Connecticut

Gown budget

Hi all! I will be going dress shopping in about two weeks. I certainly have an idea of what I am willing to spend, but I def. have no clue what the 'average' budget/price for the gowns are. I am in Fairfield county and know that the area is expensive, so I am a bit worried about that... I am also avoiding David's bridal, etc. and I am instead going to bridal salons. Any input on what I can expect the prices to be for the area?

Re: Gown budget

• buddysmom80buddysmom80 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014

I set my budget for dress, alterations, and undergarments for $2000. I got my dress through Alfred Angelo in Manchester and once everything is done I'll hit the $2000 budget. If I lived in Fairfield County and wanted a bridal salon experience, I would've doubled that budget.

FYI: If you're in Fairfield County (or anywhere in CT) if you spend over $1000 on one article of clothing the sales tax jumps up to 8.25%. My friend got her wedding dress in NJ and paid 0 sales tax, since you're already on that end of the state, it might be something to consider to take the quick trip to NJ.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • My mother very graciously offered to outfit me for the big day and set a $2000 budget. We've found some places that are in that budget, some places that aren't and then theres Davids Bridal, which I have personal issues with. Since CT is a relatively small state, I would suggest getting outside of fairfield county to look for dresses. A dress I saw at a shop there was $3000+, while that same dress was cheaper elsewhere in the state.
  • It all depends - every shop will have a wide range of prices, they have too after all! I went dress shopping "without a budget" per my mom's instructions. I tried on dress that ranged from $600-16,000 - I ended up falling in love with a dress that was only $830!!! So it's not always about the budget - it's about the feeling! 
    It might be a bit of a drive but Mariella's Creations was where I went shopping and is was highly recommended by friends.It was a wonderful experience! They have a ton of dresses and the staff was AWESOME! 
    Good luck!! 
  • bridal bells in berlin central ct area. has gowns starting at 500 up to about 1300 she carrys lots of options for brides of all sizes from size 0-30 she even has off the rack gowns you can purchase that day. she has great reviews and lots of dresses to try i ended up spending 1000 on my dress. the owner is awesome!!! she knows what dresses would look good on you and she has everything from mermaids to ballgowns and everything else in between.

the designers she carries are
    mori lee
    jasmine
    venus
    some bonny
    and a few others

mariealla's i heard was good but if you need to try on larger size gowns they only have one in stock the rest are all true sample sizes 10s 8s 12s
  • My budget was $1500. I got my Mori Lee at Bridal Bells for $800.  Haven't started on veil, undergarments or alterations.
  • My budget for my gown was $5000, and I fell in love with a dress that was $1700.  
  • Thank you so much for all the input!!!
  • Mariella's in Rocky Hill is awesome and also The Wedding Dress in Portland. Both about an hour or so from Fairfield County.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I went to Alfred Angelo in Manchester and ya know what? They were more personable, more friendly, and less pushy than ANY of the small bridal boutiques i went to. PLUS they let me take pictures of the dress and gave me all the numbers, 3 different little shops wouldnt even give me the numbers for the dresses i tried on so i couldnt go elsewhere and buy it for cheaper... I HIGHLY recommend Brittani and AA (if you like their dresses) I didnt like the DB up there though, the person they stuck me with was working 2 brides at once and left my MOH to fend with getting me dressed and ready and didnt even give me things like a corset or slip to help make the dresses look like they are supposed to. Anyway, my dress was 975, I havent gotten it yet to alter it, but it shouldnt be too bad. ALSO, one of my bridesmaids had to get her dress rushed... it cost her $5. (she had 20 off because i got mine at AA and it was $25 to rush it so she only paid 5!!)
  • Thanks again for the info everyone. I set a $2000 budget for the gown, and found the one at Julie Allen Bridals in Newtown. They let me take pictures, I tried on tons of dresses, and they have a set price for alterations. All in all I think my budget will cover gown, veil, and alterations. I highly recommend.... Just in case someone stumbles upon this thread and is curious.
  • Love Julie Allen! Their set price for alterations is great. I've been working with the seamstress Kessy (sp?) there and she is just wonderful. She's done everything I asked on my dress and looks exactly as I imagined. We also ordered my bridesmaid dresses there. They have a great selection, particularly of Bill Levkoff which is what we ended up with.
  • frost2fa said:
    I went to Alfred Angelo in Manchester and ya know what? They were more personable, more friendly, and less pushy than ANY of the small bridal boutiques i went to. PLUS they let me take pictures of the dress and gave me all the numbers, 3 different little shops wouldnt even give me the numbers for the dresses i tried on so i couldnt go elsewhere and buy it for cheaper... I HIGHLY recommend Brittani and AA (if you like their dresses) I didnt like the DB up there though, the person they stuck me with was working 2 brides at once and left my MOH to fend with getting me dressed and ready and didnt even give me things like a corset or slip to help make the dresses look like they are supposed to. Anyway, my dress was 975, I havent gotten it yet to alter it, but it shouldnt be too bad. ALSO, one of my bridesmaids had to get her dress rushed... it cost her $5. (she had 20 off because i got mine at AA and it was $25 to rush it so she only paid 5!!)

Brittani was my consultant too! I loved working with her!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • shes so amazing. I have to bring her Truffles next time i go up. YAY Brittani!! and congrats to Almie for finding what you were looking for!!
  • I have to say, I got my dress at Julie Allen too... when I had to postpone my wedding she held it in storage for me forever and didn't charge me a thing for keeping it!  You can't beat that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards