Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Family Style meal = No room for large centerpieces?

We're having family style platters of food brought to each table, the original table decor was large urns with flowers spilling over, but now I'm thinking of putting smaller vases around the table so there is more room. Has anyone been to a wedding that was served family style? Should we scrap the table decor? Obviously candles are a no go because there will be passing around and handing over. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Family Style meal = No room for large centerpieces?

• I think the only centerpieces that would work would be a simple low vase or a tall centerpiece with a slender container.

• I would probably be that person who knocks over the centerpiece when passing a platter. My concern with a family style meal is having enough food so that everyone at each table gets what they want and enough to be full because there is a finite amount of food to be shared.
  • @Ven&Radio  the caterers I've talked to about family style is that the staff keep an eye out for when platters get low and they refill them. I would just check with the caterers though to make sure they plan for that.
  • You might be able to have narrow candlesticks or something like that as centerpieces, but for a family-style meal, you do want to make sure that there is the maximum amount of room on the table so that platters can be placed on the table and passed with the least amount of trouble.
  • Perhaps something small and low so it won't get knocked over easily
  • I had a Family style Dinner, and fairly large center peices. Granted, my tables were all rectangular tables about 8-10 ft long. 
    It worked out great, because that (everything fitting) was a huge concern of mine.
    As for family style itself, our guests really loved it!! There was plenty of food to go around (staff refilled the platters as they emptied) and there was usually only 1-2 platters on the table at a time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards