filling would go with that.
  • We had layers of chocolate cake and layers of banana cake.  The filling was fresh bananas and chocolate truffle. 
  • We're looking for two cakes (wedding cake and groom's cake). We're hoping to have vanilla+fruit filling for the groom's cake, and spice cake for the main cake. I'm not a fan of fruit in my dessert.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • We had dark chocolate bourbon cake with vanilla filling and white chocolate cake with strawberry filling.  Both were awesome.  I don't know how we're going to choose between them for our anniversary cake!
  • I worked at a wedding cake place for a while a few years ago. The woman I worked for made the most amazing apple pie cake. YUMM

We haven't gone tasting yet. 
  • Thanks, all! Of the ones we tried, we are for sure doing cannoli filling and chocolate ganache filling. I really love almond flavored things so I think I want one tier almond cake but not sure what filling would go with that.
    I think raspberry would go nicely with almond.

• Viczaesar said:

Thanks, all! Of the ones we tried, we are for sure doing cannoli filling and chocolate ganache filling. I really love almond flavored things so I think I want one tier almond cake but not sure what filling would go with that.

I was just going to say that @Viczaesar!
    I was just going to say that @Viczaesar!

Great minds - or would that be stomachs?

• LOL raspberry sounds like a good idea! I think we will do almond with raspberry, chocolate with ganache, marble with cannoli, and vanilla with whipped cream and strawberries. And clearly I will want a piece of all of them!
  • I want all of these cakes.
  • We're doing apple & cinnamon cake, tiramisu, and black forest cake.

Anniversary
  • I think we are doing 3 tier with Vanilla w/ Strawberry filling, chocolate, and lemon. Then the grooms cake will be almond with some sort of almond filling, since that's his favorite. I hope it gives everyone enough variety!
  • We did cupcakes and had "Lemon Dream Supreme," "Strawberry Shortcake," and "Amaretto Almond." I really wanted all 3 to be more exotic/interesting flavors like the Amaretto, but someone pointed out to me that not everybody likes that and that we should just go with "normal" flavors to appeal to the masses. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • we had 2 layers of chocolate cake with raspberry cream filling & 2 with vanilla cake with lemon cream filling. both were amazing!
  • We had 3 layers (top was red velvet) other 2 were red velvet and italian creme. For a grooms "cake" we had blueberry cobbler (DHs favorite dessert)
  • Bride's cake: vanilla ( yellow cake vanilla icing)
    Grooms cake : red velvet
  • emmyg65 said:
    I want all of these cakes.
    Whenever I'm provided options and I want them all I just say

"Yes."
  • I've been craving cake constantly since I started wedding planning... And I just finished the one I made for my fiance's birthday!

Ours is going to be marble with irish cream filling and chocolate with cream cheese filling. Chocolate buttercream frosting for the outside. 
  • I'm debating between french vanilla or watermelon. 
  • @AddieL73 - Amaretto Almond sounds amazinggggg. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
  • MrsLynn said:
    I'm debating between french vanilla or watermelon. 
    I have never heard of watermelon cake. I'm intrigued. Is the cake itself watermelon or just the filling. What does it taste like?
  • Almond flavored cake with raspberry jelly layer
  • We're doing lemon cake (very light, subtle lemon flavor) with fresh strawberries and cream cheese buttercream frosting. Decided on only one flavor because I know when I'm presented with a choice, I want them all! Didn't want to run out because because people took 3 pieces. PLUS flower girl is deathly allergic to nuts and seeds so that eliminated a lot of the second options I might have chosen, like hazelnut or peanut butter.

• tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    We are doing a strawberry cake with white chocolate frosting/filling, chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and fresh strawberries, vanilla cake with cannoli filling, and a tres leche sheet cake!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Three tier cake....bottom, carrot cake with cream cheese filing; middle, banana with cream cheese filing; top, white with strawberry filing. It will all be covered in homemade marshmallow fondant

Groom's cake...funfetti-ish with strawberry fillling; butter cream icing.
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards