Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NER: Just Sad :( *Updated with happier news*

ChemFanatic25ChemFanatic25 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited February 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
So I made plans to visit my dad's grave tomorrow because it's his birthday and he died six months ago so the wounds are fresh. I then was planning on attending a Brides Against breast Cancer event in my hometown. I planned to do all of this with my sister and we were both pretty excited.

Things changed though. My sister is in college and studying for a really big exam. She didn't realize how much she needed to study - okay, no big deal, she just won't attend BABC with me. So one reason I'm sad is because I'm going alone and would have loved to spend time with her (she's be so busy with school and sometimes it's hard to get her to visit).

we then planned to visit my dad's grave and my mom said she wanted to bring her new girlfriend. I've only met her once and my sister has never met her. I was kind of hurt that my mom wanted to bring someone new to a very personal affair. I told her that now would not be a good time but it still bothered me that she wanted to make it a social affair - she did this with his funeral. She was so angry about where he was to be buried because all of her friends couldn't come now and she basically pouted the whole time. I almost want to tell her not to come (they were going through a divorce when he passed away and it was not an amicable parting of ways) but I know it's not my place. So that's my second reason for being sad and why I feel this ache in my chest.

I know I need to grow up and get over it. I guess I'm just venting and sad.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: NER: Just Sad :( *Updated with happier news*

• Options
    I'm so sorry. I agree with JC about the private time. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

I am so sorry that you are going through this.  This is a very tough situation and I wouldn't wish this on anyone.  I don't think your mom isn't necessarily trying to be hurtful, but I do feel like she should respect your wishes.  Just because her and your father were getting divorced doesn't mean that you have hte same feeling towards him that she does.  I personally would rather it be a family only thing until the wounds are a little more healed.

The loss of anyone is hard on us, but the loss of a parent is by far one of the most difficult.  I think t would be beneficial for you to go alone too, and take some time to be alone with your thoughts and emotions.  For the record I don't think you are being immature or have to get over anything...I think you are being a normal adult responsding in the way most people would in your situation.  Just try to remember all of the good and with time, it will continue to get better.

• Options

You don't need to grow up and get over it, you are on your journey of what life is like now without him.

I am 53 and my parents died at different times when I was a child.  It is honestly harder now than when I was younger.  I don't spend a lot of time on their loss now because I did mourn (as a child) and did some grief counseling as an adult.  I learned I needed to grieve their loss as an adult too.  My dad has been gone for 50 years and my mom for 43.

It isn't something you get over - you learn what the new "normal" is and you figure out how to make that work in your life so you can go on.  You take the time that YOU need - I am sorry about your mom acting so non-chalantly about your planned visit to his grave.  Many warm hugs to you.

• Options
    No matter how old you are losing someone your close to especially a parent is difficult and will take a long time to heal. I'm so sorry for your loss! *hugs I'd go alone because after all you won't truly be alone. You will be with your dads spirit
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. I just needed a place to let out my feelings and I didn't want to hurt my sister or mom's feelings. I thought this was the best place and it was. Thank you so much :)

@kmmssg, you're completely right. I need to learn to live a new life, one without my dad. It's hard to remember that at times but I'll try my best.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. I just needed a place to let out my feelings and I didn't want to hurt my sister or mom's feelings. I thought this was the best place and it was. Thank you so much :)@kmmssg, you're completely right. I need to learn to live a new life, one without my dad. It's hard to remember that at times but I'll try my best.

That bold part IS all you can do.  You can't change the circumstances, you can't make him come back.  You also can't let your life flush down the toilet.  You just take the time you need, grieve, learn to smile again, and learn to laugh when you share memories.  It happens when it happens.  You can't force it.  Now...if you get stuck and just can't move on, I strongly encourage grief counseling.

In the personal counseling I have done I came to the conclusion that I honor my parents best by living my life to its' fullest.  I try to do that.  You will find your way and your dad would want you too.

• Options
    Hugs for you Chem
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Hugs.  This is something you don't need to "grow up and get over."  Loss of a parent is painful, regardless of how old you are.

I agree that you could make your visit to your father's grave private time.
  • Options
    I just realized I can't post pictures from my phone so I'll do that in a little while.
  • Options
    Sorry for the multiple posts :/
  • Options
    So glad to hear there was a brighter point in your day.  I can't wait to see the pictures of your dress.

Oh - and those emotions that spilled over when you were in the car?  For me, those are a very healthy thing when all is said and done.  In my case it means I am an ugnly-crying, snotty mess, but when it's over it helps me take my next baby step.  Sometimes those baby-steps do far more good than a one mile leap.

I lost 2 of my brothers in 2006.  I have been able to find the place where I have peace with the loss of one of them.  The other one?  I can still become an ugly crying snotty mess.  This one is requiring micro-baby steps.  Any step forward is a great accomplishment.

Soooo, let's see that dress!
  • Options
    That dress is stunning, and you look beautiful in it! 
  • Options
    OK - super gorgeous dress!  You look gorgeous in it.
  • Options
    Thank you so much. I'm so glad I went. I really am. Everyone's advice and encouraging words really helped me and I cannot say thank you enough!
  • Options
    Beautiful dress!!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    That dress is beautiful! I'm glad that things went well for you. One step and a time, one day at a time.

It's been over 12 years since I lost my dad, and I'm still not "over it". I miss him every day, especially now with the wedding coming up, but I've learned to reframe my thoughts. Instead of "I'm so sad that he won't be able to see me on my big day", I think "Oh, he and Nana and FI's mom are probably laughing in Heaven at how ridiculous I look trying to do XYZ!" It didn't happen overnight, though. This really took many years and a lot of sob-sessions. 

Big hugs to you and congrats on finding such a gorgeous dress!!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I'm so glad to hear your day had a bright spot.  And that dress is lovely!  You look really happy in that pic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Lovely dress!  I'm glad you were able to go to BABC and it brightened your day.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    That dress is beautiful! I'm glad that things went well for you. One step and a time, one day at a time.

It's been over 12 years since I lost my dad, and I'm still not "over it". I miss him every day, especially now with the wedding coming up, but I've learned to reframe my thoughts. Instead of "I'm so sad that he won't be able to see me on my big day", I think "Oh, he and Nana and FI's mom are probably laughing in Heaven at how ridiculous I look trying to do XYZ!" It didn't happen overnight, though. This really took many years and a lot of sob-sessions. 

Big hugs to you and congrats on finding such a gorgeous dress!!
    I know I will get to that point one day but I have a feeling that when I get married in a year that I will not be at that point. I'm going to miss that he isn't there on our big day but one day :D
  • Options
    I know I will get to that point one day but I have a feeling that when I get married in a year that I will not be at that point. I'm going to miss that he isn't there on our big day but one day :D
    I would definitely not expect you to be healed in such a short amount of time, especially with the stress of planning the wedding on top of your grief. My dad died at the start of my junior year in college. I had a hard time dealing with it, especially when I thought about what it would be like to not have him cheering for me when I finally got my diploma. I worked with a really great grief counselor at my college who helped me move forward, one little baby step at a time. I was for sure super sad at my graduation and spent the entire evening drinking and crying in my dorm because my friends were all out with their parents and I was alone. Looking back, I can see that it wasn't the fact that my dad wasn't there that upset me to that point - it was that I let myself be all alone when I should have been letting the people who wanted to be there for me actually be there.

tl;dr It will take time to heal, but keep taking those baby steps. And don't think you have to go through it alone. Let your friends/family/therapist help you.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    You are gorgeous, inside and out. I hope that everything goes well for you.
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards